Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along  Week 40  Blocks 79 & 80   Photo Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Week 40 Blocks 79 & 80 Photo Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Week 40 Blocks 79 & 80 Photo Page

Old 12-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

QNonnie ... Great new blocks! I'll keep you company, as I'm on the last stretch too. I've been away from FWS for a bit, quilting for Christmas, and decorating, etc. Now I'm almost ready to go at my FWS blocks ... I think I have about 35 left to go. And I'm hoping to make serious headway before the Pony Club starts on January 3rd! Then I will only have one colour scheme ot keep my brain focused on!!!

So we can tag with each other now! And ....... we're offffff!

Old 12-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Hey QuiltE!

I wondered where you were! You had been doing so many blocks and then it stopped. I really thought it was the new quilt board not notifying me, but I had gone and put all the blocks in my threads.

Glad to hear from you. Hurray for us...the last big push. My mom used to always say that when we were in the middle of a task. We'd start a new part of it and she'd say, "The last big push." But it wasn't, but it did spur us on.

You really have a deadline with the PC coming up. After MUCH deliberation, and even collecting fabrics, I decided not to do the PC next year. I kept on wanting to do it with everyone from the FW. But I also have other quilts to do and just need time for them. For the school year it's difficult for me to even keep up with 2 blocks a week. Then I don't have any time to work on any thing else. I'd like to do shorter projects, like quilts that only take two or three months to finish!

I still have sashing, joining and quilting to do. I'm thinking another 18 months, mostly because I am going to hand quilt and I am still hand quilting another quilt. I think I'm more than half way through. So there's the sad story of why I won't be joining the party at the corral!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

*pout* *pout*
We'll miss you at the PC! Though I do understand your reasons. Sometimes I wonder if I've gotten myself in too deep and letting FWS/PC take up too much of my time from other want-to-do projects. However, I'm commmitted to both and will see them thru. Be sure to drop on in to the PC ... you know you'll be welcome!

Yes, life kind of got in the way of my FWS efforts for a bit. I don't have a lot happening these next couple of weeks over Christmas and the holidays. Obligatory GTGs, but no huge commitments of time, and being that I am not hosting any, I don't have any great huge cooking requirements to eat at my time. Made my 10 lbs potatoes today for Christmas day (yes, it's an delicious make-ahead recipe!), so I feel somewhat home free now. A bit more catching up and then FWS. I doubt I can get them all done before January 3rd, but I'll be close. The sashing etc. will be easy street ... no colour decisions!!

See you on the FWS threads as we both finish up!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Hey, ladies, I am NOT done with FWQ, still working with slashing and sewing it together...and trying to make big decisions of how its going to be quilted....by hand or machine. I do have all 142 blocks done for the king size and its on the visual board in a hallway outside my quilting room. Its just 18 months into the project, and I would rather not rush it too much.

January, I will start the FWSPC with the group; it sounds like one a week block, and that might work out. Yes , I have a ton of projects going on and to finish, so what is one more...but to have fun with it. If you really want something done right, just ask a busy person never the one who has a clean desk or sewing room. But I am NOT promising anyone on keeping up with the pace of the times... or, ah, the block of the week.

So I will use the slow cooker a little more or pre-fix meals just to microwave. Enjoy the moment; time flys on by much too fast in life. We promised ourselves to enjoy retirement, every miniute counts. Love, laugh & enjoy the smell of the roses with family & friends.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:51 PM

Oh what a wonderful thing for you! You're retired!! **sigh** **green with envy**

I'm still 6-8 years away from retirement though I dream of it lots and lots. I'm just grateful I don't have to work 8 hour days and am done at 3:00. The best thing for my quilting life is vacations: 1 week at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas and 1 week for Easter. Then there's summer...10 weeks of glorious time off.

Not only that but I would go stark, raving mad if I didn't have my sanity readjusted and soothed by quilting. If I can't quilt a couple of hours a week, I am quite bereft.

Your holidays sound very peaceful. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. I look forward to seeing the progress on your quilt.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

Hello!! Falling in behind her with the madly QuiltingNonnie!! Everyone's Silver Lane is so dramatic. And then the Single Wedding Star seems to be more subtle, yet shining brightly out.

Here's mine
#79 ... Silver Lane ... another one that I don't like as much, once I turn it on point!!
and
#80 ... Single Wedding Star ... I didn't like this one in the book and had a hard time picking the fabrics. Now that I've got it all done, I really like it. I think seeing it on point is what I needed to change my mind!

86/111 ------> 25!!!!!!!!!!
Now the real question will be, will I abandon ship for the PC?
Attached Thumbnails fws79-80.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-02-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:55 AM

Well, here's news! I'm abandoning ship for awhile. I have been in such a frenzy to crank these things out and get done that I found I wasn't enjoying it. I have no need to finish the blocks by any deadline at this point. As I've said, I'm still handquilting a queen size bed quilt. Until that is done, I can't start quilting the FW.

I have really been yearning to do a "regular" quilt. So the FW is on hiatus for now. I have just 16 blocks left to do, so I can always stick one in here and there before I'm ever ready to start putting it together.

Once I made the decision, I was very happy and couldn't wait to get into the quilt room to see which quilt from my closet I am going to make! I have bought so much fabric for various quilts, that I have enough quilting ready to keep me busy for many a year, or maybe a lifetime.

So if you abandon for the PC, you can be like me and just do a block here and there on FW. We are both too far along to never get it finished.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

I understand! It's more important that you set it aside and enjoy the last sixteen, than to push thru, and hate doing it .... that's all you'll remember. I'll miss you being with me this next while though.

Like you, I've been starting to get an itch for some larger pieces of fabric ... a "regular" quilt as you call it! Of course, I have many UFO/PhDs, that I can finish up, and want to get onto that before I start anything more. Then today, guess what? I started to think of a quilt pattern I want to do with a fabric I had out for the FWS last night. Silly me!!!

Hope that you'll be there watching over us during the ... you have to take care of you first and foremost!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:37 PM

I am definitely going to keep watching your progress here. See now you don't have to worry about trying to catch up with me!

I'm also going to watch the pony club quilt as it unfolds, so I'll see you there also.

I'll show you a picture of the first quilt I make now.

TTFN
Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Power Poster

Oh you'd better show us the quilt!!! ... what are you going to be making?
I envy you with all your hand quilting too ... something I don't, can't and won't do!

For PC, you will be one of our Quilt Whisperers along with OKSGlad!

Speaking of which ... I did two more blocks tonight, and haven't gone and checked out the "new" PC threads yet!