Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/? >
  • Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

• Do you know people that have no idea about email/internet/?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:03 AM

We have given my MIL several computers over the years...she learned how to use a program to make greeting cards and she plays games...that's it. She will not hear of getting internet service. If she wants to look up something or design a quilt she comes to my house so I can help her.
    We gave my mom a laptop and she got internet service for herself. She banks and keeps track of her retirement and investments online. Guess it just depends on the person!
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:08 AM

This is a tough call...There is so many "links" & interesting sites out there in this world that I would never get to know without my computer (especially all you wonderful quilting friends). However for my folks that are hard of hearing on the phone & miss understand the whole conversation...I wish they had a computer that they could @ least read an email and get the conversation correctly.
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 AM

I couldn't never imagine my mother with a computer...she would never have got it and been nothing but frustrated LOL, loved talking to her on the phone tho...I know people who communication is dead and nobody writes letters anymore. I still send cards and hate the ones on email..." you have a card blah blah from blah blah...not going that far
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:44 AM

I think the reason they aren't interested is because when pc's started on the home front they were so hard to use, I don't think they realize how easy computers are to use these days
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 AM

Here's a suggestion. If all parties agree, the computer-less persons could provide self addressed stamped envelopes (cheaper than a computer & internet access) and printed copies of the information that is e-mailed could be sent to them via USPS. Cost of paper/ink could be put into the negotiations as well.
    Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
    Perhaps they are not saying this but they may be defensive about not having money to afford a computer or email maybe hey are timid of trying it? Although I have (obviously) moved into the 21st century, there are some who have no inclination to do so. I would hope that any quild would be inclusive no matter what method of communication their members choose to use. Our guild mails out information or phones those without email. They are not made to feel they are less of a person or quilter because they have no email. IMO (sorry I got on a soapbox there)
    I agree with you. I was one of those,scared of the computer. Didn't have one until the yr. 2000. I was a Paraprofessional for 15 yrs. The computers in our school were only the Dos, with math learning games. I could turn them off and on. Had a chance to be something other than an assistant in the classroom. Being an assistant to the Librarian. Had to pass a typing test. Went to the local Tech. School to get my typing skills up so I could pass the test. WEEELLL The typing class was actually a computer class for WORD 6.0 Went 2 times, felt like I was holding all those young people back and quit. Instructor tried to talk me back wouldnt go. Just so scary what they were doing as I had no idea what was going on. My DD gave me an old office computer with windows 95 had microsoft office and others. She said you will not get lost,ruin the computer or get hurt. :lol: :lol: :lol: I could take that thing apart and put it back together.
    Had another chance to get out of the classroom, as the asssistant to the Science Teacher,Went back to West Tech. Learned a lot. got that positon.
    Now computer is taught at most schools in kindergarten or 1st grade. They can key super fast by the time they are 3rd graders. Tech. has grown so fast and unless you are exposied to it,that can be kinda scary.
    I know this is a little long but not everybody can afford a computer, internet so maybe someone in the guild could let the none computer owners know abt. plans for the guild. What does it hurt :?: My own personal thoughts.. BillsBonBon
    Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 AM

While I love my pc and wouldn't want to do without it I think it's a shame that business have changed everything to computerized. We should have a choice. I find alot of things on the internet that I would like to have but it's internet only, which in my opinion is limiting your customer base. A simple printable order form and address would be nice.
    Old 02-07-2011, 07:48 AM

Some people are just not equipped to handle all that technology. In our guild, we make personal phone calls to members who don't have computers and they are grateful for the personal contact. I love my computer but believe the art of communication has gone down the tubes when people actually talked to each other. I want ENGLISH communication, not "r u having a gd day tday?"

I have a cell phone but hate it. I don't want to be reached in my car or when I'm shopping so only my family has the number. I want my alone time and my four daughters know better than to call me with trivia. The only time I use it is to signal my husband with "done" at my LQS so he knows when to pick me up if we are out together. I can always get a message when I get home. They are all into "i this" and "droid that" and I don't care if I ever find out what that means. Seriously, tell me who doesn't love getting a handwritten letter from someone in the mailbox?
    Old 02-07-2011, 07:51 AM

I have had and used a computer since 1995. I am now 64 years old and my friends and family call me when something goes wrong with theirs. I can download and back up their data, erase their hard drive, re-install factory defaults, and up-load their data to an almost new computer. I have never had a class in my life, but just like a new quilting pattern.... you choose what you want to learn to do, then learn to do it! Its all up to you!

I have a desk top, lap top, a PDA and a smart phone. And I use them all!
    Old 02-07-2011, 07:59 AM

Yes, I do understand these people. My Dad was one of them. The internet actually scared him. He did not grow up in the technology age and all this technology made him feel stupid, because he didn't understand it. It was actually a matter of pride. My nephew spent a lot of time with him and we got him a computer and cell phone. It took awhile for my nephew to teach him, but now he uses it all the time.
    Please do not be hard on these ladies, this technology might also frighten them. Their steadfast refusal might be a way of hiding that they are afraid of it.