Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 04-15-2014, 09:23 AM

ok I am back. I am sorry there is so much discussion over something so silly. Some fabrics shrink more than others. Period. There ended that trouble didn't I? NO? well I tried. I have a bit of shrinkage though its not usually 3 percent unless I use walmart fabric then omg it can be as much as 5 percent. I also prefer to dry clean my quilts. I put a lot of time and energy into making them and just tossing them in the machine is not ok with me. Thus limited or no shrinkage at all. With a childs quilt I figure let it shrink. It gets all nice and a little bit scrunchied up and that is ok with me. Its ok with the little kids too. Especially since two years later they want something NEW. sigh.. with something so beautiful such as a full king sized quilt why not spend a bit more and do it right? or accept that sometimes some things shrink and its ok. TADA! no? sigh I tried.

I love the quilt with the red/gold/green border. Its a little less bright than the cream added. I would not add lots of light cream no way no how but that is just my opinion. See how right they were? we all love something different. I stills say just add your border as best you see fit. If you THINK it needs a border then add a border. If someone else says do it.. take it with a grain of salt. They wont be looking at it for eternity you will. And truthfully we all love something completely different. What works for one person being all modern and jiffy might just horrify someone who loves traditional and formal. Do you love the same things? do you love everthing the same? probably not. Hence why Jan and I offer TWO different borders and say if you don't like them do one you do love! its OK! think that eternity border is really quiet lovely if you have a quilt that can take it and you don't mind slow and steady wins the race. if you do then perhaps you want another border. I love it! just not enough to start all over for the same quilt on. So plan B is in place. In theory. Havent started it yet YIKES. but I do have 20 beautiful blocks lol to show you and promise to have a head start on the next one to show you also. Hey its a three block month around here! yippee! (sorta).
Old 04-16-2014, 07:21 AM

Brat, Boy, I sure can't wait to see that border even if I know I'm not going to tackle it. Maybe I'll save it for my next medallion and use it for the first border where I don't need many.

This round I'm using Jaba's chain. It is easy and fun and going together well. Of course, I'm trying to make it difficult by squeezing it into a smaller length by making bigger seams, which were too big. Rip. Recalculate. Resew. The new 3-Rs.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:45 AM

Hi all, I'm now looking for a couple of opinions on the fabric hanging on the right side of my quilt. In the beginning I liked it for my final border, but now not so much. The colors are all there, but maybe it's too busy???? What say some of you???
Attached Thumbnails medallion-rnd-4-closer-view.jpg   medallion-rnd-4-preview-w-rnd-5-preview.jpg  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:16 PM

Mamahen: I think it does a marvelous job of pulling the center out and highlighting everyone of the colors. The only thing I might try is a border of the pale or navy blue before the border fabric to make a break for the eye and prevent the last border from blending to much with the last one.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Mamahen: I think it does a marvelous job of pulling the center out and highlighting everyone of the colors. The only thing I might try is a border of the pale or navy blue before the border fabric to make a break for the eye and prevent the last border from blending to much with the last one.
Thanks Emma for your input, I was kind of thinking the same thing. It needs something to break it up, your right. I hadn't given it a thought of the pale blue, was thinking the white, but the blue may be better. I'll put the blue up and then give it another look see. Thanks Again.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:05 AM

oh I love the blue in the quilt just a tiny pop so perhaps another tiny pop of it is a great idea! not wide but thin even an inch when finished will stop the quilt then go to the final border. What a grand idea. And blue is way better an idea than white but that is just me. White/ivory is just so.. BRIGHT it will pull the eye to the edge not keep it inside the edge.. make sense. Surely you will come up with a game plan and share it with us. You did it! a quilt of borders! big round of applause ladies and gents! tada!!!! Give the lady a hand!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:51 AM

Applause, applause, just smashing!!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:20 AM

Hello Pumpkins! I wanted to wish everyone a happy Easter!!! Its going to be stunning here today in Wyoming. A lovely 70 or so and sun shinning! wowsa!!! Who needs eggs? I absolutely love weather like this. Sunny! gorgeous! and warm but not hot. AND NOT SNOWING! yippee!!! I love it really I do. I plan to spend my day.. SEWING. I have to work on next months blocks and really am thinking of going to the simple round but then again might just try something else. how about a round of 2.5 inch squares then a round of 4.5 inch rectangles then a round of squares again? its a thought. oh yeah the 4.5 inchers would be 2.5 inches wide just longer.. hum... could be kind of cute on my quilt. its so simple its not funny but I did do 20 blocks that are really cool just don't work with the darned quilt. Cant wait to find a good home for them. I know! I should start ANOTHER quilt with those.. oh I love ufo's. I must
Old 04-20-2014, 04:15 PM

Happy Easter Elisabrat! Sorry I haven't managed to work on my next round yet, but have been working on my Ostrich RR with the guild.... not finished the next round yet but keep looking forward to seeing what everyone here is doing with their tops!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:46 PM

MamaHen that's a beautiful quilt. Whatever you decide will be perfect, you haven't gone wrong on it yet.

I wish I could say the same for mine. I like the pinwheels as a second border but I hate my color choices. The multi-colored pinwheels just aren't working for me. I think that's why I've been bogged down on this project. I'm ripping the second border off and starting over at that point. I think I'll stay with the pinks and purples for the rest of my border work and I still have two more Sues to make for it as well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]472458[/ATTACH]
I'm just going to go with knowing what you don't like is progress too.
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails kendalls-quilt-progress.jpg