Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

ckcowl 09-09-2012 09:02 AM

i must say the Oregon blocks are sure turning out pretty! better than the one in the book :thumbup: sure a bunch of (artistic) quilters on this board!

paintmejudy 09-09-2012 09:21 AM

Thank you, Florence.

If you hadn't started this thread I would NEVER EVER in a million years done this project. So thanks again for getting up started and keeping us going.:thumbup:

PokerDiva 09-09-2012 11:15 AM

You're welcome Judy. And Colleen your Oregon star would make my home state happy.

nickylsf 09-09-2012 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5502041)
here is my Oregon block- thanks for the (info) nickylsf---i kept thinking about all that embroidery & how i would make it fit---now i won't bother worrying about it :)
i do plan to use a 7 across-8 down layout (the 50 + 6 alternative blocks) so i will be making a pretty large quilt- definitly no need for sashings.
and about that (daughter request for my -discarded- Iowa block...she wants a queen size quilt made out of it-she's so funny)
anyhow-
Oregon done- now on to work on a couple other projects i really need to be working on- suddenly the (season) is hitting! hubby watching football- that means me quilting :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]361453[/ATTACH]

Colleen. Your Oregon is beautiful. Have a wonderful quilting day! I plan to do the same, working on my OBW.

nickylsf 09-09-2012 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 5502077)
Thank you, Florence.

If you hadn't started this thread I would NEVER EVER in a million years done this project. So thanks again for getting up started and keeping us going.:thumbup:

I totally agree! Florence, thank you so much. This says a lot for the power of the group.

whitepine 09-09-2012 01:10 PM

CK, the thing I like most about this project is that each star is different. I don't think I could make a quilt of all the same so my hats off to you in doing one for your daughter. And I too thank PokerDiva for keeping us going. It will have definitely marked off a year when we're done. The year of the stars.

Nicky & Judy, really nice OBWs. It's amazing how those turn out but I'm not ready to start one yet. Don't they waste a lot of fabric?

Judy, Your stars look fantastic. I'm kind of envious that you're done. :)

Great Oregon blocks!!

PokerDiva, this is the best I can come up with for Oregon. Maybe you have a better idea. It has nothing to do with Oregon, but was recorded in Portland, and that counts. Hard to believe now what a controversy this caused in 1963.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cec1JInytH0

whitepine 09-09-2012 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oregon. I thought I was getting better at selecting colors, but the wrong one stands out. [ATTACH=CONFIG]361520[/ATTACH]

PokerDiva 09-09-2012 01:49 PM

I think you did great with the colors whitepine. I always did like blue and green together. I like the song Louie Louie. I had no idea it was recorded in Portland.

ckcowl 09-09-2012 01:51 PM

whitepine- i love your Oregon Block!
and btw---there is NO WAY i am making my daughter a quilt with all the same block---
(CK, the thing I like most about this project is that each star is different. I don't think I could make a quilt of all the same so my hats off to you in doing one for your daughter. )
she just really likes the Iowa block i made & discarded and wants me to design her a queen sized quilt around that block- she knows me well enough to know- I discarded it in the first place- i won't be making more of it! to me it is a HORRENDOUS block (the new Iowa is so much better)
we shall see what i wind up doing with it as a center feature---only time will tell & i have alot of other things in the works before i'm even willing to set that horrible block up & start considering...my daughter is a (purple girl) & i've never been all that into purple- so everything for her is a challenge- having to start with that block just puts the challenge up to a new level ;)
(

PokerDiva 09-09-2012 02:13 PM

OK Colleen, that block is not HORRENDOUS. And I love purple.