Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion >

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Old 08-02-2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by katybob View Post
Here are weeks 28 and 29. I've gotten a lot more done the last couple of weeks because it's been incredibly hot here so I haven't spent much time outside.
Hi, Katybob! All block look so beautiful! I love it! A big hug!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 AM

Hello to all!
Following the history of my last post, I was 7 days (evenings only) working on my "new" tablecloth. After taking 4 old tablecloths, remove usable parts, you can rebuild a new one. Show them some pictures, I hope you like it!
That prevented that I devote to any other project, including DJ.
Just this week was able to finish the two triangles of the 12 week (yes I am... last on the line, but I am not concerned... I'm having fun like!).
So I show them the photos and thank you for looking at.
From now on I'll be completing rows in order to better maintain the color scale.
I hope that all have a great day!
A strong hug to all!
Attached Thumbnails bits-pieces-i-could-rescue-old-tablecloths.jpg   new-tablecloth-central-image.jpg   new-tablecloth-side-image.jpg   ready-new-uses-.jpg   rs-1.jpg  

br-4.jpg   semana-12.jpg   semanas-1-12.jpg  
Old 08-02-2012, 11:15 AM

Great job on the tablecloth!
I love your fabrics and colors on your DJ. You are not last - I am only at week 3.
Keep up the great work.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanine View Post
Great job on the tablecloth!
I love your fabrics and colors on your DJ. You are not last - I am only at week 3.
Keep up the great work.
Hello, Jeanine!
Thank you very much!
Don't worry... you will reach me and will very soon!
I took too many projects at the same time and not dedicate all my time to the DJ.
Also now I am finishing some previous things and sewing things for my house.
A hug!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:24 PM

Gladys - I always love reading your posts!! love the tablecloth too

Sorry ladies for my tardiness - my computer has been hit and miss lately and besides that my daughter's nonprofit application hit a snag with the IRS - some papers were filed incorrectly and I accidentally had sent a draft copy of her articles of incorporation in along with the state endorsed copy .... threw everyone off as it made it seem she was trying to get a nonprofit status for herself as a business She was in the hospital when I threw the application together without paying attention. I was being more "mom" than attorney I'm afraid... At any rate - fixing the fiasco I created has taken priority and I hope to get back and catch up during this catch up week. I am 8 blocks behind oh dear!!!

I havent been able to get online at all for several days so went back to read some posts and pay closer attention to a few I already had seen...

Chay - had a thought on your QAYG. Lay out a row of blocks and measure it - say you have 13 blocks exactly 5.5" unfinished size, this would make the 'string' of finished blocks 65" without sashing. Do the same with your triangles - measure the widest, bottom edges. If they are 5.5" unfinished as well, you need to make sure that whatever size sashing you decide to put in between the blocks in the main body of your quilt needs to be the same as the triangle sections of print or background fabric that goes in between the DJ pieced or appliqued triangles. It may mean that you either have to make those triangles have flat tips - or - put narrow sashing in between them and the DJ tris. If you tell me what the measurements are, I will help you figure it out. Let me know if this makes sense!

Gus
Old 08-06-2012, 04:14 AM

I am enjoying peeking in at your progress. You are all doing such fabulous jobs! I am very interested in doing this quilt. I just have not been able to commit the time. Perhaps the next group that starts....
Old 08-06-2012, 09:13 AM

Hello, Gus! Thank you very much for your kinds words!
I hope that their problems will be soon resolved, I have no very clear with the translator, but I hope everything is okay very soon!
Thanks for explaining about the sum of the blocks and the issue of the shashing. I also think a QAYG. And my blocks are super fair, for what you have in mind at the time tackle this issue!
I hope that all the others are very well... There is some attrition in this thread!
All have a brilliant week!
A strong hug!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:20 AM

Gus, thanks for taking the time to send on your thoughts about QAYG. I understand what you mean. I'll lay out my quilt and look at the numbers.

I did some QAYG practice on some of my out-take blocks. My FMQ skills are pretty lame. I need to practice a lot before I tackle my real blocks. For now, what I've decided to do is put sections of blocks together and quilt them and then attach them to each other using QAYG. But as I say, I need to practice my FMQ a lot before I get going. So now I have blocks laying in piles and will begin sashing them and putting them together in sections.

What I really want to do is put the whole top together and send it to a long-armer but to be perfectly honest there aren't any where I live who I think have the skills to do justice to this quilt - that sounds so snotty but it's true. I spent so much time and money on this quilt that I would be sick if the quilting was bad. So I've put on the brakes and will take my time practicing my FMQ and hope that I can tackle the job myself.

Thanks again. I will keep watching this thread to see how everyone proceeds as they finish up their blocks. I love looking at everyone's work, all those blocks seem like old friends now and it is awesome to see color choices and how skilled everyone is.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 PM

Got online again....AWESOME!! well, it is 104 degrees outside in Agoura Hills...unheard of - but then I should not complain! thank God for So Cal weather most of the year [can he send more rain once in a while???]

Totally forgot to comment on Katybob's wonderful blocks....beautiful!!!! one other DJ'er up to speed

A note about FMQ [assuming this is free-motion quilting??] I have been struggling myself. A few lessons learned is practice practice practice - even a little bit each time you sit down again. I don't know how many of you belong to a local quilt guild, but here is an idea I try to make use of... volunteer to FMQ a quilt for a charitable organization. There are sooooo many philanthropies - charitable organizations in need of comfort quilts. Our local project linus came to pick up 150 quilts at the end of an adult school 'sewing year' - their rep said they sometimes get 400 requests in a month. Quilts of Valor and similar organizations distribute quilts to our soldiers and their families, Downey quilts gives quilts to children in hospitals... Ami Sims' organization - for Alzheimers collects small quilts the size of a priority mail envelope to raise money for Alzheimers research. My guild collects scraps and donated fabric which we assemble into quilts and practicing your FMQ on them makes you a better quilter and helps those in need of some additional warmth and a smile
Gus

Last edited by Cre8tvlwyr; 08-07-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:40 PM

A few catch up blocks from way back...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]354617[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]354618[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]354619[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]354620[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]354621[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]354622[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]354623[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]354624[/ATTACH]

c-9 c-6 d-3 and c-2

Not sure what's up with the airplanes - I must have been in a weird mood...
Attached Thumbnails c-9-b.jpg   c-6-b.jpg   d-3-b.jpg   c-2-b.jpg   c-9-g.jpg  

c-6-g.jpg   d-3-g.jpg   c-2-g.jpg