Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
White Family Rotary, complete with dead spiders >

White Family Rotary, complete with dead spiders

White Family Rotary, complete with dead spiders

Old 03-31-2018, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
You should take a look at the motor. There is some advantages to having two hands free when maneuvering seams and fabric. The hand crank can give precision stitching, but in the long run it's usually the machine with motor and lights that gets any use. Your machine looks like it's in very nice condition and it will probably polish up further, it's wirht to have it intact. Needle and presser bar polish up like new with the right stuff (like quick-glo). Be a bit careful when handeling the top tensioner. White had these very fancy tensioners on some models, and it has turned out very difficult to get them back together if taken appart. Cleaning and reassembling tensioners are usually easy, but yours might be an exception. There aren't any tutorials or service manuals available for how it originally was done either.
I kept the motor and I might fix it someday. But I already have two other machines and there’s nothing this one can do that they can’t, except if I put the crank on it and can take it out where there’s not an outlet
Old 04-01-2018, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
..., excepept if I put the crank on it and can take it out where there’s not an outlet
I shall not prevent you from it, but there are more portable machines than a White Rotary in a cabinet. I have heard a few here take their machine out on the porch to sew, hand cranks in particular. Some have managed to fit a hand crank to a Featherweight, but I don't think it turnd out as handy as a hand krank 99. There are these Japanese 99 clones, cast aluminium and I think some have managed to fit them with a basic Singer hand crank. Either way, I'm sure you will make something that will work for your situation ;- )

I keep an old flatbed straight stitcher too, it's my favorite. I need a freearm sometimes, it makes all the difference sometimes and it has very even nice zigzag. I have yet a few others, but I actually only need two machines.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:33 AM

i took off the throat plate and one of the screws seems to be a wood screw
Old 04-01-2018, 01:02 PM

A singer crank isn't going to work. And if you try to drill and tap into cast iron you will only ruin the value of the machine.
It isn't usually a big deal to rewire and repair the old motor. You also usually can find another motor or needed parts
on Bonanza or ebay. You may have to watch for awhile but they usually show up. One guy on Bonanza is a really
good source for parts on Rotary machines. There are several of these machines on ebay now and you can usually
find the books there also.
Show us a picture of the motor and I can tell you if I have seen them.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
I shall not prevent you from it, but there are more portable machines than a White Rotary in a cabinet. I have heard a few here take their machine out on the porch to sew, hand cranks in particular. Some have managed to fit a hand crank to a Featherweight, but I don't think it turnd out as handy as a hand krank 99. There are these Japanese 99 clones, cast aluminium and I think some have managed to fit them with a basic Singer hand crank. Either way, I'm sure you will make something that will work for your situation ;- )

I keep an old flatbed straight stitcher too, it's my favorite. I need a freearm sometimes, it makes all the difference sometimes and it has very even nice zigzag. I have yet a few others, but I actually only need two machines.
Haha i paid the shop too much to get my 99 running to take the motor off now :P. Plus i dont have a base for it (it came in a cabinet) and its feet arent long enough to have the bobbin workings clear a table its sitting on, while the Whites feet are.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:46 PM

Don't spend too much time and energy modifying your White, it's a nice machine. A 99 needs a base I know, my 99 came in a bent wood case. A 3/4 size hand crank will come your way and at the right price, I promise. Just keep an eye out and be a bit patient. A 99 or 128 hand crank is luckily easy to get going again and usually doesn't cost anything. I am on the look for a Gritzner long bobbin, just for the nice looking decals ;- )