White machine- no cabinet

Old 08-14-2013, 06:59 AM

Default White machine- no cabinet

While at my MILs, I came across an ols machine. My SIL says all that stuff is getting pitched because it's just junk. I found out that the bobbin case is missing and the machine had been taken out of the cabinet. My MIl says the bobbin case is probably around somewhere, but the way my SIl gets rid of stuff and doesn't sew, she could've pitched it not knowing what it was. The machine belonged to DH paternal grandmother. I was told to take it if I wanted it, but what if I can't find the bobbin case? Are they as expensive as the ones for FW? I believe this is a treadle machine as there was no cord, etc.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

I have an old machine I rigged up with a knob so my DGKs can 'sew' on card stock. All they do is paper but they love it. It gives them a chance to 'sew' and me not worry about thread getting tangled up. And it gives a little life to an old machine. I posted pics of what I did with a messed up old Singer 66: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...x-t227428.html With no bobbin and in bad shape you might give it some thought.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:10 AM

Can you get a photo(s)? We can tell you better if it is worth your time if we can see it. Old Whites can be great machines. Parts can be found if it is a common type.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:46 AM

I'd at least grab it to save it.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:19 PM

I agree- save it now, and worry about bits and pieces when you can spend some time looking it over. Parts are available, probably from folks here.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:43 AM

I picked it up last night when I went to my MILs. It's definitely a treadle head. It was her MILs. She says the missing parts are probably in the garage somewhere, but if the base is still there why isn't the machine in it? The decals are in great shape but there is some rust. It does look salvageable to me. [ATTACH=CONFIG]439097[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]439098[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg