Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The FW PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 8 Clover Blossom & Colt's Corral Discussion Page

The FW PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 8 Clover Blossom & Colt's Corral Discussion Page

Week 8 is here and 16 blocks is the magic number ....Funny, There's no magic here 'cus I don't have that many done. Who here does?
    I know better but I just can't help myself..Remember I offered some of the Santa Cowboy fabric to anyone here as long as I had some??? Heres the block I did with it... didn't do much of anything else...this excited me enough to get it done. Here ye be:

Also a new letter for you to read.

Letters of the Week #5--Leota R. Bray; Lawrence County, South Dakota
    Leota's family was one that moved around a great deal. Her father Andrew wasborn in Michigan in about 1880. Leota, who also had the name of "Easter," wasborn in 1906 or 1907 in California. When she won "Cute" she was living in SouthDakota, but she mentions in her letter that she and her family were planning tomove to Arizona. It is unknown if they ever went there, since there are norecords of the Andrew Bray family in the 1920 census. I wonder where they were?? In 1930, Leota is listed along with her parents, Andrew and Belle and perhaps abrother, Jackwin, age 9, living in the Oakland area of California. The 1940 census, due to be released in 2012, will hopefully give us moreinformation about Leota. I think that it is likely that she married since I canfind no death records for her with the last name of Bray.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    What great little block from Cowboy Santa!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Oh how cute Anne! That fabric was perfect with Santa in the center.

too cute for words
    Karen

Now that Cowboy Santa is adorable and with great contrast fabrics with it ... a perfect block to showcase it in.
    I have my blocks done ... but need to photo. So tomorroooooooow!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Honchey, I opened this page & saw your darling Santa & it made me smile, then I got very confused & thought I had mixed up the weeks! Silly me. I'm so glad that you are ahead & showed us this darling Santa. If someone else doesn't take the rest of that fabric maybe you can put it in another block. He's too cute.
    I love reading these extra letters with this information about these kids. I may have to make this quilt again in a few years with the pony theme.

I have my Colt's Corral done, & I'm replacing Clover Blossom W/ Flag & Heart that QuiltE posted earlier. It feels good to be quilting again even if I'm not up to anything else.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Thanks again for leading this posse. Love that block-the Santa is really cute. This is one of the few blocks that allow for a larger FC image. C'mon gals, pony on over the picture page and give us some more eye candy. Wednesday morning is my favorite morning!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Honchey and Dubib...glad your feeling some better. Let's hope you can see the last of the nasties that visited you last week!

That is darling and the way you fussy cut the "Merry Christmas" is perfect......Gosh! Even the horse is smiling...

Ok you all I've got a hint. DSon started feeling bad on Mon. I had him go to the store that afternoon & get Zicam (a zinc based product to take if you have a cold.) He is not near as sick as DH & I. So for the rest of you all if you start to get a stuffy nose go & get a zinc based product before you get bad!!!!
    Bev

Not wanting to take away from the PC, but, I just HAVE to tell you .............................

I have fabric ... FWS sashing/borders/binding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    At last, it came into the LQS and I picked it up today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One Happy Lassie here ... and big job ahead of me (ugh!)

QuiltE, you will have another packet heading your way by the firs of the month. Rec'd yours today. Will post a hint when I post my pictures for the week. Glad the news from the group is good, that all is recovering. Had to go to town and pick up our monthly prescriptions and found chicken on sale, so now I have to take my tired body into the kitchen and cut them up for the freezer. Fried chicken & gravy is a favorite here; or chicken and creamy noodles.

I have 18 PC done and 6 more planned; doing a BOM Civil War Journals and two scrappy quilts plus trying to get back to some other projects as well. Baby chicks are in at the farm store, so will pick up ours on the first of the month, the next time I go to town. Our retirement $$ did not increase with the gasoline increase, so town trips will become more limited than now. Its wonderful how we can communicate on QB and not have to spend $$ for a good time together. Love all the blocks posted. Lovely block about Christmas Santa, Anne; just prefect!!!

QSueNina, the increase in SS didn't help me either...in fact by the time taxes were taken out, I'm getting $1. Go figure.

Thanks QNSue ... you're just too kind!

I'll be looking forward to finding out what your "hint" is .... love how we can all help and teach each other along the way. As you said, it's nice to be able to be in touch without any costs ... though it's still not as nice as IRL for all of us! You're really booting it along, with 18 PC done amidst everything else. When you say, go to town ... how far is the trip for you?

Sometimes I almost feel as though we are together IRL!!
    Others? what do you think?
    You're all a great bunch .. and I'm so glad to be riding along with you on this journey.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Not wanting to take away from the PC, but, I just HAVE to tell you .............................

I have fabric ... FWS sashing/borders/binding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    At last, it came into the LQS and I picked it up today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One Happy Lassie here ... and big job ahead of me (ugh!)
    OH!! We want to see! I bet it's lovely fabric!
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Thanks QNSue ... you're just too kind!

I'll be looking forward to finding out what your "hint" is .... love how we can all help and teach each other along the way. As you said, it's nice to be able to be in touch without any costs ... though it's still not as nice as IRL for all of us! You're really booting it along, with 18 PC done amidst everything else. When you say, go to town ... how far is the trip for you?

Others? what do you think?
    You're all a great bunch .. and I'm so glad to be riding along with you on this journey.
    I definitely have enjoyed this group. I can't tell you how much you all have helped me not go crazy while I've been sick. You've helped me not miss my apprentice since she's been gone. I've also had a great time learning so much. I'm basically a hand quilter & not a piecer. I've learned a lot on the board but not near as much as right here with you all.
    Bev

Blog Entries
    Others?
    what do you think?

You bet, this has been a great adventure we are sharing. We sit around the campfire and share each others daily happenings. I am so envious of everyones progress!! I have been on hold mode for a couple weeks and hope to get back on the pony ride next week. This time of year is so full of farm commitments for me--I know snow on the ground and all that what's there to do this time of year, but it just isn't so.

OH QNinaSue. Baby chicks, they are so cute--those sweet little balls of yellow fluff and their soft cheeping. Too bad it lasts only about a week!! Are these for laying or butchering? Haven't asked DDIL if she's getting chicks this spring, but think she will. She has a nice small flock of layers; keeps me in eggs and sells to a few folks as well. Days are longer so more eggs coming in. In summer I help her butcher a couple times and we get them done quick.

QE--bet you can't wait to get that sashing put together--do share!!!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

When my son was in 2nd grade, his classroom incubated chicks. Such fun, and a variety of chickens they were. We had some land that we were building on, so we got to take them home when they hatched. I kept them in a shower stall in the house (LOL) until my husband could build them a chicken house. We had them until we moved, and gave them to a neighbor. Oh how I loved those fresh eggs! Nothing like that!

QSN, my Sister has chickens & sometimes hatches chicks to sell! She decided that she wanted to have greater diversity with her gene pool, so she ordered some more baby checks last fall. I talk about quilts & she talks about chickens! She sells her eggs for $4.00 a dozen. Her kids pick out the biggest eggs for me. I bet you like having them around!
    Bev

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
    QuiltE, you will have another packet heading your way by the firs of the month. Rec'd yours today. Will post a hint when I post my pictures for the week. Glad the news from the group is good, that all is recovering. Had to go to town and pick up our monthly prescriptions and found chicken on sale, so now I have to take my tired body into the kitchen and cut them up for the freezer. Fried chicken & gravy is a favorite here; or chicken and creamy noodles.

I have 18 PC done and 6 more planned; doing a BOM Civil War Journals and two scrappy quilts plus trying to get back to some other projects as well. Baby chicks are in at the farm store, so will pick up ours on the first of the month, the next time I go to town. Our retirement $$ did not increase with the gasoline increase, so town trips will become more limited than now. Its wonderful how we can communicate on QB and not have to spend $$ for a good time together. Love all the blocks posted. Lovely block about Christmas Santa, Anne; just prefect!!!
    I live 10 miles from the nearest town and have always consolidated trips making a list of where to go and what to do before hand, too. Sometimes just beat by the time I get home and so glad I don't have to go again for a while!!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Thanks for asking everyone ... I'll change the PC discussion a little ... My FWS sashing/border/binding fabric is Michael Miller Krystal, in a green that's very close to what I was showing my blocks on as I photo'd them. It's perhaps a tad brighter, but minimally.

If you're looking for a nice tonal blender there's 189 colours in the line .... I couldn't get over it when I saw the sample card! Seemed so much like a paint card .... several shade of one colour, that just had a very minor difference between them. I think it's going to become a favourite of mine!

Oh yes ... I'm tres anxious to get at the sashing ... hopefully this weekend, I can get a good run on it!

Being that we're talking about "where" we live ... I live on the edge of a small village. Otherwise, I'm about 15 kms from the nearest "real" grocery and other shopping. In the village, we have a small grocery, but I hate it, as the fresh veggies are far from that, and overpriced. At least you know you can get something if you really need it in a pinch. However, there have been times that no, I couldn't .... eg. one time sugar was not on the shelves. Can you imagine that!

Being born and raised in the country, and always driving to the stores, I've always been used to keeping a running list ... and when I was on the farm, and I shopped, I shopped big! Never buy one thing, buy 1/2 dozen. When life changed and I was on my own ... OMG did I ever have to learn "how" to shop differently ... and also how to cook small(er) quantities!!!!

So I still keep an ongoing list, and take it with me .... if I feel like it, I might get several things done beyond the priorities. And if not, well, they wait!

I love your Santa block. It is just ever so cute.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Very interesting getting to know a little more about everyone. We live on about 4 acres of timber near a river...not farmers here, more "hunter/gatherers". We are about 10 minutes one directions to a town with a Walmart and small grocery store. The other direction it takes about 20 minutes for lots more options. I too am a list maker and try to combine my trips.

Since I started working once a week at the quilt shop I leave a couple hours early and get errands done before going in....this is to the bigger city. Right now I have at least 1 trip a week the other direction as well since the kids have archery practice, so can pick up a couple things if needed. This weekend is the State Tournament in Des Moines so they are very excited about that!

QuiltE I can't wait to see your FW quilt all put together!!

carrie

Thanks CarrieM .... did you see my blocks on the design wall? ... you'll also see some very familiar posters in the same thread!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...151010-19.html

Here's all the completed quilts
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-quilt-along-completed-quilt-top-photo-discussion-page-
    t148904.html

And there's LOTS More threads if you're wanting to find them ....
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/f...res-b1689.html

QuiltE...I took a peek at your design wall link. Stunning! You are an artist for sure. Enjoy the rest of the process of putting it together. Will you also quilt it yourself? What kind of sewing machine do you have?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast