Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/? >
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

• Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:34 PM

No one has the time to send out individual mailings to everyone

How sad, no one has the time,,,,because everyone is sooooo busy. Seems it is that way everywhere anymore doesn't it? No one has time to make a phone call so the person on the other end might hear a friendly voice for the first time that day....no one has time to send a note to someone who never gets much mail....in this modern day and age where everything is supposed to be so easy and time saving....we don't have the time!!! How sad!!!
    Old 02-07-2011, 12:53 AM

I have friends who see no need for email and internet. Their families live nearby and they prefer telephone calls or texts to email anyway. I get birthday cards from them instead of emails which is lovely.

I suspect they also get a lot more done in their daily lives than I manage, too. I know some people can use the internet occasionally but others like me end up addicted to it which is also bad. If you'd seen me during the week it took to get my dead router replaced you'd have thought the world had ended!
    Old 02-07-2011, 02:24 AM

Yes
    Some people can't afford the internet.
    Old 02-07-2011, 02:42 AM

I believe there should be another means other than e-mail for people. Even though I rely on a computer and internet for my living I don't believe it should be the only way people communicate. Also, there may be a medical condition why people don't use them. My MIL is 85, has had 3 strokes and 1 heart attack. The stroke damaged the part of her brain that can comprehend technical stuff. She can run a remote control but that is about it. If she gets an answering machine when calling someone she thinks it is a "live" person and cannot understand why they don't answer her when she starts talking. No amount of explaining can get her to comprehend.

So, in summary, I don't think people should be excluded just because they don't have the "in" thing.
    Old 02-07-2011, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by trisha
    No one has the time to send out individual mailings to everyone

How sad, no one has the time,,,,because everyone is sooooo busy. Seems it is that way everywhere anymore doesn't it? No one has time to make a phone call so the person on the other end might hear a friendly voice for the first time that day....no one has time to send a note to someone who never gets much mail....in this modern day and age where everything is supposed to be so easy and time saving....we don't have the time!!! How sad!!!
    Agree!
    Old 02-07-2011, 03:40 AM

..don't know about the catered to bit - but the 'net sure makes it easier for all to keep in touch.
    I do know of one group that decided announcements would be all done thru the 'net/email...and those who didn't have a computer would have to pay for postage and hopefully someone would volunteer to get the announcements out via snail mail. Within months, everyone in the group had access to a computer.....(grin).
    Old 02-07-2011, 04:09 AM

i have friend,actually a few of my quilter friends, do not have a computer..and they don't want one.i am sure they can afford one too. i never gave it a second thought really.
    i just pick up the phone and let them know any news they need to know reguarding our quilt get togethers. no big deal for me.

My daughter uses computers at work, and has no desire to get on it when she gets home at night..
    Old 02-07-2011, 05:08 AM

We have several older people in our guild that do not have internet. We have a "calling tree" where people close to them relay any messages by phone. It works well for us. I know younger people loose patience with older folks, but hey, have a bit of compassion. It only takes a few minutes to pass a message on. (People volunteer to be on the calling tree) You never know how we will feel when we are older and maybe the younger people will have back pack helicopters for transportation and the older people will still prefer to walk. (although I might be convinced to try the helicopter)grin.
    Old 02-07-2011, 05:57 AM

yep and they are very verbal about it.."how come you can spend so much time on that????" with a sneer LOL
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:01 AM

Wheter to have a computer is a personal choice. Saying that, those who don't have them should not complain.... they can always find a friend who will share the great knowledge learned here. I am 65 and would be REALLY upset when my computer is on the blitz. Each of us knows what we can and cannot do. Let's be understanding of each others choices.