Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: You've just gotta love the 'Little Old Ladies' (3/4 size or smaller vintage machine)

Finally I see a Leader. I have one and the decals were so worn I couldn't read the name.

Cathy,

I have a pair of 99Ks just like yours. One has the single stitch length plate, the other has the double plate. Never could figure out why the difference. They are very close in age and made in the same place.

Joe

From what I understand, the “Red Dot Indicator” (double plate) was a new innovation by Singer to help the operator more easily see the precise stitch length that the lever was positioned at.

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Red Dot??? I didn't see the red dot, I'll have to look closer at mine. It's probably worn off.

Joe

I think it was 1956 when the “Red Dot Indicator” began. The stitch length indicator (pointer) was added to the Singer 401A the same year, as far as I can tell. I think it’s interesting that the Singer 301A continued to be made without any additional stitch length indicator (pointer), and continued as far as I can tell, for the length of its run to 1957. Maybe they already had decided that the 301A production would end the following year?

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

CD,

I'll have to go and check mine. One is from 1954 and the other 1955.

Joe

My two newer 99's are a 54 and a 56. I've got too much stuff piled on top of my cabinet right now to go look for the red dot.

oh - I guess I already said that LOL!!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I just checked my pair of 99Ks. One is a 1954, the other a 1955. The 1955 has the dual grove stitch length plate. And I was right, the red dot is worn off. Next time I get a bottle of red paint handy, I'll put a new dot on it.

Joe

Here's my National Reversew Rex badged Grand X. My DD has already staked her claim on it, and she's only four! (Cute counts A LOT for little girls!) It seems to work well, but just recently got it, so I haven't had much time to get acquainted. The lady I bought her from only used the cabinet as a side table, assured me it didn't work, and even had told her friend there was no foot pedal. Well, we moved it to an outlet, plugged it in, and I opened up the front. The lady gasped as she had no idea it even opened, and lo and behold there was the knee lever! Even before I went to see it I asked for pictures of the front of the machine, and had to tell her which side that was. Anyway, it's in a better place now and well loved already (and yes, the first thing I did was take off that pin catcher! Love seeing all these machines!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice! Congrats on your machine! Check out this blog. http://www.doubleveil.net/zssmp/reversew.htm Zorba has a lot of great info on National machines.

I've determined my 3/4 size Montgomery Wards machine is the Expert B/T. Mine doesn't have the snazzy Art Deco cover on the nose. I'm up to 3 National made machines, all Montgomery Wards brands. The Expert B/T is a Brunswick, my full size rotary is a Damascus and the Streamliner that MacyBaby gave me is Montgomery Wards. I want a Reversew Rex too to round out the set. It also doesn't help that I have a real weakness when it comes to anything Art Deco.
    I just finished rebuilding the rubber drive wheels on two of my Nationals. If you need help with yours just PM me.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

A couple of years a go I bumped in to a blog page on a little green sewing machine, I think was called Sewhandy. Until then I always though the Featherweight was one of a kind, but Standard Sewing Company and General Electrics made comparable machine. It looks so nice, and I don't understand why it didn't become as popular and enduring as the black Singer model. According to the page Singer ended up buyting the company who had lisence to the machine. Here is a link to a virtual museum page on it. Has anyone seen it in real life? If it's cast iron it would be on the heavy side, but if it's aluminium it probably a light weight.

And here is a picture from the Sewmuse page.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-06-2015 at 02:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    According to the article it weighs 12 pounds. I've not seen one but I think Candace has one.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Here's my most recent 3/4 size machine. A SEWMOR VS. It's a copy of the Singer 128, and as best as I can tell uses the same size bobbins and shuttle as the Singers.
    Name:  IMG_6291.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  205.2 KB

I've still got work to do on the case bottom and wee bit more cleaning, but she sews nicely and will fit into my SEWMOR collection well.

Joe

PS: I've really go to work on a less cluttered place to take pics. Sorry about that.
    I love the old iron and wood machines. They're solid and reliable.
    Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
    .....It looks so nice, and I don't understand why it didn't become as popular and enduring as the black Singer model. ..... Has anyone seen it in real life? If it's cast iron it would be on the heavy side, but if it's aluminium it probably a light weight.
    It is light, but it is in NO WAY connected to the Featherweight. (LOT's of folks think it is, but it is not) The mechanism is totally different. This is an OK machine, but not typically a "goto" machine for regular sewing.

It seemed to me quality wise to be about 1/2 way between a toy machine and a singer....

EDIT: It also hold my record for the DUMBEST place to put a stitch length adjuster.... Yes, in front of the needle and in the fabric path so that the fabric can adjust it up "for you" as you sew!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
    A couple of years a go I bumped in to a blog page on a little green sewing machine, I think was called Sewhandy. Until then I always though the Featherweight was one of a kind, but Standard Sewing Company and General Electrics made comparable machine. It looks so nice, and I don't understand why it didn't become as popular and enduring as the black Singer model. According to the page Singer ended up buyting the company who had lisence to the machine. Here is a link to a virtual museum page on it. Has anyone seen it in real life? If it's cast iron it would be on the heavy side, but if it's aluminium it probably a light weight.
    A friend of mine just sold both his GE and Standard machines last weekend. The cuteness factor is the big draw for these machines, not the stitch quality. The FW has both.

Cari

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7