Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well? >

Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well?

Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Originally Posted by GagaSmith
My DD and family bought a pitbull today. They have 3 kids ages 7-12 and I'm not sure what to think about it. They rescued the dog from a shelter. The original owner is in the military and was sent to Afghanistan, left the dog with his uncle, and the uncle is sick and can't take care of the dog.
My daughter says she is very good with the children, doesn't bark or jump on people when they come in the house, is lovable and cuddles, etc.
I know Rachel Ray has a pitbull and talks about how the dogs have gotten a bad rap but I still don't feel real comfortable about this.
Do you think I have reason to worry.
I would try to get the military owners name and send him a letter explaining how you got his dog. I can't imagine what he is surviving, minute to minute, but to come home and find your best friend gone, is not real fair either. Maybe he could get you a new dog when he comes home in exchange for 'fostering' his dog? Am I just being a 'softie' too much, again?

My DD inquired about this former owner and was told he was informed by his uncle that his dogs (there was another one besides the own my DD took) would be put up for adoption. He was okay with it as long as they went to loving homes. After his tour in Afghanistan he will be sent to a base somewhere and won't be able to take the dogs. The shelter won't give out his name but she is trying to find a way to let him know the dog will be loved and well cared for.
Update: DD learned "Fancy" is scared to death of the vacuum cleaner. She ran to the basement and hid until DD went down to let her know all was okay.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:45 PM

I wouldn`t own any other breed
Old 04-07-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith
My DD and family bought a pitbull today. They have 3 kids ages 7-12 and I'm not sure what to think about it. They rescued the dog from a shelter. The original owner is in the military and was sent to Afghanistan, left the dog with his uncle, and the uncle is sick and can't take care of the dog.
My daughter says she is very good with the children, doesn't bark or jump on people when they come in the house, is lovable and cuddles, etc.
I know Rachel Ray has a pitbull and talks about how the dogs have gotten a bad rap but I still don't feel real comfortable about this.
Do you think I have reason to worry.
Both my daughter and son have pit bulls. I was not comfortable at all with them aqt firs. But, I have to say they are both the sweetest dogs I've ever seen, next to my two German Sheperds of course, they are good with my grandkids and very friendly. They both get along with my dogs and are even put in their place by them. My daughter'ss is still a puppy and get too excited at times and my dogs make him behave. I am still concerned about them getting in fights because of their reputation of not letting so when the grab hold. But, I don't really worry to much about their bad rap any more. It is all in the way they are raised.