Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well? >
  • Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well?

• Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well?

Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 PM

my brother got a pb puppy from a kid at a gas station who said his mom told him to get rid of it or it was going to the pound! (my bro "collects" strays, I swear!) anyway, it acted fine and he put it in a (huge fenced) pen w/ the other strays, 4 of which were also puppies he found a week after she came home w/ him, and he went to work (OTR trucker), I fed the dogs, he was home the next day and she had ripped open the side of 1 puppy and it had died. Sooooooooo, he beat her, and put her on a chain away from everyone, but knew he couldnt leave her like that, so she stays out of the pen w/ an adult dog and when the others are running loose (we have a farm) shes in the pen all alone. Now, I feed them everyday when he trucks and she is the sweetest, lovingest dog you could want, but, you just dont dare turn your back on her. I think she was just jeaalous, and shes a one person dog. if the kids dont get rough w/ the puppy it should pply be ok, but if they think they can maul it and get in its face they might be sorry. sharet
    Old 04-06-2011, 06:07 PM

Thank you all for your input. I met "Fancy" today and she never stopped wagging her tail the entire time I was there. She is about 2 years old and seems very gentle. She just loves being petted and kissed. My 7-year-old DGD went up to her and rubbed her ears and kissed her forehead and she loved it. The people at the shelter said she got along well with all the other dogs. My DGchildren have had friends over all week and she has been fine with them. Doesn't bark or jump on any of them. She is less aggressive than their dalmation who died of old age last month.

I will still have concerns but they have made their decision and i have to respect that.
    Old 04-06-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by arimuse
    my brother got a pb puppy from a kid at a gas station who said his mom told him to get rid of it or it was going to the pound! (my bro "collects" strays, I swear!) anyway, it acted fine and he put it in a (huge fenced) pen w/ the other strays, 4 of which were also puppies he found a week after she came home w/ him, and he went to work (OTR trucker), I fed the dogs, he was home the next day and she had ripped open the side of 1 puppy and it had died. Sooooooooo, he beat her, and put her on a chain away from everyone, but knew he couldnt leave her like that, so she stays out of the pen w/ an adult dog and when the others are running loose (we have a farm) shes in the pen all alone. Now, I feed them everyday when he trucks and she is the sweetest, lovingest dog you could want, but, you just dont dare turn your back on her. I think she was just jeaalous, and shes a one person dog. if the kids dont get rough w/ the puppy it should pply be ok, but if they think they can maul it and get in its face they might be sorry. sharet
    Oh no, PLEASE tell me you or he is looking for a proper home for this dog!! What a horrible way to treat an animal. I hate to be this way about it, but when owners abuse their pets they forfeit the right to complain when the dog decides it has had enough.

Another tip, never leave dogs who are "untried" alone together. Of my four beagles two stay in (separate) crates when we aren't home, one is confined to the kitchen (where the crates are), and the fourth is being left out on a trial basis. She's very mild but also quite new (three weeks) so we're leaving her free in the kitchen only a few hours at a time until we know we can trust her. Safety first - for everyone!!
    Old 04-06-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith
    Thank you all for your input. I met "Fancy" today and she never stopped wagging her tail the entire time I was there. She is about 2 years old and seems very gentle. She just loves being petted and kissed. My 7-year-old DGD went up to her and rubbed her ears and kissed her forehead and she loved it. The people at the shelter said she got along well with all the other dogs. My DGchildren have had friends over all week and she has been fine with them. Doesn't bark or jump on any of them. She is less aggressive than their dalmation who died of old age last month.

I will still have concerns but they have made their decision and i have to respect that.
    Fancy - I LOVE that name! I'm so glad you had a good experience with her. May she always deserve your support. :)
    Old 04-06-2011, 06:45 PM

If you are that worried, pay for the dog to attend obedience school. If you live in the same city, go with the family to see how its doing. Pitties are just like any other dog, it just depends on how they are raised and if you have no idea take it to a vet for temperment testing. Look at the Michael Vick Dogs from Dogtown, they have been rehabed and in homes. Even tho we have Brie, a rescue,(avatar)we took her to meet our grands, I was so surprised when she came up to the 3 year old and rolled over and let Nanas (that is my name for the 3 year old)just pet and lay on her. We were in shock and awe, but kept an eye on her and Brie. The other 2 grands who are 10& 13, romped with her outside and had a blast running with her and her chasing them. There is caution with every dog or cat even, especially around children.
    Old 04-06-2011, 06:56 PM

watch other pets around the Pit too ........we had two dogs here in my small town torn to pieces by two pits who ran loose .... I think they were acting as a pack they killed both dogs ......it was a horriable sight a black lab and a gold lab who never even growled at anyone ....... the Pits are no longer a problem
    Old 04-06-2011, 06:56 PM

All you pit bull owners, lovers good job. You all have done a great job defending our pitties. But I too have to put in my "2 cents". My husband and I "inherited" our Smokie, a blue pit, from our grandson when he was 3 months old. I have to admit, I was wary at first. But guess who cared, bathed,fed and spoiled him. We have never regretted having him. As with any dog, they need to be trained and socialized. As with any dog they need to be introduced to family. Especially the little ones. As with any dog you should "never" leave the little ones alone with a dog, any dog. My Smokie is 2 1/2 yrs old and I still call him my puppy. He good, loving, and the most he can do to you is give you soooo many puppy kisses (licks) that you'll leave with a "soggy" hand. Like they say bad owners, bad dogs. Good responsible owners, good loving dogs.
    It's funny, I joined the board almost a yr ago and have enjoyed the quilts and topics everyday. Quilters you are beautiful people. And I now post to defend our pit bulls.
    Old 04-06-2011, 08:19 PM

My daughter has a pit and it is a big baby and just wants love and attention. I wouldn't worry. If the dog has been treated well in the past it should make a wonderful pet. Good luck.
    Old 04-06-2011, 08:51 PM

My DD and family bought a pitbull today. They have 3 kids ages 7-12 and I'm not sure what to think about it. They rescued the dog from a shelter. The original owner is in the military and was sent to Afghanistan, left the dog with his uncle, and the uncle is sick and can't take care of the dog.
    My daughter says she is very good with the children, doesn't bark or jump on people when they come in the house, is lovable and cuddles, etc.
    I know Rachel Ray has a pitbull and talks about how the dogs have gotten a bad rap but I still don't feel real comfortable about this.
    Do you think I have reason to worry.
    I would try to get the military owners name and send him a letter explaining how you got his dog. I can't imagine what he is surviving, minute to minute, but to come home and find your best friend gone, is not real fair either. Maybe he could get you a new dog when he comes home in exchange for 'fostering' his dog? Am I just being a 'softie' too much, again?
    Old 04-06-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
    My DD and family bought a pitbull today. They have 3 kids ages 7-12 and I'm not sure what to think about it. They rescued the dog from a shelter. The original owner is in the military and was sent to Afghanistan, left the dog with his uncle, and the uncle is sick and can't take care of the dog.
    My daughter says she is very good with the children, doesn't bark or jump on people when they come in the house, is lovable and cuddles, etc.
    I know Rachel Ray has a pitbull and talks about how the dogs have gotten a bad rap but I still don't feel real comfortable about this.
    Do you think I have reason to worry.
    I would try to get the military owners name and send him a letter explaining how you got his dog. I can't imagine what he is surviving, minute to minute, but to come home and find your best friend gone, is not real fair either. Maybe he could get you a new dog when he comes home in exchange for 'fostering' his dog? Am I just being a 'softie' too much, again?
    No! You are not being a 'softie' ! That is an EXCELLENT idea. I am a deployed Soldier that runs an HR department and if I can get a name I will track him/her down and get the word to him. I love my dogs and if I was deployed and not know where my fur babies were I would not be any good for anything. Bless you for thinking of this!