Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
YUCK!  What can I use on this mess? >

YUCK! What can I use on this mess?

YUCK! What can I use on this mess?

Old 09-27-2013, 05:14 AM

Weeeelllllllll, for gunky parts like that I use:

Sewing machine oil, but that doesn't usually clean the varnished oil very good, so then I go to -
Denatured alcohol as it cuts the old varnished oil and evaporated quickly, but it doesn't always work, so then I get out the big stuff and use Hoppe's #9 gun cleaning solvent. That has not failed to do the job.

I use q-tips, cotton balls, soft cloths and tooth brushes. I do not use steel wool because the steel fibers can get stuck in parts of the machine and jam it up. Also sometimes those steel wool pads just disintegrate and you have a nasty mess.

I am not a restorer so I don't always want them to shine like a new machine. I just want them clean enough to work properly.

Joe
Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I do not use steel wool because the steel fibers can get stuck in parts of the machine and jam it up. Also sometimes those steel wool pads just disintegrate and you have a nasty mess.Joe
I use Steel Wool all the time and I can tell you for certain that Joe is SPOT ON. about this. If you use the old stuff you have to be REALLY careful about the cleanup. There is a reason folks invented new products to replace it.

I frequently suggest this but also forget to provide the caution. THANK you Joe.

I am starting to use the "synthetic" steel wool. (Green, Blue, and Brown scrubbie pads) they do not have the residual issue as badly (a little though) but they also do not work quite as well.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
I feel better now. From now on if they will let me I will turn those machines inside out before I buy another one. Thanks again everyone for the great answers.
For me the fun is getting those sewing machine looking almost new and working the way they were when they were new!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by caroloto View Post
For me the fun is getting those sewing machine looking almost new and working the way they were when they were new!
Agreed. Upon cleaning and adjusting it is music to hear them sing and eye candy to watch them do their job so efficiently and so simply.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I use Steel Wool all the time and I can tell you for certain that Joe is SPOT ON. about this. If you use the old stuff you have to be REALLY careful about the cleanup. There is a reason folks invented new products to replace it.

I frequently suggest this but also forget to provide the caution. THANK you Joe.

I am starting to use the "synthetic" steel wool. (Green, Blue, and Brown scrubbie pads) they do not have the residual issue as badly (a little though) but they also do not work quite as well.
Originally Posted by caroloto View Post
I will try, I promise I will try.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Be careful using this sequence... Kerosene is a great oil breakdown chemical, but for the same reason, if you do not get ALL of it out of the little nooks and crannies and between moving parts, you will be breaking down your new oil soon...

I only use the harsh oil cutter methods with parts that I am removing, so that I can be sure to clean it all.
Tri-flow is 30% kerosene. Here's the MSDS:
http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/web...pe=MSDS&lang=E
I looked up CAS# 64742-47-8 (Heavy Aliphatic Solvent), and it is kerosene. I think that's why it works so well to free things up.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
Tri-flow is 30% kerosene. Here's the MSDS:
http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/web...pe=MSDS&lang=E
I looked up CAS# 64742-47-8 (Heavy Aliphatic Solvent), and it is kerosene. I think that's why it works so well to free things up.
Wow Thanks for that MSDS info. Being a retired nail tech I just went in and grabbed my pure acetone. My machine cleaned up in seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 09-28-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:41 AM

Sunflowerzz, I have no idea how to clean it, but your little bug had me swatting at my computer screen! lol
Old 09-28-2013, 07:44 AM

I have just spent 5minutes trying to kill the fly
Old 09-28-2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by nstitches4u View Post
Sunflowerzz, I have no idea how to clean it, but your little bug had me swatting at my computer screen! lol
I know Huh. It moves and looks just like a real teensy fruit fly.

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I have just spent 5minutes trying to kill the fly
Sowwry. I should probably change my avatar before someone messes up their monitor... Maybe the pic below? I hate how I photograph but it is me after all.
Attached Thumbnails img_3641.jpg  

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 09-28-2013 at 07:59 AM.