Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 04-11-2014, 06:59 PM

Okay I'll add my 2 cents to this. I'd like you to try a small 1" white and a 2" green plain strip around first. Just place it around 1 side and then your ribbon. I think you may need another resting spot in there before you add another "busy round" but I also think your red is the wrong color red. That being said maybe your green instead? Would have to really see it but if it were mine I think that is what I would try and see "If" I liked it.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:34 AM

Because we all have such different ideas & color ideas, that is why our tops all turn out so different, which is what we want. They would be boring if each one was identical. I think everyone has grand ideas of how to help others, we all see them in a different light, what ever one might choose to do, it is the right decision for them.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:04 AM

My only thought is that I don't care for the gold or green corner block. I think whatever round goes on next should be uninterrupted because it is the first round after the 'extensions'. Hope that made sense.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:05 AM

I am trying to plan ahead a little on fabric and am wondering about how many rounds we have yet to go. The beginning post said we will have a center and six rounds. We're on round four, right? Two more to go?? Just something that you said, Elizabrat, made me wonder if we were stopping sooner.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:34 AM

I think there are 2more rounds to be offered, making it a total of 6 rounds, but one can add more or even do less if they so desire. I think I'm going to do this 4th round and put my final border on. As usual I have changed my mind on my border design for about the 4th time, & think I have FINALLY decided on what I'm going to do. BUT, now I think I'm going to look for some border type fabric to incorporate into this 4th border, so again I'm making mine a little more complicated for my self, but hey, I get to buy some new fabric.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:11 PM

I have listened to all suggestions and here are the results, many to be sure. What do you think about these:[ATTACH=CONFIG]471375[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]471376[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]471377[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]471378[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]471379[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]471380[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]471381[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]471382[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]471383[/ATTACH]I fixed two pieces of "ribbon" one with red and one with green. I actually kind of like them alternated. Jaba, I think you are right I need another stopper border after the ribbon. My vision is this: When I add the three inch borders and they aren't all exactly right, the inner one will be one inch and the next one a two inch and then the ribbon and it will lay just inside the margin of the bed top just like a ribbon going all the way around it and then the rest will be the drop so they won't be just side by side visually when on the bed. I am thinking MH that a border of blocks, which I didn't audition would be my next consideration. I see what you mean by a lot of triangles and pointy things. I am torn between liking the gold and green like in the last combination and the first cream with the colored stars and a green not like the one in the block. Or should I switch out the square in a square and do something else and use that on another quilt. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails 100_3986-small-.jpg   100_3987-small-.jpg   100_3988-small-.jpg   100_3989-small-.jpg   100_3994-small-.jpg  

100_3995-small-.jpg   100_3998-small-.jpg   100_4000-small-.jpg   100_4001-small-.jpg  
Old 04-12-2014, 04:25 PM

Quilter65...I think that any of those would be just great. I like the idea of the red & green blocks alternating in your ribbon border. You can add or not add the additional strip between the ribbon & SNSNS row, it all depends now on how much bigger you want to make your top & if it fits the bed the way you want. It is going to be beautiful!!!!

One thing to remember when your measuring your quilt top on the top of the bed, you need to allow extra for shrinkage, if you haven't pre washed the fabric. I auditioned a quilt top on my king size bed, thinking that the borders I had on it were perfect, well....not the case, it shrunk up about 3" all the way around so they don't line up on the edges of the bed anymore. Lesson learned.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:33 PM

I like the gold between the red and green strips. I kind of like the alternating colors on the ribbon but using either of the colors alone would look nice too.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:42 AM

I'm agreeing with what Pam said.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:49 AM

I really like the 1st one still with your alternating colors. And if you wanted, on the last pic you showed a square in a sq. you could do that for another round after your ribbon. It looks great whatever you decide. I'm sure you will love it. Not sure if you have to worry about that much shrinkage, looks like you bought pretty expensive fabric for this quilt. I know some fabrics just shrink more that others but I have found that usually more shrinking is in cheaper fabrics, just my experience. I've never had a quilt shrink that much Mamahen, I can understand, you must have been just sick.
Snowing like crazy here, started last night about 7 and don't think its quit. Have a customers quilt to get on the table today so don't have to go out in the cold. I pray we will have a summer soon.