Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/? >

Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

Old 02-06-2011, 01:35 PM

I'm the oldest by about 4 years, but a younger sister is flat out not interested in learning how to "do" a computer. She loves the printouts I give her. And another friend my own age is also not interested in learning, though her husband is a computer nut.

Everybody's different, I just learned to live with it.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:54 PM

Yes, I have a DH like that. He has NO desire to have a email or a cell phone. He wants to talk to people at home not in public and he wants a letter or some kind of paper in his hands. He only uses a computer at work to clock in and out and to look up parts but other than that he doesn't want to use one at all. Everyone just thinks the world revolves around the internet but I know alot of people who do not have a computer, the internet or cell phones. I enjoy the internet and my computer but I also understand where these ladies are coming from. Alot of people are not comfortable with the internet and do not feel it is secure. I know there are things that I do not feel secure about on here and I spend alot of time on here. And I don't think it would be such a inconvience to make a few calls or whatever was needed to make them feel welcome and included.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

My Mom has resisted owning or using a computer. We have offered many times over the years to show her how one works and get her one. She refuses to even sit down in front of one LOL

Some people just don't understand them, and have a really deep seated fear of them too. Others may not have someone that can sit with them as they are trying to learn.
I would have to spend days with someone like my Mom, going over and over and over the basics... and repeat this over each and every new task :D

I don't think it is fair to expect anyone to have to use the internet... There are still things that I will ONLY get through the mail even though I am computer savvy.
Some email never comes through, and I don't always remember to check it daily. When I am away from home, I do not always have internet access.
I still want to hold a book in my hand, not a electronic version... My cell phone is basic, no internet :wink: Just call me old fashioned in some ways :D:D:D
Old 02-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

I can't speak for others but I would go bonkers w/o my laptop!!
However, my recent trip to NY was for my Mom's surgery and even though I brought my laptop I had no desire to use it.
It was nice being away from it to be honest :D
Old 02-06-2011, 02:59 PM

it is just hard to nudge some people in a new direction
Old 02-06-2011, 03:01 PM

Yes...my dad and my FIL...LOL. Neither have a clue, although they both have nice computers...they just don't get it. All my FIL and my step mom do is to send forwards...they don't use it to communicate with people. And, my dad...well...he just refuses to try.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

just because email is a 'basic' in your world does not mean it is for every one...plenty of elderly people do not use computers and have no desire to...why should you think they should spend their money of something they have no desire to use? i think it is terrible of your guild to not offer your newsletter and other news in print form for those who are not computer literate....that seems discriminitory...if you don't have the same technical equipment as (us) then too bad for you- you are not welcome? i am happy to belong to a group who welcomes people who don't even have phones. never really thought about a computer being a manditory item to be a quilter

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
We have a few guild members that don't have a computer and are proud to say they don't want one. Then they complain they are left out of guild's circle because everything is sent by email. I have no patience with them and it's not like they don't have the means to have computer/internet. They think it's silly or say their DH won't let them have one. :roll: Do you think people should be catered to if they reject something as basic as email?
:thumbdown:
Old 02-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

not everyone is in the electronic age, nor wants to be. a simple mailed invitation is not a terrible thing to do for a fellow quilter. I tried and tried to get my granddtrs to learn how to write letters, to no avail. not everything in life is done on computers. whether people believe that or not.
i'm sure not all guilds would want to go to the "trouble" to do written invites and that's sad. post cards would work and don't cost much.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:23 PM

I love my email and Facebook is even becoming an easier and quicker way to reach me. That said however, I gotta say I miss my paper newsletters and such from groups. I just like having that paper in my hands I think. I've gotten use to now printing off that kind of electronic sent stuff. I don't think I'll ever be able to go electronic on books or magazines though. Just can't see it lol

I can see though where older people aren't interested though. I think eventually though we'll be very, very, very paperless. Does that make sense?

While my MIL is very computer savy - my FIL will not go near a computer nor will he talk on a cell phone. He'll never do it. He's 75.

I have some family members who aren't up to speed on the internet. Some of them even have it but they just aren't into it. Frustrates me only because it's so much easier to keep in touch, share stories, pictures, life, etc....
Old 02-06-2011, 03:37 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

My father, at 85 years old, did several months of research, chose a laptop he wanted, drove himself to Best Buy, bought it and set it up almost without aid. He now knows almost more about certain programs than I do after 20 years on the internet!

It's NEVER too late! Then again, there are those who seem determined to dig their row with a stick/hoe rather than a tiller because it's more "organic"; or handpiece their blocks rather than machine sew, claiming it's the "proper way". One has to ask, does their tomato taste better or their quilt look prettier than mine?

No, maybe not even different.

Snail mail the newsletters to those members; we do.
Jan in VA