Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Year and how to determin evaluation? >

Year and how to determin evaluation?

Year and how to determin evaluation?

Old 10-15-2012, 12:36 PM

Default Year and how to determin evaluation?

Hi all, I found this machine on our local curb pick up day. People put out stuff that is not ready to be called garbage yet for anyone that wants it free of charge. I got this sewing machine. Best I can figure out is it is approx 1954 and made in St. Johns, Newfoundland Canada.

I was hoping to get more info, specifically confirmation of the date, why I can't find any info on the model and how I determine the value.

The machine is really dusty, I have only plugged it in to see if it works (and it does, both machine and light). Not sure if the cabinet is original or not, has a serial number also stamped on it.

Info from the machine:

Model - 15J

Serial - JD196806

On the very Bottom of the Machine
SIMANCO CAN

8A

Any info appreciated.

PS... I had no luck uploading pics it kept failing. So I made an album of the machine (pics of four angles) at http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/a...ing%20Machine/
Old 10-23-2012, 12:29 PM

Not St John's Newfoundland. St Jean Quebec. Or more accurately
Saint Jean sur Richelieu
http://wikimapia.org/8051938/Singer-...-Machine-Plant

1 way to confirm the date:
mysingerstory.com - at the bottom of the page. It's been known to be wrong though, so take that with a grain of salt. It has the same information usually as here: http://www.singerco.com/support/mach.../double-letter - 1954

Normally I would also link you to the ismacs.net site, but it doesn't have anything for the JD numbers.

Model 15s are pretty much the same. If it's a 15K or a 15, or a 15J, it will work the same, any manual should work.
It looks like a 15-90 (has a motor with a belt), and has perhaps the most common decal set I've seen around here (Alberta)

Value is what someone will pay for it. It differs from place to place. It's not a gold mine though. Model 15s are possibly the most plentiful of any machine Singer ever made. The model started in the 1800s, and continue on to this day (though they look a little different.)
Old 10-23-2012, 10:49 PM

I have this same model, but from 1951, and I would never sell her! She is one of my favorite machines and sews like a dream!