Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is your machine picky about thread? My Pfaff 130 is! >

Is your machine picky about thread? My Pfaff 130 is!

Is your machine picky about thread? My Pfaff 130 is!

Old 11-18-2011, 03:35 PM

Years ago I had a Singer that was very fussy. Would not sew Dual Duty thread. All the rest of my machines have always played nice with threads. Yes, machines can be very fussy, just like people. LOL
Old 11-18-2011, 06:17 PM

Hi MrsBoats,
I too have a Pfaff - YES!!! my girl can be a bit of a problem too. I have found that sometimes Gutterman is the problem. You need to make sure that your Gutterman is NOT from Mexico. If so you will have problems (I use it is my OLD machine and it works fine, but not in the Pfaffs). I have found that sometimes the Gutterman is not put on the spool the same way. I don't know if Gutterman has had problems with tension, but I have found over the last few months it has come off with a twist (so it brakes and brakes and brakes - YES about every 10 stitches). I have found that if I slow down and watch my spool - when it starts to come off with a twist - I will hold onto the thread to keep tension on it without braking. The other thing my Pfaff likes is Sulky. I have also been know to wind bobbins and then put a bobbin on my top as well as bottom (looks dumb - but it works). The other thing that happens with Pfaffs - is you might also have a burr. Good luck!!!
Snooks
Old 11-19-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sallyjane View Post
We just had our local sewing machine repairman as our guest speaker at our guild mtg last night. Wish you could have been there! He talked lot about thread, needles, tension issues...Some spools of thread are made to give up the thread from the top, others from the side. My pfaff has an upright post and a side mounted post to hold the thread. I think most machines do. From what I understand, unless you are making an heirloom quilt, it type of thread does not matter. Synthetic threads could outlive the cotton fabric, and also over time could cut into the fabric, since it is stronger. If I were you, I would just set that thread aside and use what works. Life it too short and you have too many projects to finish (if you are like me). Enjoy your hobby ; )
I mentioned the issue to my osmg, who said much the same thing yours did, apparently. That, and keep trying until I find a brand of cotton it likes. And you're right about the number of projects waiting their turn!

Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
Hi MrsBoats,
I too have a Pfaff - YES!!! my girl can be a bit of a problem too. I have found that sometimes Gutterman is the problem. You need to make sure that your Gutterman is NOT from Mexico. If so you will have problems
Interesting. I'll have to look and see where mine was made. I wonder what the difference is?

Several of the ladies at the sew-in last night have offered me their spool ends-you know, the spool that has too much on it to throw away, but not enough to really start another project. In the next few weeks I should have collected bits of several other brands, so I can see what works or not. Quilters are a generous bunch!
Old 11-19-2011, 06:40 AM

There is nothing more frustrating than thread breaks. Last year I bought some "quality" thread from an Emb Site...I can't use it. ALL of my machines HATE it. Mine seem to like Coats & Clark the best. But it makes me want to cry when I sit and look at this box of beautifully colored thread..I finally hid it from site in the top of the closet. It cost $100...what a waste..
Old 11-20-2011, 06:54 PM

Have you tried using the same thread in the bobbin as you are using on top. I have a machine that will only work by balancing out the top and bottom thread.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:44 PM

My Pfaff loves gutterman! I usually can get any thread to work if I am patient or if I walk away and come back. Like someone said, try the vertical or even the other horizontal if you have an other one on your machine. Try a thread stand in all different positions. Try putting your thread in the freezer overnight, I learned about this years ago, it helps with embroidery threads that break frequently.

Also I prefer pre wound bobbins. I will only use other bobbins if such as in quilting the thread color is important.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by dlf0122quilting View Post
Have you tried using the same thread in the bobbin as you are using on top. I have a machine that will only work by balancing out the top and bottom thread.
I have a machine that was like that too.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:11 AM

Update: I actually took it to my guy, he ran it like a bat out of hell, and just like the car that won't make that noise for the mechanic, he couldn't get the thread to break. I brought it home, and now it doesn't like C&C either.

My assumption is whatever the issue is is between the thread and the needle, not between the needle and the fabric. I may have partially found the problem, but haven't got it solved yet. On the tension unit there's a guide to the left; the thread goes around the tension, through the check spring, then down slightly and back up under this finger. The finger has a groove worn into it where the thread rides. I'm thinking that groove is what's fraying the thread, and by the time it passes through the needle eye a few times, it just can't hang together. It's a mystery why it wouldn't do it for the fixit guy. I suspect I'm going to have to make a trip to Lowe's for super fine sandpaper, but I'm hoping that will solve the issue.