Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/? >

Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

We have a few guild members that don't have a computer and are proud to say they don't want one. Then they complain they are left out of guild's circle because everything is sent by email. I have no patience with them and it's not like they don't have the means to have computer/internet. They think it's silly or say their DH won't let them have one. :roll: Do you think people should be catered to if they reject something as basic as email?
Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 PM

I guess majority rules. As a younger person, I'm much more comfortable with emailing than making phone calls. But when I do anything Church related, most of the people are much older than me and aren't interested in emailing. For me, it's so much easier to send an email to 12 people than to make 12 phone calls. One group I'm involved with even sends post office mail in order to correspond! Since most of the people do it that way, I just go with the flow and try to be flexible.

I don't know if there's one person in the group who can remember to contact the "non-email" folks in the group. Yes, I agree with you, it's frustrating.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 PM

Perhaps they are not saying this but they may be defensive about not having money to afford a computer or email maybe hey are timid of trying it? Although I have (obviously) moved into the 21st century, there are some who have no inclination to do so. I would hope that any quild would be inclusive no matter what method of communication their members choose to use. Our guild mails out information or phones those without email. They are not made to feel they are less of a person or quilter because they have no email. IMO (sorry I got on a soapbox there)
Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 PM

I got my folks an email only device called mailbug. They were well into their 80s when they learned to use it and are still enjoying it at age 93 and 89. It's relatively inexpensive, easy to use and helps them keep in touch.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I not referring to those that don't have the means for computers or internet. These ladies at our guild that refuses to use email, drive Lexus, Caddys, and one has a car and driver (Driving Miss Daisy style.) They reject any reference to computer use. All members are encouraged to use the free library computers and the guild pays for the newsletter to be printed for them at the library. It saves not having to mail the newsletters.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:11 PM

The cost of a computer and internet access really cuts into the fabric budget for those on a fixed income and I wouldn't even bother putting someone on dialup service any more--too many pictures & youtube videos mentioned that no one has the patience to wait for dialup to download.

My mother is afraid of electronics & always has been--even calculators. If a device has much more than an off/on switch; she won't touch it. I have no idea why & my father thinks I need to be at his elbow each & every time he connects to the community wireless or something bad will happen. He can copy his pictures off his camera, scan his old photos into his computer, edit and print collages but the internet completely freaks him out.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:14 PM

I used to teach computer....there are just some people who should never try (usually older). There are times I wish my mother had never got one. She drives me crazy with it. For 10 yrs now I've had to teach her how to write letters, etc.......and that's hard to do long distance!

Yes, I DO believe people should be catered to if you want them to join in! I get irritated when I see ads or news reports that assumes everyone has a computer or a cell phone to text.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:18 PM

I can understand where you are coming from and it is frustrating. That said, there are more people without computers or access to them, than there are with. This crosses all economic and social lines. Some, as stated can't afford it, some don't see the need at their age if they are elderly, some may not have anyone to teach them and hold their hand while they learn. Computers are not exactly user friendly - not as bad as they once were - but by no means easy.

I find it frustrating when companies, Doctors, hospitals and other places assume that everyone has a computer and proceed to eliminate all other means of communication by not listing phone numbers or mailing addresses on literature or statements.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I used to teach computer....there are just some people who should never try (usually older). There are times I wish my mother had never got one. She drives me crazy with it. For 10 yrs now I've had to teach her how to write letters, etc.......and that's hard to do long distance!

Yes, I DO believe people should be catered to if you want them to join in! I get irritated when I see ads or news reports that assumes everyone has a computer or a cell phone to text.
:lol: We must have been writing at the same time. I'm in total agreement with you.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma

My technophobe mother would be the #1 volunteer for any group she chooses so yes--volunteer organizations need to cater to their members. The woman will not stop if you give her a mission.

I would suggest having a few members that will take turns printing out whatever it is the group is doing and then someone like my mother would be more than happy to stuff it in envelopes & mail it, make a dozen phone calls from a landline--a cell phone has too many buttons--or even drive over 3 counties to deliver or pick up people/stuff.