Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 05-30-2016, 04:28 AM

Beautiful fabric, Anne. Almost makes me think about a Gypsy Lady Quilt next on line here. Or the Mountain quilt. Two lovely choices. Lots of orange there to make beautiful sunshine in the quilt.

What is on your menu for today's meal's? Wednesday and Thursday I will get a break in fixing meals, hurrah! I love to cook but my mind is not deciding any good fun meals... drawing blanks there. Even forgot DGS birthday on the 29th of May. DS was in a big flood in Houston...lucky he lives on a higher elevation and was not flooded where he lives, but all roads were to go where they wanted to go. After a week of lower back pain, its easing up a bit today.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:29 AM

Hi Everyone, There was a one day coupon, 60% off artists/premium fabric on this past Saturday...There are 3 JoAnn's in my area, 33 miles away , then 17 and 14 miles away ..So I had my choice of where to go..I opted for the one where the traveling was east & west..North & south would have been a nightmare with the "Bennies" traveling to the shore/beaches..That's the "nickname" we give to the people that don't live in the area of the "Shore" Anyway, I prefer to buy 1/4 yards not fat 1/4's because I will cut the remainder into strips small squares or hold onto the piece for future use...Although fat 1/4's would be very good for the MM blocks. 8.5" would give you 4 of them with little waste..
The Gypsy Wife has a lot of 1.5" strips of different lengths and after cutting the 17" f or the MM block I have 20+ inches of fabric for a couple of strips...Fabrics that I would like in both quilts I would get 1/3 yd, cut my 1.5"strip then the 17" for the MM block. The 3 blocks I posted will be a small lap the floral one I have just started will have the same fabric background.. the small one will have different natural backgrounds..Pieces I have on hand..have to use them up..

I check JoAnn emails every day..being I work sometimes at the Viking Gallery I'll call the girls up and they will be my personal shopper and get what I need for me.. I forward my coupons to them..and they send me a photo of what I want to make sure it's the right stuff... They have fun shopping for me...We do have to mingle with the customers and let them know about the Gallery...

Have a good day all...If I was 12 yrs old right now, I'd be marching in the Memorial Day Parade as a Girl Scout!
Old 05-30-2016, 06:33 AM

I agree about the men's shirts. I looked in on this thread originally because it was 'PC' and I had just bought the book, I think I posted about 3 PC blocks here at first. I'm planning to use all shirts, mostly plaids, with it. Doing PC was too much with my other sewing as well, and I decided to concentrate on FWS first and get those blocks done. But I'll get back to PC one of these days. I have a cute cowboy print sheet for the back of it. I won't make all the blocks the first time around, as I want a twin size quilt, probably set on point. But I love the LH patterns, and I'm bound to come back to them in both books over the years.

Anne, your choice of fabrics is just up my alley. I couldn't resist that pink background/gray leaf print and bought some of it too. I've just completed a top with bright colors, a lot of oranges and pinks, and last week I've mailed it to a friend to quilt for me. You will love a top with your picks-- it's amazingly cheerful to use lots of bright colors! I loved mine so much that I splurged on the back for it, paying full price per yard. Whew! I don't know what made me do that, because it's not like me to shy the sale rack. Maybe I wanted to follow through with my creative ideas... But, anyway, I thought it was worth it to be satisfied with the back as well. https://www.fabric.com/buy/0422984/t...d-29889bf8fb7b

Best wishes to all for a good Memorial Day!

Last edited by givio; 05-30-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:21 AM

Honchey, very pretty fabrics. Your quilt will be awesome.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:02 AM

Givio - that is a wonderful backing for your quilt. I prefer flannel on my backs, so often look for sheets on sale. I've had good luck with them! Watching out for the quilt police on that choice! LOL
Old 05-30-2016, 11:58 AM

JeanieG, I second the choice of a sheet for a back. I like to get them at Goodwill or Volunteers of America. A back for less than $5 is my usual preference! I often use flannel for the back of baby blankets, but haven't done it on a big quilt yet.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:34 PM

Givio - I have found that the quilt will not be so apt to slip off the bed with a flannel back!
Old 05-30-2016, 06:27 PM

Jeanie, Your remark brought to my mind a memory of teaching 5-year-olds. I made a flannel story board and it worked well to keep the figures and pictures from not slipping down. They were made of paper with a flocked back. I also made some felt figures, and sewed some cotton ones with flannel backs. I can see where flannel would help with quilt slippage problems.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:26 PM

givio - when my boys were in a parent co-op pre school we used felt figures on a flannel board. Brings back some fun memories!!!
Old 05-30-2016, 08:38 PM
Power Poster

I remember using those teaching Sunday School classes to young kids! I told a lot of Bible stories with those. The kids remembered the stories better when they got to help move the pieces around on the board. I wonder if they still make those.