Another Scam Alert

Old 10-23-2014, 07:06 AM

Default Another Scam Alert

I just wanted to alert everyone there is another scam out there. I think this one's been around awhile but it's surfacing again. This one says it's from FedEx 2 Day Delivery. Since I wasn't expecting anything from FedEx I checked the sender address. If you hover over the sender the address will show. These are coming from Romania. I've received several of these of the last few days. All from different addresses in Romania.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

If I don't have a FED-EX shipment expected, I delete the email. You have to be careful with the emails. often if you open them they are Trojans a.k.a. viruses. I tell everyone I know to let me know if they are sending me a package and I do the same. I let them know the manner of shipment or mailing. I'm expecting a package via Priority Mail. Should be here today. Should have been here yesterday since it was sent out on the 20th. When I send anything by Priority Mail to my folks up north they always get it within 48 hours and same when they send to me in same manner. My sister up north in Indiana has sent me packages via regular mail and I have received withing 48-2 hours. but package I'm expecting is coming from California. Not sure why it takes much longer but makes no sense.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:14 AM

I don't know if this is a scam or just a company trolling for business. Yesterday I received a bill from Publishers Billing Association for a one-year subscription to a major NY newspaper for $1099.95. No that wasn't a typo. For my convenience I can pay in two installments of $549.98. I don't subscribe to this paper. Every morning I go downstairs to the store in our building and buy the paper I want. I don't know how or where they got my name. The statement said it can be for a new or renewal subscription. Nothing I can add except be very careful.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:16 AM

It's near to the holidays, so this one will re-surface and multiply many times. Don't open them as they could contain a nasty virus- just mark as spam and delete.

My email has an ability to reject up to 500 email addresses - it's full and i still get scam and spam. The email id's are similar but different on every one.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:22 AM

It is a scam, not someone trolling for business. The Publishers Billing Association mail you got sounds like a scam, too. After all, to order the newspaper for a year you have to give out your name, address, telephone, CC# and the security code. Then they have all they need to take full advantage of you and your credit card.

Bottom line is that none of us should EVER respond to email solicitations of any kind - unless you want to LOOK UP the phone number of the company named in the email and call them. Never use a phone number or a link given in an email, as it will take you directly to the scammer.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:29 AM

I got this FedEx email today. Funny thing is I am expecting something by FedEx delivery. I've seen these scams before, so I just deleted it.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:29 AM

I get the FedEx one all the time, but yesterday I got a new one on my cell phone---they wanted my billing address and credit card number for the new cell phone that "I" had picked up at one of the big-name discount stores (it named several). They wanted to activate it for me......Yeah, right!!!!! I wasn't even in any of those places yesterday.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:04 AM

Those Publishers people send me crap all the time. I just shred them. It's so ridiculous!
Old 10-24-2014, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I keep a low profile on the interest so I haven't gotten on any scam list. I have been worried since they hacked into eBay. I usually end up changing my username ever year or so just to avoid them.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:41 AM

I got one yesterday.."notice to appear" in court--details in the attachment. My antivirus/malaware notified me that the attachment had been removed--contained a virus. I would not have opened it anyway. I tracked the email to a sender @"NewMexicotruckaccidentlawers.com". DUH! Suddenly the scam spams are coming frequently. I wonder if it has anything to do with support having been stopped for WinXP...that's what I am still using. Grateful for my security program, tho.