Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Disconnecting the WIFI experiment >

Disconnecting the WIFI experiment

Disconnecting the WIFI experiment

Old 08-26-2016, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

When someone is absorbed in their phone or computer when in a social setting I ignore them completely. If I'm not worth paying attention to then neither are they.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
long before personal devices became common, it was TV. I can't begin to say how many people I've visited over the years who never turn off the TV and look like they are viewing a tennis match. Look at guest, look at TV, look at guest.

One of the many reasons we don't even have TV
I detest having to talk over the TV when visiting people. That is so rude to keep the tv blaring. It's not like I dropped in unexpected. One time is enough for me. I don't go back. They can come to my house if I invite them.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:13 AM

I grew up in a house where we weren't allowed to watch much tv. We had a black and white set when most households had graduated to color. There were also only 3 channels that came in clearly (if you adjusted the antenna and the horizontal and vertical controls.) Before television, people listened to radio, and before radio, families gathered in parlors and read to one another or played music and sang. When I studied sociology, we studied about how television had altered the family. People once faced one another and interacted and communicated. With television, familes face the television and are usually quite.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:16 AM

When out in public and someone is speaking very loudly on their phone, I softly, politely and with a smile say to them 'Excuse me, but I am sure you aren't aware of your personal conversation being heard by all these strangers'. Usually, out of embarassment, they lower their voice. Some don't care and will never care, but many will move or soften the sound. When I am working, I just stand perfectly still and wait. Eventually the customer stops and repeats what they wanted cut. I say (again softly and with a smile) that it's ok, I can wait until they are done. It frosts me that people think so little of the folks they are either dealing with or that are around them. My kids say I am being rude and just don't 'get it'. I think I am getting a small victory when they either quiet down or get off their phone.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:19 AM

My mom used to have her programs. She also taped them, so if I stopped by she could have turned off the tv. But, if her programs were on, she would just shush me. So, I started to leave whenever she did this. After a few times, she got it. (I did not try to come by when her special programs were on. Her new specials changed all the time and I couldn't have ever kept track of them.)
Old 08-26-2016, 10:20 AM

It rather irks my hubby and myself when we go out to eat and everyone sitting around us has their "toys" to play with. All with heads down--even babies have theirs. We have thought it would be fun to have pretend ones to sit and pretend to be busy on them but why bother. Too bad people have them on but don't use them unless they get a call and then take them outside or another area to talk so that everyone else doesn't get to enjoy the conversations.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:33 AM

No TV on during meals here. It is a hardship for one 17 yo GS on Christmas Day. There is some bb game on he feels he can't miss. He always pushes the wrong button on the remote and I don't fix it until after dinner. Problem solved. I used to tell him it was a magic remote that respected Christmas dinner time, but I don't think he's fall for that now. Phones? Put it away or put it in the toilet. The parents let me get away with that though I feel they are the ones that should be saying it, but it's my house, so my rules if they don't.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:43 AM

My cell usually is off, sitting either in the bottom of my purse or on my nightstand. I must confess, if I wake during the night and can't talk myself into going back to sleep a quick game of scrabble w/ computer on my cell will make my eyes tired and off I go. I try texting occasionally, but that keyboard is way smaller than my fingertips and I can create the oddest language.......and company....when I get.....is courteously requested to turn off..........
Old 08-26-2016, 10:47 AM

Lynnie, I just wanted to comment on what you said about the devices keeping the children quiet in restaurants. I think a lot of people must feel this way. When my children were younger, I saw going out to eat with them as an exercise in how one should behave when they are out to eat. It was a perfect opportunity for them to practice using their manners. I didn't have to contend with devices then, but if I had, I would not have allowed them at the table. It seems a lot of parents either are not aware that it is in poor taste to be on the phone during dinner, or they just don't care.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:06 AM
mac

I, also find it rude when people use their electronics when they are in a group of people. What is the point? Either you are there to socialize or you are not. Personally, I would rather interact with the group than with an "object."