Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well? >
  • Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well?

• Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well?

Old 04-06-2011, 09:00 PM

I think it has to do with how they are raised. If they were good to the dog the dog should be happy. But the dog will go after other dogs no doubt about that. Its just in there blood. The children should never grab or pull on tail then he could bite. Just be good to him and he will be good back. But keep away from other dogs.
    Old 04-06-2011, 09:01 PM

I would definitely give the dog a chance. Pit bulls come with a bad reputation and it's unfair. It's how it was raised and trained.

That said, I would definitely not let the children around it alone. At least, not until it gets to know its new "family". Remember, all of you are equally unknown to it as it is to you.

Be cautious but enjoy it.
    Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 PM

I would never be so presumptive to tell a total stranger what they should do, but... Here are my experiences with pit bulls.

1) Three years ago my husband was walking out our front door very early in the AM with our sweet elderly blind Brittany on his leash. Out of the blue our neighbor's two pit bulls that were out running loose came rushing up. With no provocation one of them attacked our dog. While my husband tried to get the pit off our dog the other one attacked him and got him by the back of the head.

When I heard the commotion I ran out to find one pit bull tearing up my dog, who was literally screaming in terror and pain, and the other one chewing on my husband's head. I kicked the dog that was on my husband and it flew off. At that point the other one let go of my dog and went for me. He got hold of my arm and began to tear into it. About then our teenage son came out to help. The dog I had kicked came got back and got my other arm.

I now had two dogs biting me, my dog was nearly dead, and my husband was laying on the ground with a torn open neck and back of the head. Two neighbors came out and helped our son get the dogs off of us. The dogs ran home unscathed.

We all survived - our dog had seven drain tubes in his neck and chest, one earn torn half off, and is now afraid of all dogs! My husband has scars over the back of his head and neck - some that refuse to heal after three years! Both of my arms have red scars near the elbow joint that serve as a daily reminder of the anguish we went through that day.

Our local animal control did nothing about the dogs because no one died. Our neighbor refused to pay a red cent towards the thousands in vet and medical expenses we had to pay.

2) Recently another neighbor came home from church one morning to find a stray pit bull had come into their garage under a slightly open door and killed their cat. The dog was in the garage eating their cat when they opened they door.

3) One of my third grade students recently had his family pet bite him in the arms and hands. He lost two fingernails and had numerous stitches on his hands and arms. He was in so much pain, I nearly cried for him! You guessed it, there family dog is a pit bull...

In my entire life I have never been afraid of dogs, and have never had bad luck with dogs, with one exception. The only breed of dogs I have had personal experience with that have attacked, bitten, and killed are pit bulls. Call these incidents bad karma, bad timing, whatever. I'm just saying no other breed has ever harmed me or anyone I am close to.
    Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pieceful Quilter
    I would never be so presumptive to tell a total stranger what they should do, but... Here are my experiences with pit bulls.

1) Three years ago my husband was walking out our front door very early in the AM with our sweet elderly blind Brittany on his leash. Out of the blue our neighbor's two pit bulls that were out running loose came rushing up. With no provocation one of them attacked our dog. While my husband tried to get the pit off our dog the other one attacked him and got him by the back of the head.
    WoW!

When I heard the commotion I ran out to find one pit bull tearing up my dog, who was literally screaming in terror and pain, and the other one chewing on my husband's head. I kicked the dog that was on my husband and it flew off. At that point the other one let go of my dog and went for me. He got hold of my arm and began to tear into it. About then our teenage son came out to help. The dog I had kicked came got back and got my other arm.

I now had two dogs biting me, my dog was nearly dead, and my husband was laying on the ground with a torn open neck and back of the head. Two neighbors came out and helped our son get the dogs off of us. The dogs ran home unscathed.

We all survived - our dog had seven drain tubes in his neck and chest, one earn torn half off, and is now afraid of all dogs! My husband has scars over the back of his head and neck - some that refuse to heal after three years! Both of my arms have red scars near the elbow joint that serve as a daily reminder of the anguish we went through that day.

Our local animal control did nothing about the dogs because no one died. Our neighbor refused to pay a red cent towards the thousands in vet and medical expenses we had to pay.

2) Recently another neighbor came home from church one morning to find a stray pit bull had come into their garage under a slightly open door and killed their cat. The dog was in the garage eating their cat when they opened they door.

3) One of my third grade students recently had his family pet bite him in the arms and hands. He lost two fingernails and had numerous stitches on his hands and arms. He was in so much pain, I nearly cried for him! You guessed it, there family dog is a pit bull...

In my entire life I have never been afraid of dogs, and have never had bad luck with dogs, with one exception. The only breed of dogs I have had personal experience with that have attacked, bitten, and killed are pit bulls. Call these incidents bad karma, bad timing, whatever. I'm just saying no other breed has ever harmed me or anyone I am close to.
    Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 PM

any dog not properly trained is trouble. My daughter has a staffordshire terrier "pit bull" and she is a sweet heart. She is however a bit stubborn. "Pit bull" is not a breed...all bully breeds are a tad mis-understood...bad dog usually = bad owners
    Old 04-06-2011, 10:09 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
    Pitties can be wonderful pets, and chances are the shelter wouldn't have adopted him out of he had aggression issues. Just remind her, that like all dogs, she should never leave the dog and kid alone together. 90% of kid bites happen when dog and kid are together unsupervised.
    Well said. My son's lives with us and our Chesapeake Retriever. The Staffordshire has the sweetest disposition and just wants to please us. She loves anyone who delivers pizza or ice cream. We don't let her run loose. We have a fence high enough that the neighbors don't have to worry if they are leary of dogs, and I would never leave ANY dog around young children without supervision - double that for a NEW pet situation and children. I hope it all works out. There are so many needing to be loved.
    Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

I'm so sorry that happened to you and your family. That was awful. I have done trauma reports on dog attacks, but have not done one where a Staffordshire attacked. In your case, sounds like the problem was the owner who did not care enough about his neighbors to keep his pets under control and did not care enough about his dogs to keep them from getting into trouble. Again, I am so sorry you had such a terrible thing happen. No one should ever have to go through something like that.
    Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 PM
    Kas

Originally Posted by redhotnana
    My son has had a series of pit bulls, as he prefers them to any other breed (if they have been properly socialized). As a matter of fact, his longest-lived pit, "Arnold" (because as a puppy he looked like the white pig on "Green Acres") was Jeff's best man when he got married! He didn't wear a tux, but he did wear a bow tie! He rode in the limo to the reception, but pouted for a week when he didn't get to go on the honeymoon!
    And, as I just found out after a PM from redhotnana, we are talking about the same Arnold! That is her son Jeff in the yellow shirt in the pic I posted of my Heather with Aime and Emmitt. Arnold was a lover dog who loved having those big muscles on his noggin being massaged! What a very small world it is! And very cool that me and my DH's friend from childhood's mom are on the same board and didn't even know it. Wow!
    Old 04-07-2011, 03:53 AM

What kind of awful neighborhood do you live in?! Bad owners make bad pets, period.

I'd be moving - not because of the dogs, but because of the horrible people. Talk about undesirables - people like that are plain unsafe, whether they have pets or not.
    Old 04-07-2011, 04:51 AM

There is no hard and fast rule. You have to make that call on an individual basis and always remember, they are animals and they sometimes react badly. Just a point to ponder: for several years the number 1 dog bites came from golden retrievers, simply because they are so friendly people let their kids bounce all over them and sometimes they get hurt and react with a bite.

on a personal note, I had a rottweiler and we were out on a walk when a neighbors 2 pitbulls came running and surrounded us and started attacking my dog. I kicked at them and then the owner came running, picked them up by their tails and took them inside, no wonder they were mean. Several years later I had to have her put down because she had been so traumatized by those dogs that she had become more and more aggressive to other dogs. We tried various trainers suggestions and nothing worked. I loved that dog, but sometimes we have to make hard decisions. And for that reason, I do not like pitbulls at all. Nor do I trust them one iota.