Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

rwquilts 01-25-2012 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These blocks are so pretty! I love seeing all the different color combinations we're coming up with! I am continuing with my beach theme... so here's my Arkansas!

caquiltingdeb 01-25-2012 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Deecee (Post 4908243)
I'll see how I go at 6". Alabama might be the first and last.

A question for those who have the book. Does she give a pic of the completed block or just the ¼ section as in the download patterns?

For each block she also shows a picture of 4 of the same blocks sewn together. One of my favorite parts of quilting is seeing the secondary patterns of blocks sewn together. Some of the patterns created when she shows 4 of the blocks together are really terrific.

Deb

DawnFurlong 01-25-2012 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by sandy l (Post 4906128)
Here's my Arkansas block. Wasn't sure about it after I got started, but now that its done I like it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]305840[/ATTACH]

Love the red and black theme. All of the blocks are so pretty - so many different variations!

paintmejudy 01-25-2012 10:22 AM

I agree. I made a 4-block Hawaii that I posted a couple weeks ago. The secondary pattern was as pretty as the block pattern.

Originally Posted by caquiltingdeb (Post 4909320)
For each block she also shows a picture of 4 of the same blocks sewn together. One of my favorite parts of quilting is seeing the secondary patterns of blocks sewn together. Some of the patterns created when she shows 4 of the blocks together are really terrific.

Deb

DawnFurlong 01-25-2012 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, I think I am going to like paper piecing! I have made 1/4th of my Delaware star. I noticed that somehow I managed to nick off the edge of a piece though. Can't figure how I did that, but it is a straight cut across. I am thinking that it might be within the 1/4 inch though, so that that section is salvageable by the time I join the pieces together for the whole block? If not, I do have a few ideas floating around as to how to fix it (that do not involve taking apart the block). I am using scraps of fabric, so do not have enough to redo it, and I have all of the pieces cut for the rest of the block, so would like to salvage if I can. I have attached a picture (paper is curling a bit, it is rainy here - which is why the one piece looks wonky/curling).[ATTACH=CONFIG]306118[/ATTACH]

paintmejudy 01-25-2012 12:35 PM

Been there, done that ... way too many times LOL

I take a little scrap of the fabric and attach it with Liquid stitch. Trim when dry. You don't even know it is there. If you hope tha the 1/4" will cover it, it will still be skimpy at the center and might pull out.

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong (Post 4909939)
Okay, I think I am going to like paper piecing! I have made 1/4th of my Delaware star. I noticed that somehow I managed to nick off the edge of a piece though. Can't figure how I did that, but it is a straight cut across. I am thinking that it might be within the 1/4 inch though, so that that section is salvageable by the time I join the pieces together for the whole block? If not, I do have a few ideas floating around as to how to fix it (that do not involve taking apart the block). I am using scraps of fabric, so do not have enough to redo it, and I have all of the pieces cut for the rest of the block, so would like to salvage if I can. I have attached a picture (paper is curling a bit, it is rainy here - which is why the one piece looks wonky/curling).[ATTACH=CONFIG]306118[/ATTACH]

DawnFurlong 01-25-2012 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 4909990)
Been there, done that ... way too many times LOL

I take a little scrap of the fabric and attach it with Liquid stitch. Trim when dry. You don't even know it is there. If you hope tha the 1/4" will cover it, it will still be skimpy at the center and might pull out.

Yes, I was worried about that (the center pulling out because it is too skimpy). That was my thought - to attach a small piece of fabric. Have never used Liquid stitch before, though have heard of it. Think I will be purchasing a small bottle of this!!

Deecee 01-25-2012 01:08 PM

Thanks for the info regarding the book everyone. I confess to being a bookaholic and would also like to see the full block and block x 4 without cut and pasting it up on my computer or waiting for pics to be posted.

Might have to browse my on-line book shop.

tomilu 01-25-2012 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Deecee (Post 4906554)
Hi ladies.
Here is my Alabama - I have done this as a 6" finished which was pretty fiddly but I shall see how I go at this size.[ATTACH=CONFIG]305905[/ATTACH]

Very pretty!!! I am glad I'm doing the big blocks. My Farmers Wife blocks are 6", so that is enough of that size for a while.

Mad Mimm 01-25-2012 04:16 PM

I did the same thing to my first block and I left it alone. When I put the quarters together, I had no trouble - all it ended up doing was reducing a bit of bulk in the seam and the 1/4 inch seam allowance covered it.

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong (Post 4909939)