Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 04-11-2014, 08:09 AM

Mom2pekes2, Elizabrat and Jaba started the medallion quilts in January and we are now on our fourth round. This is the only thread, just go back to the beginning for the first instructions.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:57 PM

Mompekes2, I recently joined this thread....started very late, but I am going to catch up! LOL. And, by starting late, I find that I am benefiting by being able to see all of the wonderful borders everyone is using....so grab a medallion block, and join the fun!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:40 PM

Okay, ladies, here is the next border. I decided that a square in a square lacked "punch" with the fabrics I had tried, so went with square in a square in a square. Probably should have stuck to original plan, but too late now. I had thought about a different corner block like the one in the HST border, but now think it would more clearly illuminate the cheater strip I had to add to make it the right size to take 6 inch block. Then I have a picture of the ribbon border that I want to use next and I realize the red is wrong and I have a couple of others to substitute. Let me know what you think. Should I proceed with the ribbon after adding the sq in sq in sq or other thoughts??? I am getting excited to put the final border on this and call it finished. I will need something else after the ribbon because that will not be quite as big as I want it to be. So for your critiquing (gently, I am sure):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]471227[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]471228[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]471229[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]471230[/ATTACH] I will use the red that surrounds the green hourglass block (with a twist) for the ribbon. The one I have is too red or something. Also have a green shimmer that might work there as well that matches the inside of the hourglass border. Also have other greens and creams that could be used. Thoughts? Seeing that little strip of white between the border and the last row got me to thinking. I pulled them apart and added some more white in there (would have to figure how to make it come out), but do you think it needs that as well or am I making it too hard?
Attached Thumbnails 100_3981-small-.jpg   100_3982-small-.jpg   100_3984-small-.jpg   100_3985-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Quilter 65; 04-11-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Well, here are my thoughts. I like your borders, except I think if it was me, I might like an entirely different border to go between the square border, You just finished, and the green square triangles border. My eyes keep bouncing back & forth between your green border & red border with no place to rest in between. My eyes try to go to the center but keep bouncing back to the two outside borders. There is my opinion, sorry but it does sound like more work doesn't it. Whatever you do it will be beautiful.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:44 PM

I like the gold as your corner/filler pieces. I think a narrow cream border after the sq in sq in sq border would look good. Do you have the cream you used after the HST round? Or something similar? An then I think some green in the ribbon round would be good since you have a red round before that....just my thoughts. I think your quilt is turning out great!! Keep it up.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:42 PM

MamaHen, do you mean like a green rather than the red shaded 1 1/2" sashing? I am interested in your opinion but know also that I just had cataract surgery x 2 and ripping out something probably won't work until I can get new glasses. I mean like I can see to sew, but to try and rip is about impossible I have discovered. Just can't get it in the right place to keep from cutting material, etc. I will audition the green square as I had thought about that and maybe getting too much red. I do have some of the cream with the stars left, but not sure how much. So if I am understanding correctly, put the cream sashing before the ribbon border? Or do you think another fabric would look better in ribbon block? So many decisions and I know not to sew together because when I think it is right, then I will "feel" it and I am not feeling it yet! Thanks, ladies, for your opinions.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:20 PM

I just walked past the thing laying on the living room floor. How about another border between what I have already finished and use the sq in a sq in a sq for the final outside border? I will go back and look through selections and see if there is another 6 inch block that would work and do a different color?? I promise no more questions tonight.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:32 PM

Quilter 65, didn't know about your eye surgery, I hope you'll be able to see much better real soon.
For me the problem is that the colors all mesh together and there isn't any break. I'm probably the last one to give advice or help too because I'm a bold person with colors & ideas. I like to mesh things, add bold colors, that others would never think about doing. I think that even a different color break between those two borders would set them off. Maybe even another pieced border small like 2 1/2 or 3" border in lighter values of red & green would be nice. I really like what you are doing, all these medallion quilts we all are doing are just wonderful, so many different designs & ideas, some work really great, others are okay, but we all have our own ideas of what we would do to each & every one of them, that is what makes us all so different and our quilts one of a kind.

You will know what you do is right, because as you said if it feels right, it's right. It may take me a few weeks to plan, stare, change my mind, until something hits me that says "Hey I like this" before I take that jump & add to my medallion quilt. This is how we all learn, learn colors, ideas & what works for us & what doesn't. So don't jump until you think you like it, & of course feel free anytime to post pictures & ask for suggestions. I'm sure there are many others with different ideas than mine, YOU ALL OUT THERE, do you have any ideas for Quilter 65.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter 65 View Post
I just walked past the thing laying on the living room floor. How about another border between what I have already finished and use the sq in a sq in a sq for the final outside border? I will go back and look through selections and see if there is another 6 inch block that would work and do a different color?? I promise no more questions tonight.
I see you posted while I was rambling on, I don't think you need another 6" border, a 3" would be just the ticket, IMO, a lighter border of your colors, be bold, that would give the eye a place to rest. Experiment with colors, you have a lot of triangles going on there, maybe an easy border of just 2 1/2" or 3" squares pieced together with some bold colors. that is just a thought. AND ASK ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU WANT!!!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:43 PM

Ok here it goes all of you can laugh. I think that its seen as a whole quilt not as the center focal point. That said I think the round that is going on is just fine. I like moving your eye from place to place. that said I hate when your attempting one thing and end up.. lost. I did 20 blocks 20 mind you of the eternity border on quilters cache. I love the border. I hate it on my quilt. I will post the beautiful unworking round and also the silly 9 patch I am going to end my quilt in .. its perfect for the quilt and its perfect for me I think its nicer than a single strip round. I will post come the first of the month and watch and see if you don't agree with me!