World Rotary Electric wiring

Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 PM

I have finished cleaning and getting my World Rotary machine I found on CLs. It need the wiring replaced which I think I can do. I am assuming the motor and controller both work. My question is what type of wire do you buy?

Also, is there some cleaning to do to the motor. The brushes had just a pit of carbon on them. But do you open up the motor and clean all the grung from it?

Would you replace the light or just leave it off? It was mounted on the front of the machine so I think it is one that I may burn my hand on. But I may be able to mount it on the back but not sure on the bracket.

Sorry this is so long winded.

Motor showing wires to light - 2 wire
[ATTACH=CONFIG]103273[/ATTACH]

Power cord off machine to controller - 3 wire
[ATTACH=CONFIG]103274[/ATTACH]

controller in cabinet for knee lever
[ATTACH=CONFIG]103275[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-103268.jpe   attachment-103269.jpe   attachment-103270.jpe  
Old 08-24-2010, 08:35 AM

I used 16-2 wire to rewire my foot controller on my Singer 15-91. I just went to Home Depot and bought extension cords and cut off the ends. I couldn't find bulk wiring unless I bought a huge 100 foot roll. I paid less than $8 for a 15 foot cord. Under the Vintage Machines tutorials Billy recommended the 16-2.

Maintaining the integrity:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45814-1.htm

I think the original post about 16-2 is somewhere in here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm
Old 08-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Banned

Lisa my dear now you know why I do not like the new fangled electrical machines. But I think that the whole electricity thing might actually catch on so I might as well get used to it :mrgreen:

I would blow out the gunk/carbon out of the motor with compressed air and then see if you can take the cover off where the wires are coming through for the light and splice on to them if they are not fastened by lugs. I know if you have to deal with unsoldering and resoldering the ends sometimes that doesnt work out so well (at least for me).

Boy that tire on the motor looks like the tires off of an old slot car from back in the day.....

Billy
Old 08-24-2010, 11:55 AM

The tire(s) I think was someone's attempt to do jury rig but they forgot the duct tape. There were three of those thin ones lined up. Two were so brittle they just fell off.

No measurements or part numbers given in the operators manual. So I will try and see if the motor label will help me find more information.

Thanks on the info on the wiring will work for the power cord and light. However, the cable from the machine to the controller is 3 strand, the one on the top of the photo. So do I just get 16 gauge 3 strand for that?

I think I can take the copper lugs off the current cable and use on the new.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Banned

Sounds like a plan Lisa and they sell the lugs at the auto parts stores just pull the vinyl covers off and use it like that.

Billy