Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Disconnecting the WIFI experiment >

Disconnecting the WIFI experiment

Disconnecting the WIFI experiment

Old 08-26-2016, 10:44 PM

I have a mobile phone which rests in my handbag usually with a flat battery . Never bothered me until I had a flat tyre the other week. I just thought how did I manage this problem before mobiles? Hey presto new tyre. It annoys me those people who answer a phone call when you are out to dinner with them. Do they want my company or is the call person more important?
Old 08-27-2016, 04:07 AM

I was in the Reno airport last Christmas and a man sitting close to me was talking very loudly on his cell phone. Another lady was sitting next to him and was very definitely "listening" to every word he said. Finally he stopped and looked at her and said, "Do you mind?" She replied that she thought he wanted her to listen since he was talking so loudly in a public place. The man quickly ended his call and then got up and left. She looked at me and said, "It works every time! Now we have peace and can visit with each other." We then had a delightful conversation! Loved that lady!
Old 08-27-2016, 04:23 AM

My rules are no devices of any kind allowed at meals..unless hubby gets a on duty call
Old 08-27-2016, 04:33 AM

I think the saddest thing I ever saw was a group of 20 year old girlfriends waiting for a table. There wasn't one sound among them for 30 minutes as they were on their cells. My DGD had a sweet 16 party and kept doing texts all night long to people who did not attend, she barely could talk to the kids who came. Poor manners.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=Snooze2978;7637064]. I have a cell phone but only use it if I'm broken down somewhere. Otherwise its turned off and in my purse. I'm also unsubscribing to a lot of my websites I receive emails daily. I feel I need to get back to basics and keep off the PC more.

My cell is in my purse turned off also, use it for long distance calls and in an emergency, like my flat tire.
Same here about not getting so many newsletters/emails, I want to have a life.
At Sunday adult class, a woman has her phone set up on the table in front of her and looks at it all the time. WHY??
Old 08-27-2016, 01:21 PM

I was at the grocery and my phone rang. The grocery clerk was shocked that I didn't answer it. "Aren't you going to get that?" "No, I'm dealing with you right now." She was honestly shocked. It was unreal. People must interrupt her all the time to answer their phones while they are checking out their groceries. Just rude, IMO.

Watson
Old 08-28-2016, 06:10 PM

My now 16 yo grandson has been in my custody since he was a baby. It has always been no phone, no tv, no hat on at dinner. He also knows to address all adults with yes mam, no mam, hold doors for all ladies, no foul language, always tell me where is going and with whom. I instilled this in him from when he was very young, very consistent, no exceptions. He follows all this now as his norm, times I have to say anything is almost nonexistent. He is very into school activities and sports, every time I am at a game or event another parent, grandparent, or teacher tells me what a great young man his is.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
My now 16 yo grandson has been in my custody since he was a baby. It has always been no phone, no tv, no hat on at dinner. He also knows to address all adults with yes mam, no mam, hold doors for all ladies, no foul language, always tell me where is going and with whom. I instilled this in him from when he was very young, very consistent, no exceptions. He follows all this now as his norm, times I have to say anything is almost nonexistent. He is very into school activities and sports, every time I am at a game or event another parent, grandparent, or teacher tells me what a great young man his is.
Bravo Jeanann!! Sounds like we have the same grandsons......lol........

Micheal has a cell phone, but getting him to answer his phone is like pulling teeth. He stayed with us for a week during spring break I think he used his phone once to call his Dad. Same for our granddaughter Dawnette, they see it as more of a necessity than a must have.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:39 AM

Jeanann, You are my hero! Your parenting strategies are a recipe for turning out an exceptional adult. If everyone were raising their children this way, the world would be a better place.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Yep! Loved it!! Went out for lunch on Sunday and one table a family of 4 all had devices going even while eating lunch. One was on a laptop. One sent all a message and they gave high fives. They were irked though when the waitress tried to place their drinks on the table. Hubby and I just shook our heads. WE went on to enjoy our meal.
why even go out together, order take out or delivery since no communication is happening. that's sad

Last edited by romanojg; 08-30-2016 at 05:39 AM.