Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along  Update Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Update Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Update Page

Old 01-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

Thanks everyone ... I really appreciate all the kind words about my blocks!
Now the next step ... the long and boring process of sashing, etc. Not the same oohs and aaahs that you get in making each block. First though, I need that fabric to arrive at my LQS!

NickyLSF ... totally accidental that the maple leaf got in the centre. All the blocks are placed in numerical order from the book! They'll all move around when I start doing the sashing. Though I have been starting to look at it as to how they placement could be switched to break up some of the blocks that are the same fabrics, and are currently side by side.

JeanieG ... yes there's some relief. Celebration for sure, but somewhat getting tired of doing them ... and making the fabric decisions. I'm using a little different strategy for the PC fabrics. Not that it will be any easier!

Granny59 ... It's "sew nice" to see you drop by on this thread! Mine are so large, in comparison to your DJs! PPing was a blessing for the accuracy of the blocks.

OKSGlad ... and some of that balance came from comments/suggestions when I did an earlier group shot. I remember you suggesting I work on getting more oranges and purples into the mix. Plus I got better at the contrast decisions ... better, but still had some that I went, OMG what was I thinking! I had planned to use the stark white of the maple leaf for the 4-H block ... then didn't have enough fabric. So it's a little off white.

JanRN ... fast, because I didn't get much other sewing done in the meantime! A little bit at Christmas, but not much else. I'm looking forward to PC, and sticking with the posse. And in between get some other UFOs, PhDs and of course some more newbie projects started!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:34 PM

QuiltE,
This is the first time that I have seen all your blocks, all together. They are super spectacular. You did GOOD, rather excellent. Your quilt is going to be awesome. Love it.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Blue Bell View Post
QuiltE,
This is the first time that I have seen all your blocks, all together. They are super spectacular. You did GOOD, rather excellent. Your quilt is going to be awesome. Love it.
Thanks BlueBell ... and yes, this is the first that I have posted them all together. I did do the groupings at 25, 50 +75 with all I had done at those times as well. I'm looking forward to seeing them put together.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 AM

Gorgeous blocks QuiltE ! You will have a stunning quilt.
The maple leaf makes it Canadian, Perfect!
This quilt is on my to do list. Maybe one day!
Old 02-23-2012, 11:12 AM

QuiltE - Thanks for this link from the PC. I had to gallop on over & see! Your quilt is going to be lovely!!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

ArteEC ... the maple leaf was a block in the quilt. I decided that I should do it in our "flag colours" rather than the many other possibilities. The PC blocks seem so huge after doing these 6" ones!

DublB .. Glad you galloped in!

Both
... thanks so much for the kind comments. I'm going to need lots of moral support as I go thru the sashing process. I'm fearing I might get bored!

The blocks as you saw them, were in the book's order. I know they need to be moved around a lot ... when I get to that point, I'll be looking for some input to help me get them into the best positions!

So stay tuned, Everyone!!!!!!!!!
(a lot of sewing before I get to that point though!)

P.S. ... tomorrow I'll try to remember to post a photo of the fabrics for the cornerstones and setting triangles ... as well as the sashing/borders/binding.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

This is getting too exciting! I'm in the midst of putting sashing on 2 sides of the blocks and OMG are things changing and popping as I add each strip and then put them on the design wall. YES! I'm a tad excited!!!!!!!

Some of you were asking about the cornerstone/setting triangle fabric (left) and the sashing/borders/binding (right) .......
[ATTACH=CONFIG]315668[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fws-002.jpg  
Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Breath-taking!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
Breath-taking!
Neither are all that real on the colours ... The gold is more subtle, and has blending from cream thru to brownish shades and with just a touch of metallic in the outlines. The green is a little more subtle on the colour changes. It's Michael Miller Krystal and I can see me using other colours of it for blenders in other projects ... perhaps PC?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:17 PM

Ooh, ooh very pretty QE!! Love both those colors. I really like Michael Miller Krystal fabrics, too-perfect blenders. Now, get off the board and back to sashing LOL!!!