Is it worth it

Old 05-20-2014, 05:40 PM

Default Is it worth it

I saw a Wheeler & Wilson machine head priced at $10 but left it where it was. It didn't appear to have any decals, unless they were under paint. I could see the outline of the decals but that's it. Its missing the bobbin parts but it does turn freely. I believe its a #9. If its still there should I go back and get it or stick with my original thought and give it a pass?
Old 05-20-2014, 06:33 PM

It's worth $10 for parts if you want to do that. It's worth the money too if you like projects but if you're not interested in a fairly large project or parting it out you made the right choice.
I'd probably get it in my case with the intention of making it work again.
Rodney
Old 05-20-2014, 06:42 PM

I have 6 that I'm rehabing at the moment so I like the project machines. I just didn't know if I could get the parts to make it whole again. Is there somewhere I can get the bobbin parts and the larger slide plate? I'll go pick it up in the morning since I figure it will still be there, I'm also going to offer the guy $5 just in case its only good for a boat anchor.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 PM

Sounds good. Try the resources sticky. SteveH is the resident expert on truly antique machines. I think he listed a couple possible sources. He's also in the process of rebuilding one. ThayerRags mentioned he sells parts though I don't know if he has what you would need. IIRC J Miller has a WW 9 that he uses and likes so as far as I know they're good machines.
Rodney
Old 05-21-2014, 03:52 AM

J Miller's is the Singer 9W-7 version, otherwise correct.

The WW D9 does use the oh so hard to find donut shaped bobbins though. That wouldn't stop me from getting one in good complete condition in it's cabinet, but one missing parts and no cabinet, that would be too much.

Joe
Old 05-21-2014, 05:12 AM

Ones in bad shape like that aren't hard to find at all. And I'm sure this is one someone bought cheap as they needed the bobbin parts for fixing up a nice one, and now want to dump the rest.

I would never buy one like this to "fix up" it would only be a parts machine. However since the most commonly needed parts are already gone - it's more "tractor" material than anything else.

BTW - I had checked out a Singer D9 earlier this year, but the sellers wouldn't come down in price as it was a "Family heirloom" in rather bad shape with a worn cabinet. I talked them into keeping it and restoring it for future generations, but yesterday I got an email asking if I was still interested, as they'll never get around to fixing it up. Still trying to decide - I have a WW9 and not sure I want a Singer D9 also . . . and though the cabinet is in very rough shape, it does have 6 drawers on it. Hmm- could be worth it for the drawers along. . .

Last edited by Macybaby; 05-21-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Banned

1. I agree with Cathy
2. If you get it and end up with everything you need BUT the bobbin, I'll ship ya one.
3. good idea on the lower price offer
Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 AM

I've heard that the decals on Wheeler and Wilson machines are quite fragile. I'd love to have one.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:58 AM

This discussion brings up a serious weakness of mine. I want to save everything. They're right though. Bobbins, shuttles and slide plates are among the most commonly missing parts. That makes getting replacements more difficult (or at least more expensive) than other parts.
But then logic hardly ever enters into my decision making process. I'd still get it.
Rodney
Old 05-21-2014, 10:02 AM

The worn decals aren't an issue. Have you seen Steve's WW9 project with the custom paint?
When I find a machine (not necessarily a WW) in bad enough condition I think I'll go the custom route on it just for fun.
Steve have you had a chance to finish that one yet?
Rodney