Younkers 15 Clone Rescue

Old 09-10-2013, 10:15 AM

I have a blue machine like that also, badged as a White, and in a cabinet with a knee lever. They are wonderful machines! Congratulations!

I have recently learned something that might help you. Mine does not like cone thread on a thread stand and, in talking with others, I found out that they have Model 15 clones that also don't like cone thread. So I got spool thread just for that machine, and then recently somebody had another way to solve the problem. He (Rob) took a wooden spool, an empty one, and inserted metal eye hook of about 1/4 inch diameter into the top. The then sat the modified spool on top the spool holder, took cone thread, and threaded it through the eye hook before threading it through the rest of the machine. He says it works well and I will soon be trying it. If you try it, please let us know how it works.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
He (Rob) took a wooden spool, an empty one, and inserted metal eye hook of about 1/4 inch diameter into the top. The then sat the modified spool on top the spool holder, took cone thread, and threaded it through the eye hook before threading it through the rest of the machine.
Dah! That's a great idea!! It is so simple and effective, I think I'll use that idea for all my cone, thread stand threading. Thank you so much for sharing that.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
I have a blue machine like that also, badged as a White, and in a cabinet with a knee lever. They are wonderful machines! Congratulations!

I have recently learned something that might help you. Mine does not like cone thread on a thread stand and, in talking with others, I found out that they have Model 15 clones that also don't like cone thread. So I got spool thread just for that machine, and then recently somebody had another way to solve the problem. He (Rob) took a wooden spool, an empty one, and inserted metal eye hook of about 1/4 inch diameter into the top. The then sat the modified spool on top the spool holder, took cone thread, and threaded it through the eye hook before threading it through the rest of the machine. He says it works well and I will soon be trying it. If you try it, please let us know how it works.
Cricket,

I've been making widgets for a couple years now. Here's a couple pics of mine. Not as simple as an empty wooden spool with an eye screwed into it, but a lot more classy.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]435190[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]435191[/ATTACH]

If I run two threads through it they enter the spiral separate, but come out twisted together. Makes a real interesting variegated stitch.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails threadguidec.jpg   threadguideb.jpg  
Old 09-10-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Not as simple as an empty wooden spool with an eye screwed into it, but a lot more classy.
If I run two threads through it they enter the spiral separate, but come out twisted together. Makes a real interesting variegated stitch.

Joe
Joe, that looks "classy." What needle do you use for the twisted thread variegated stitch?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
Joe, that looks "classy." What needle do you use for the twisted thread variegated stitch?
I use a size 16.

Joe