Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well? >

Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well?

Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well?

Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 PM

My neighbors have a HUGE pitbull but he's the biggest baby on earth, he just wants love!! My only concern with him and kids would be his strength and wanting to jump for attention. I have a corgi and have to keep an eye on her with my kids because she was kicked at by a neighbors 4 year old when she was younger and we had our backs turned. You just have to keep an eye on them and teach kids how to approach and handle any dog.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:01 PM

If it was me, I would put faith in my daughter that she would not bring anything dangerous into her home. I can say I have known several pitbulls, and they have always been the most loving loyal family dogs. I completely understand your fear. It will take awhile, but before you know it, your opinion might just take a 180 :)
Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 PM

Pit bulls have gotten a really bad rap sadly. They were originally bred as nanny dogs to watch over the children. They can truly be one of the best dogs for children-it really is in how they are raised and handled. You have to trust in your daughter and that the shelter would not adopt out a vicious dog.
Hugs
April
Old 04-05-2011, 07:06 PM

I know some of you will think I'm terrible but I have no time for these dogs and I love animals and have had all kinds of dogs. Yes I have seen some nice ones maybe 5 but in my feelings for these dogs I would like to see them all erradicated. There has been so many people and animals attacked and killed by these dogs and in fact my grandson was attacked. Thank God the person got the dog off of him. I would have shot the dog then and there. I had also lived next door to a friend who had rescued one and she was a young dog. Well I had met the dog and she was fine and then one day I was getting stuff together that my friend had bought from me cause I was moving I helped her take it over and the dog came out and greeted me and she was fine even in the house and then I brought something else over and when I went in she was in the other rm and when she came into the living rm she seemed ok but then all of sudden she leaped for my hand to bite me. So take it from there and just watch her in all ways. I'm sorry if I hurt anyones feelings about these dogs but that's just how I feel about them.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

Just had a child here lose her ear bitten off by the grandfathers Pitbull- who was the nicest , sweetest animal prior( according to the owner) they don't know what set him off with the little girl. But you can have that with any bred - just have to be careful with any pet and kids :thumbup:
Old 04-05-2011, 07:25 PM

I would agree to keep an eye on them at all times but they can be gentle dogs. I would never fully trust them as they have such strong jaws one bit and a child is done in! Sad to say but even tho my dads dog was a sweetie I saw her in action playing with a large stick and would not fully trust her around my children' Sje was a puppy raised with a baby but I still never fully trusted her.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM

http://www.realpitbull.com/center.html

Here try here and read up for yourself on the breed :) As Sharon stated, you can have horrible things happen with any breed.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

We just put down our beloved Frankie, my son's dog. He was wonderful and I miss him so much.
Yes, I think they've gotten a bad rap. But they have tremendous jaw strength and throughout his life my son used caution and common sense with him.
Son also told me that you can't get them at a regular shelter(at least not around here). He is currently looking for another and the rules are really strict before they adopt them out.
He got Frankie in California and said it was the same there as here in Columbus.
I wouldn't get one myself b/c my neighbors would probably freak out and I wouldn't want to have any problems. But I loved Frankie to pieces and see now why my son loves them so much. They are wonderful dogs.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:49 AM

we have a rescues pit bul and he is the most wonderful dog.I believe children should be supervised around a new dog as you do not know exactly what it is or isnt used too.You have to get to know the dog and visa versa
Old 04-06-2011, 03:26 AM

I personally would not chance it with my kids. We have had two pit bull attacks in our area and neither were provolked they just attacked. My daughter witnessed one from the bus as they were coming home from school...the dog attacked a jogger and then attacked a child that exited the bus...that was one incident. The second incident was a man walking his dog with his three year old and two pitbulls came up and attacked the other dog. We had a police officer that just happened to be driving through the neighborhood on patrol and he shot both pitbulls.