Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
YUCK!  What can I use on this mess? >

YUCK! What can I use on this mess?

YUCK! What can I use on this mess?

Old 09-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

I have seen much worse. Usually my 7 year old DGD cleans them out with an eyelash brush. You can get packages of them from a beauty supply place - they get into the tiny little places you need to get the fuzz out. She loves to do it so I let her. My almost 4 year old DGS loves to oil. Actually he loves to baptize things. He has learned that Tri-Flow works better than SM oil. Anyway I help him use the oil very sparingly on each point that moves. The oil build up it may come off with rubbing alcohol but you don't need to worry about that - once it is oiled and moving the stuff on the surface won't affect the machine. Rubbing alcohol will take off some finish -be careful. Muv has a wonderful tutorial on the sticky. Use her methods on that machine. It isn't nearly as bad as you think. I wish they all came across my bench in that kind of shape. You are right - when you see a machine that is looking pretty pristine - it hasn't been used much and probably for a reason. Take your time and you will have a very nice machine. Some of the more extreme methods of cleaning up are not for that machine. Maybe for some old beater or one that is a real mess.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:13 PM

All I can add is that is one gorgous machine. Lucky you to have snagged it!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:23 PM

I just got a new old machine last week and it was far worst then your pictures show. The grease (sure it wasn't sewing machine grease used there as it was brown, not old looking at all) was solid like a rock in the parts and I couldn't move them by turning the wheel. I first put machine oil to soften it, let it set overnight as I couldn't even remove the parts they were stuck. On that parts I used a q-tip with sewing machine oil on them and tooth pick (plastic one) to soften and break out as much as I could. The old oil on the other parts were layed and dark thick hard brown. After about 24 hours I sprayed the part both removed and those still attached to the sewing machine with PB Blaster. Let them sit for about 15 to 30 minutes then used the q-tips and the plastic tooth picks to remove the dried up oil and grease. Put sewing machine oil on the parts again and wrapped them off to make sure I removed all the PB Blaster from them...then once I was sure it was no longer on any parts I reoiled and greased the moving parts. Ran the machine on high for maybe 5 minutes, replaced all the parts like needle cover, bobbin parts and put a new needle, threaded it up and it sews nice without making noise, very smooth. Now this took me about 1 1/2 hours to clean the parts from removing parts after sitting overnight in the oil, placing the PB Blaster, cleaning the parts and putting the sewing machine back together.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Allow me....

1. Use sewing machine oil.

That is it. Now, to apply the oil you can use any of the following; q-tip(any part), soft cloth (any part), rough cloth (everything but decals), steel wool (or synthetic steel wool also known as green or blue scrubbies)(metal parts ONLY), wire brush (brass is best)(metal parts ONLY)

Apply the oil, give it some time to soften the old oil (what you see there that looks like resin) and then wipe/brush clean

If you REALLY need to have the metal parts shine, after using the oil to clean it you can use Brasso to polish it (Non-abrasive)

just my .02
I didn't see Steve's comment when I posted.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:04 PM

Thanks everyone. It was my first time removing a bobbin assembly. Kinda shocking.
I am over it now.
It is all cleaned and parts buffed with a Dremel wire brush and shiny new again!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:07 PM

I feel better now. From now on if they will let me I will turn those machines inside out before I buy another one. Thanks again everyone for the great answers.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
All I can add is that is one gorgous machine. Lucky you to have snagged it!
Thank you, I have high hopes for it.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Nice looking machine. Like most have stated, sewing machine oil.
Thank you, I sure liked it when I saw it. Nice and clean...well not really. LOL
Old 09-26-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
I feel better now. From now on if they will let me I will turn those machines inside out before I buy another one. Thanks again everyone for the great answers.
But don't you get a great feel of satisfaction for having improved it's condition so much? And if you get a good deal because they're neglected, all the better! I enjoy the process, and would rather find ones that need work...
Old 09-26-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
But don't you get a great feel of satisfaction for having improved it's condition so much? And if you get a good deal because they're neglected, all the better! I enjoy the process, and would rather find ones that need work...

I certainly do, but I have 5 machines I just purchased getting into this vintage machine hobby and most have been clean which has allowed me to spend more time currently stripping one down and prepping it for a new paint job and I prefer to spend any extra time I have away from my other studios on the property on refinishing and repainting the cabinets. I really enjoy that part as an artist.

I am so glad you like the dirty ones that need work. I don't but I can and will do it as I learned today if the right machine comes along.