Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   New York Beauty Quilt Along Begins Oct 1st (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/new-york-beauty-quilt-along-begins-oct-1st-t199410.html)

lillybeck 10-22-2012 06:47 AM

Wow finally a paper piecing tute that I understand. Thank you.

rainagade 10-22-2012 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by amh (Post 5602413)

My mind reverted back to when I sewed garmets and it is similar to putting in a sleeve. For me, I had to get the paper off before it would work for me, but I starched it well and used the stay stitching technique suggested earlier, and pinned it with lots of pins.

amh

Garment sewing; yes, I have to admit that I did take the paper off to complete the the curved piece. It was self defense I think. i knew it had to fit so I went back to the basics, something I knew that worked.

I will keep trying to get some curved seams by PP'ing as I go along. I remind myself that I want this years project to be a "challenge".

The other thing I am going to do is: Pre-cut all my outer pieces so that's done. I am using all the same dark plum fabric for this.

I struggled with fabrics for a while. What has to match, what can be scrappy.... if I did scrappy the colors would balance when the block went together. Think kaleidoscope and I moved past trying to organize colors.

I will pick up more fabrics from the Kansas Troubles line. I am thinking 1/4 yard of ones I like. I have a cathedral windows type of blocks I am doing mostly by hand using the same fabrics.

Now, where did my rainy days go?

efayard 10-23-2012 04:43 AM

Renea you did good.Look at those points. I found that if you put the curved outer pieces on top of the arcs when sewing and pin it works better.

rainagade 10-23-2012 05:58 AM

Ellen, did you do this without using the PP'ing technique?

After several attempts, I finally removed the paper from the curved piece and sewed it together.

You are right about the points, which is what New York Beauty is all about.

thimblebug6000 10-23-2012 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I finally managed to finish the one block, I guess it can only get better from here. It is a little wonky & don't want to press it with steam until the paper is off later. [ATTACH=CONFIG]371977[/ATTACH]

efayard 10-23-2012 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by rainagade (Post 5606149)
Ellen, did you do this without using the PP'ing technique?

After several attempts, I finally removed the paper from the curved piece and sewed it together.

You are right about the points, which is what New York Beauty is all about.

I pp'd the arcs and found I had to remove the paper before sewing to the other pieces

efayard 10-23-2012 04:52 PM

Very nice thimblebug

amh 10-24-2012 03:32 AM

Love your block thimblebug. The colours are great together. Thanks for sharing.

amh

kristen0112 10-25-2012 09:51 PM

Thimblebug beautiful block love the colors!

jclinganrey 10-26-2012 08:35 AM

amh - - - just beautiful. I'm working on mine too. The #1 block gave me a migraine, so went back to #0. I might have a bazillion of the 0 block in mine. Ya never know - - - - -

Jane