Buying/Selling

Old 11-10-2010, 08:23 AM

Let me first start out by saying that I find being able to sell and on this board is a privledge and I do appreciate it.

I just have a little tip to buyers....When you inquire about an item and shipping please advise seller that you might need a payment plan or a pay later date before you commit to buying something. As a seller I am usually open to helping others out since I have been there and done that but it is always nice to know these things before transaction actually takes place. I for one was in the habit of mailing items while I was at the post office getting shipping costs. I have MS and it was cutting down on the trips I was having to make to po. I have two wonderful clerks who help me tremenously on getting the cheapest way to ship an item - I have even seen them stuff an envelope for me that I didnt think could be done lol

After items are shipped I advise buyers of their total cost including shipping. Some of the buyers would tell me that
they will pay later - It is hard for us to keep track of all of this.....I do realize that things come up suddenly and there are emergencies and illnesses to take care of which is understandable. Please dont assume that later pay dates and pay plans are okay if not discussed first. The sellers are often times out the postage up front and prevents them from buying from other sellers because funds are tied up.

To sum it up - dont get me wrong - I DO appreciate selling here on the board an want to continue the great relationships developed here. I will make exceptions 99.99% of the time when I know up front. Buyers expect sellers to be totally up-front and not hold anything back on their items and sellers would like the same courtesy.

This is not aimed at anyone-I hesitated to put up at all but just thought I would mention it thanks IT IS NOT MY INTENT TO HURT ANYONES FEELINGS!!! IF I HAVE I AM SORRY....I am more than okay with transactions that I have already completed..thanks cheryl
Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 AM

Cheryl,
you as well as every other seller has the right to be respected as a seller.
it's obvious buyers can't walk into a store and shop
that way so why should it be any different here.
I personally feel what you wrote was well stated
and am sure others will agree with you :)
Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Emsgrammy, this is a great post.

Just a thought here, a little off topic but something to make shipping easier for you. Have you thought about getting an online USPS account??? It makes shipping soooooo much easier!!
I have an ebay business and never go to the post office and it's free to have an account. I use my Paypal shipping for ebay but my USPS for gifts, board things, etc. My carrier picks up all my things.
They won't let you ship First Class online though, (unless you ship with Paypal shipping) that's the only thing I wish they would do. Other than that it's really convenient.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:55 AM

I know I have friends (local) who ask me to do /make things usually holiday cookies, SEVERAL dozen, they come to pick them up and then just say, thanks, I forgot my wallet, I'll catch ya later. Most times I have to remind them 2-3 times, so now I say "just like at WalMart, you aint getting out the door till you pay", of course we laugh but them I remind them to bring their money when they come to pick them up (since they just can't find time to come back by to pay)
even tho we are all friends here I think we should expect to shop just like we do any place else. of course we can and do make allowances for unforseen happenings (which they sure wouldn't do at any "real" store so we should be respectful of others and like we learned in childhood, treat others like you want them to treat you. thankfully we have never had much problem buying and selling here at this free storefront
Old 11-10-2010, 08:56 AM

I had considered that but a little too late also thought about getting a scale here - I hope to be done destashing very soon. Of course If I keep buying here will have to de-stash again in about 6 months to year lol

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Emsgrammy, this is a great post.

Just a thought here, a little off topic but something to make shipping easier for you. Have you thought about getting an online USPS account??? It makes shipping soooooo much easier!!
I have an ebay business and never go to the post office and it's free to have an account. I use my Paypal shipping for ebay but my USPS for gifts, board things, etc. My carrier picks up all my things.
They won't let you ship First Class online though, (unless you ship with Paypal shipping) that's the only thing I wish they would do. Other than that it's really convenient.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:56 AM

Susan, do you have to buy a scale so you can know what postage to use?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Kathy,yes, I do have a scale that I bought on ebay for not a lot. It's very handy. However most of what I ship is in Priority flat rate envelopes or boxes.
But I use the scale for First Class.

"I had considered that but a little too late also thought about getting a scale here - I hope to be done destashing very soon. Of course If I keep buying here will have to de-stash again in about 6 months to year lol"

That cracked me up!! Are we all alike here????? lol
Old 11-10-2010, 09:03 AM

I bought a scale and it makes life soooo much easier. I was eating so much money in under estimated shipping costs that I said "Enough"! Now I can tell at a glance what it will cost and the software from the scale works with my Mac! It's awesome.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

Candace, one of my boys won't use anything but a Mac. I wish I had one but am too lazy to learn something else new :D
Besides that I don't have the money for one right now!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 AM

I don't know if it is exactly accurate, but I have used a food scale for lighter items and I have a puppy scale, for weighing puppies that I use for larger boxes. I use the "Click N Ship" from the post office to send things out. Works out great. I started using it at work first and it works wonderfully.