Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FW PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 8 Clover Blossom & Colt's Corral Discussion Page >

The FW PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 8 Clover Blossom & Colt's Corral Discussion Page

The FW PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 8 Clover Blossom & Colt's Corral Discussion Page

Old 02-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for asking everyone ... I'll change the PC discussion a little ... My FWS sashing/border/binding fabric is Michael Miller Krystal, in a green that's very close to what I was showing my blocks on as I photo'd them. It's perhaps a tad brighter, but minimally.

If you're looking for a nice tonal blender there's 189 colours in the line .... I couldn't get over it when I saw the sample card! Seemed so much like a paint card .... several shade of one colour, that just had a very minor difference between them. I think it's going to become a favourite of mine!

Oh yes ... I'm tres anxious to get at the sashing ... hopefully this weekend, I can get a good run on it!

Being that we're talking about "where" we live ... I live on the edge of a small village. Otherwise, I'm about 15 kms from the nearest "real" grocery and other shopping. In the village, we have a small grocery, but I hate it, as the fresh veggies are far from that, and overpriced. At least you know you can get something if you really need it in a pinch. However, there have been times that no, I couldn't .... eg. one time sugar was not on the shelves. Can you imagine that!

Being born and raised in the country, and always driving to the stores, I've always been used to keeping a running list ... and when I was on the farm, and I shopped, I shopped big! Never buy one thing, buy 1/2 dozen. When life changed and I was on my own ... OMG did I ever have to learn "how" to shop differently ... and also how to cook small(er) quantities!!!!

So I still keep an ongoing list, and take it with me .... if I feel like it, I might get several things done beyond the priorities. And if not, well, they wait!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:41 PM

I love your Santa block. It is just ever so cute.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 AM

Very interesting getting to know a little more about everyone. We live on about 4 acres of timber near a river...not farmers here, more "hunter/gatherers". We are about 10 minutes one directions to a town with a Walmart and small grocery store. The other direction it takes about 20 minutes for lots more options. I too am a list maker and try to combine my trips.

Since I started working once a week at the quilt shop I leave a couple hours early and get errands done before going in....this is to the bigger city. Right now I have at least 1 trip a week the other direction as well since the kids have archery practice, so can pick up a couple things if needed. This weekend is the State Tournament in Des Moines so they are very excited about that!

QuiltE I can't wait to see your FW quilt all put together!!

carrie
Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Thanks CarrieM .... did you see my blocks on the design wall? ... you'll also see some very familiar posters in the same thread!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...151010-19.html

Here's all the completed quilts
http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-quilt-along-completed-quilt-top-photo-discussion-page-
t148904.html

And there's LOTS More threads if you're wanting to find them ....
http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/f...res-b1689.html
Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 AM

QuiltE...I took a peek at your design wall link. Stunning! You are an artist for sure. Enjoy the rest of the process of putting it together. Will you also quilt it yourself? What kind of sewing machine do you have?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 AM

I live Somewhere in the middle of Nowhere in retirement within 25 miles of where I grew up. Its half-way between Des Moines, Iowa and Columbia, Missouri. Just over the Iowa line in North Central Missouri, that is where we enjoy peace and quiet country life. Its eleven miles to a small town, twenty-miles to hometown, forty miles to where we both went to college, and some one hundred miles to Des Moines, Iowa and about the same to Columbia, Missouri. Unlike Texas, we can grow our own tomatoes here and eat the mid-west beef & pork. As a child, I "helped" grandparents grow gardens and butcher four hogs and 2 beeves every year, and loved it. Yes, I have a list before going to town of choice depending on items on the list. Mostly, its my hometown where I have re-made new friends in the businesses now...butchers at the meat market, etc.Immedidate needs of LQS and dentists is the eleven miles away...small grocery store & gas stations...neat small town with some great folks living there and as neighbors here. I start lists, and add items to it until time and money says I can go down the road again. Computer shopping is a way of life to save gas money.

Clover leaf is coming up in PQ so you want a clover leaf patterned dark green fabric, PM me; first four or five I will send an envelope of a strip 5x23 inch fabric. FREE.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 AM

Honhey – Your block turned out so cute. It put a smile on my face. Thanks for adding adicional information about the PC kids winners.

Dublb – thanks for the zinc tip. Sorry all the family is sick, Whising you to get better soon.

Quilt E – thanks for the links for the blocks and FW quilts. Your quilt will be a gorgeous one. Love you put the maple leaf. Soon you will have it all done. Sow us the fabrics you got.
I am pretty happy to be, it is a great journey along and learning so much. FWPC quilt along have the greatest bunch of people.

QNinaSue – I have only 10 blocks with fabric planned. Can’t wait to see your blocks for this week and read your story. And I do think like you, it’s so good to communicate with you all, no matter how far we live from each other.

I live 5km from a very small country town. No big stores, no great shopping. Nothing like a Wallmart here, and as you can imagine there isn’t any LQS or fabric store in the city. The nearest is 30km far and don’t have great assortment for quilters, they carry only the basic. Poor of mine. But here we are close to nature and enjoy peace listening to the birds singing. DH goes shopping once a week.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:38 PM

QuiltE - I went to see the your quilt layout. It's gonna be great. Can you show us your sashing fabric? I also went to see the other FWS quilts. I really enjoyed the quilt show! Thanks for the link.

I live in a midsized town in West Texas. Every thing is 10 to 15 minuets away. Yet we are still limited. I really do have to find what I'm looking for on the net. I'm so spoiled about traveling distances that I don't like to go to Odessa, a town 20 miles to the west.
(Art - is a km equal to just over 3 miles?) I even live on the western side of Midland so it's even closer for me. My family has always done things 'country.' I have a garden & grow black eyed peas & tomatoes every year. 90% of the things I learned from my Grandad & my Mother. My DH didn't know any of these things till he met me but, he loves it.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:24 AM

QuiltE......Your blocks on that FWS are good! I think I would have like doing the smaller blocks, but I also like that I can do PPing on these blocks. I have become quite a fan of PPing.....(lazy, I guess) They make it so much easier to get "the good points! HeeHee!)

I, too live in a small town at the top of the San Joaquin Valley in CA. My closest quilt store is a good 25 miles away so I do most of my shopping online. So far, I've not been disappointed.
I grew up in a small mountain town and my Dad had a farm supply store, so I spent a lot of time visiting the farmers and ranchers surrounding our town proper. But I left my sweet little town when I went away to college and never returned to live. I have visited, but it's changed and I no longer love it.......However, the small town girl is part of my character.
As for this quilt, I am having so much fun reading the stories of life in the early 1900's. .....a far cry from today. And that being the case, nobody in my family gives a hoot about this quilt.....so sad. They are all "city folk" and have no interest at all in the "western side of life". When I was young, I use to think I would love to grow up and marry a rancher. I was in love with horses.... But that is not where life took me. I married a banker! Far cry from ranching!!!
So, for me, this quilt is a lot of nostalgia and I am really enjoying what so many of you post......I sit here with my cup of coffee and go into another world....courtesy of you all.......
Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 AM

Wendig..so you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl. It is nostalgia I know but life was simpler then and more in touch with the earth. The plus side now is that we can live all over the world and be friends with a common purpose...making our corner of the world more beautiful and comfy with quilts.