Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

QuiltE 11-26-2012 03:06 PM

GGal ... yes and no ... I came home last Tues ... leave again on Sun for most of the week. I've been trying to work on Christmas stuff (non-sewing) and get it out of the way. Christmas cards written, and will finish addressing them tonight. Outside decorations are done. 4 pine wreaths made. Christmas tree bought and will go up tmro. Earliest I've ever done that, though have help to do it tmro night ... and being that I am heading out on Sunday, it seems kind of silly. However, my plan is that when I go on Sunday, I am decorated for the holidays and will come back to it ... with not a lot to do! Yea, right .... that means then I can get serious on the Christmas sewing.

I am SO sad for not doing any sewing ... though I will confess, I have a bunch of GFG done. I can see it's going to become a good travelling project for me and something to do when I am not in the sewing room ... like when I am talking on the phone!

Am doing a small wall hanging or table topper and am already thinking ahead that my next and GFG will be done as a TATW style, all in different florals. What do y'all think of that as a possibility? Make sense? or silly idea?

Honchey 11-26-2012 04:13 PM

QuiltE..how great to have so much done already...Our trip to NC is now postponed until after Christmas...With everything from the storm...cleanup getting the dormer secured from rain..we didn't notice the damage until the trees were removed...a bathroom fan vent got cracked and water seeped thru....we just covered it up... Will have to wait until early spring to get these items repaired...We will hopefully be staying for an extended visit this time...Winter isn't officially here yet and I'm already tired of it...we are due to get some snow tonite...I do love the snow tho'.....while it's snowing.
I printed out the sections of the block I'm making for everyone....now to cut them out while watching TV...we just finished eating a great pot roast with mashed potatoes and some broccoli...it was yummy...
Oksewglad..sorry for your loss...
And I want to thank eveyone for keeping this thread moving along with lots of chatter....I may be absent from the keyboard but I do keep up with it....

dublb 11-26-2012 04:37 PM

GG I'm lookin' so forward ta gittin your blocks & I'll take great care o' those blocks w/points. :)
I use Arifil or Gutterman 90% o' the time.

carriem 11-26-2012 06:46 PM

I use Aurifil for both piecing (have a cone of a light tan that has lasted through lots of quilts) and quilting (in coordinating colors).

QuiltE 11-26-2012 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 (Post 5680570)
BTW...I read a thread about Bottom Line thread and how it helped make seams more accurate since it is 60wt. What threads do you all use for piecing? I've been using Arifil and my machine like it but I know it's a heavier thread.

Just saw others' responses and realized I did not reply to you on this, GGal.

I switched over to Aurifil a year ago. Til then, I thought that thread was thread and so what difference could the brand make? I have a different thought on that now!! :D

While it's a 50 wt thread, it seems to be so much finer than other 50 wts. And with that, you get a lot more mileage in a spool of thread. I use the same in both top and bottom. About the same time, I shortened up my stitch length, and that alone, has made a huge difference to seams IMHO. OK, I'll comine that with Best Press and pressing at every step of the way to produce good seams.

I have a LOT Of Gutterman and Mettler threads, and find I avoid them like the plague, now that I have a love-fest going with Aurifil. I do try to persuade myself to sneak back and use them on lesser favoured projects ... but it's hard as they are all favourites!!!

Honchey ... I can totally understand your not going to NC. With all that has happened, I'm sure you could not truly enjoy it for now, and would only be worrying about it all.Til then, I think you'll have to find yourself a local Bingo Hall!!! :)

dublb 11-26-2012 07:20 PM

Anne-I'm kinda relieved ta here your not gonna be travelin' while all those things are goin' on around ya. Sandy was such a bad storm. Maybe ya can travel later.
QE - What is TATW???

QuiltE 11-26-2012 08:08 PM

DublB .... TATW = Trip Around The World

dublb 11-26-2012 08:14 PM

Awwww, I should have know that. Duh! I think a GFG would be beautiful as a TATW!!!!!!!!!!! Go for it!!

Honchey 11-26-2012 08:30 PM

Oh, You remember my Bingo nights do ya!!! Well, I can go to Delaware for that...my sister goes to a church bingo every Monday eve...

dublb 11-26-2012 08:45 PM

That's better. :) Bingo that is closer.