Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well? >

Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well?

Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well?

Old 04-05-2011, 06:27 PM

My DD and family bought a pitbull today. They have 3 kids ages 7-12 and I'm not sure what to think about it. They rescued the dog from a shelter. The original owner is in the military and was sent to Afghanistan, left the dog with his uncle, and the uncle is sick and can't take care of the dog.
My daughter says she is very good with the children, doesn't bark or jump on people when they come in the house, is lovable and cuddles, etc.
I know Rachel Ray has a pitbull and talks about how the dogs have gotten a bad rap but I still don't feel real comfortable about this.
Do you think I have reason to worry.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:33 PM

my g'f has a pitbull and hes very protective of the children the 3 yr old climbs all over him although they had him since a puppy. I have a lab pit mix whos just as sweet as ever its all in the handling of the animals and where they came from. makes me nervous at times to be around my friends dog but i have never had an issue.

I would not worry they would not give a family with kid a vicious dog I cannot get a small lap dog because I have a child under the age of 10.

I have a pit bull/chow mix, and a smooth coat chow, I've had 2 rough coat chows, and a german shepherd/chow mix. I've never had anything but compliments on them. I really believe that it's how the dogs are raised, certain breeds of dogs do need to be "socialized", but it sounds like this one has, so I personally wouldn't have any qualms about the dog. A lot of the dog bites are NOT from the big dogs, but the little ones.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:34 PM

Pitties can be wonderful pets, and chances are the shelter wouldn't have adopted him out of he had aggression issues. Just remind her, that like all dogs, she should never leave the dog and kid alone together. 90% of kid bites happen when dog and kid are together unsupervised.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I had one many years ago before we had kids but when the kids came along we gave the dog away. I've never been comfortable with certain dogs around kids. Pit bulls can be the most gentle dogs but can also snap with out warning. I don't want to alarm you but it seems that your grandchildren are of a good age to have around one. It's the smaller children that worry me.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 PM

One of my friends has a rescue pit bull and she is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever known. I would also be more worried about some of the smaller breeds around children. Just use common sense regarding children and dogs in general, and everything should be just fine.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 PM

I had a pitbull/lab mix. Got her at the Humane Society, only puppy there that no one wanted. We took her and then had her assessed (at the time our daughter was 7 and I was afraid for her after the puppy "smiled" at her). We had to put her down last year at the age of 15, and there isn't a day that I don't miss her. The most amazing dog. Didn't bark, loved everyone, including the two cats that came after her. I think as long as they are trained, loved and treated right, this dog will be the most loving, loyal, enjoyable pet. They do get a bad rap, because most owners get them for the wrong reasons. Any dog can become mean, it's all in the way they are handled (loved). Good luck.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:52 PM

My brother had a full bred pit bull raised with a baby all was fine when he gave her to my dad I had cautions but never alarmed by her behavior! one of my sons tripped over her when he was two when she turned her head she cut his cheek the cops were called because of a couple stitches but no one ever worried about her hurting a child. I would not leave a child alone with it but they are as safe as a Chiwewa as far as that goes
Old 04-05-2011, 06:57 PM

Pit bulls are illegal to own within the city that I live in.