A better mop

Old 10-06-2015, 08:19 AM

Default A better mop

My mop broke this morning. I've gone through at least a half dozen of this kind in the last few years. It's the kind with the cotton strands the you can pull up on the handle and twist to squeeze the water out. I'm sick of them. They don't last.
My question: what kind of mop do you use? And does it last longer than 6 months? My dh wants one of those big industrial mops that needs a bucket with a ringer. I'm disabled and don't want to wrestle with all that. Suggestions please!!!
Old 10-06-2015, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

I have the same you have. I have used same type for about 5 years. I have an extra head and swap back and forth. It's hard to find a good cotton mop with a wooden handle that you can clamp on. Most have the flimsy plastic handle. DH got upset because of the price I paid for the current one but anything bigger is also hard for me to handle and not as easy to wash. I put the cotton part in an old pillow case that I also use to launder my dogs leashes. I was surprised how many people don't wash their mops after use. I throw it in with rags and dogs towels. Oh well. It's about time to get a new handle.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:52 AM

I usually just soak my mop head in an antibacterial cleaner and water to clean it. We have dogs in the house and live on a farm, so my mop is in almost continuous use. I did have a steam mop, but it stopped working not long after I bought it.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I use a swiffer mop but put a washable microfiber cloth on it and squirt cleaner in front of me. If the cloth gets dirty I change it out mid mop. I have had a lot of mops and floor cleaners but this is the one I like now. When we had the big dog I had one of those Hoover floor mates which squirted cleaning solution on the dirty floor and brushes scrubbed and then a different button pulled the dirty water into a different container. Worked great. Don't need it now.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:02 AM

Actually, the best mop made is made from linen. The strands wind together and it looks like cotton, but no lint. I can't find them now. I have 5 or 6 hanging out in the garage drying. I don't like any of them.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

I use a stream mop. Just plain water needed and it dries instantly.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

I buy and use the swiffer mop pads. They come in solution and it takes two to do my kitchen floor. With two small dogs I do alot of wipe ups with vinegar and water solution.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:27 PM

I don't mop. That and dusting. I do everything else, but hubby does those 2 chores. My mom is a clean machine and swears that the "as seen on TV Spin Mop" is the best thing since sliced bread. I'll take her word for it :-)
Old 10-06-2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I use a swiffer mop but put a washable microfiber cloth on it and squirt cleaner in front of me. If the cloth gets dirty I change it out mid mop. I have had a lot of mops and floor cleaners but this is the one I like now. When we had the big dog I had one of those Hoover floor mates which squirted cleaning solution on the dirty floor and brushes scrubbed and then a different button pulled the dirty water into a different container. Worked great. Don't need it now.
I also wash by floor with the Swiffer mop with a microfiber cloth. I use PineSol for the soap.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:19 PM

I'm thinking of trying the libman wonder mop. I read a sir e.g. that said it was very popular. I'm also going to get the reusable pads for the swifter. I already have the mop. I want to thank everyone for your help and your opinions. I found them very helpful. Gina