"Winthrop" VSM

Old 01-08-2020, 08:47 PM

Perhaps the 27 has a "boss", and can be made into a handcrank (make a simple base for it)? Then you could have an electric, a treadle, and an HC.
Singer 27s and some 66s share similar parts...low shank feet, spool pins. Easily gotten, including shuttle and bobbin for the 27. Most straight stitch machines just need that good oiling and are ready to sew again.
I agree, the price on the Winthrop is high. The name may be the name of the store that sold it, hardware or department...
Old 01-09-2020, 07:19 AM

I agree with the others. The price is too high for that machine. If it is like the one that Janey linked, its a class 15 clone, which is a straight stitcher. I've sold much nicer machines than that for $75.00. In fact, I've given away some that were nicer than that.

For $125.00, you could get a nice Singer 15-91 if you are just after a straight stitcher. It might take a month or so of checking the online places like craigslist, offerup and facebook marketplace regularly, but they appear pretty often. I bought a Singer 301 for $50.00 a few months ago, which I consider desirable.

Generally speaking, badged machines are not very desirable. That's a generality of course. Some people collect badged machines made by Brother. Some really nice badged machines were sold by Sears.

This is just my opinion. If that machine makes your heart go "pitter-patter", then, by all means, buy it. It doesn't make my heart go "pitter-patter" at any price. Again, that's just me.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 01-09-2020 at 07:22 AM. Reason: another thought
Old 01-09-2020, 10:25 AM

Update! Went back this morning and looked at the 3 machines. Thank you everyone for the information and advice.

I've been thinking that the 15 clone price was way too high. It's a pretty machine, but for that kind of money, I'd expect it to have all the attachments, completely cleaned, no veneer starting to come off the table, an espresso machine, etc., etc., etc. lol I still wouldn't pay that price, though. I may keep my eye on it just to see if the price comes down, a lot. Anyway, my life isn't over because I didn't get it.

Buuuuttt, I did bring home the 66. Yes, it is a 66 (I took a list of the numbers from ismacs with me to make sure). She just needs to be cleaned up. I think I can easily take the paint splatters off, (after I watch the videos linked on this board and reading again the thread by Glenn). Wires all look good, no fraying. And for $20, it's a good project to start with.

I'll try and post pictures of the 66, but also the Winthrop and the 27 that are still for sale.

Was it me who said "I never thought about having more than one machine?" I'm going to eat those words.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:30 AM

Hoooray. we have started the corruption. Sometimes on on-iine sites I'll send a note after a few weeks. "I see you haven't sold it yet. I am in no hurry but if you will take $xx, I'll buy it. Sometimes it has worked.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Hoooray. we have started the corruption. Sometimes on on-iine sites I'll send a note after a few weeks. "I see you haven't sold it yet. I am in no hurry but if you will take $xx, I'll buy it. Sometimes it has worked.
You're just evil. In such a good way! haha. It's actually on the way into town. No, I'm not going to stop every time, every other time, maybe!
Old 01-09-2020, 12:08 PM

Janey, thank you for the tip about resizing the pictures in photos. It worked. Don't know what I'd be doing wrong before but I just couldn't get the size right or saved right or something. Now I just need to remember what I did!
C-
Old 01-09-2020, 12:17 PM

Default Winthrop

I was able to get a couple of pictures. Nope, I didn't bring her home. Asking too much. I'm kind of excited about my new 66.
Attached Thumbnails winthrop-1.jpg   winthrop-2.jpg  
Old 01-09-2020, 03:05 PM

yep, 15 clone. not a bad machine, but not fabulous.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:20 PM

After doing more reading the thread on here about the clones that Janey (?) linked to, I realized it probably was just that. I don't feel bad at all about leaving it there. It's nice, but like you said Leon, it's not fabulous.

I'm more excited about my 66 and maybe if I'm lucky and it's still there, that 27.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:05 PM

Glad I could help. I used to frequent thrift stores, many times a week. The way they have priced machines totally is flabbergasting sometimes. I have seen 15 clones priced at $199.99 and in the same store a Necchi Supernova for $49.99. Granted the Necchi would take more work, but.... A lot of people think the clones are just as good, if not better than an original Singer 15.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.