Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you take your dogs for walks? & If so how far? >

Do you take your dogs for walks? & If so how far?

Do you take your dogs for walks? & If so how far?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Google Goddess

Do you take your dogs for walks?
What kind of dogs do you have? How Many? We walk about 1/2 mile at a time and make 2 trips during the day if the weather is nice.

yes, Shih Tzu, 1 dog (and he is spoiled rotten)

I have a shih tzu dog will be 7 years old April 22, 2010 and he loves to go for walks.

If you say the words to him do you want to go for a walk he gots all excited and starts barking if you don't go get your shoes on at that time.

We just got back from 1/2 mile walk (brrr, windy and cold in Indiana but the sun was out). We live in the country so we walk behind our house to get to the side road.

I need to figure out what to do so he doesn't walk ahead of us and pulls on his leash, any suggestions. I was thinking of getting a choker chain or a harness for him. My shoulder is so sore from him pulling on the leash. When we get back to our yard he is fine, I guess he likes the side ditch and road.

When we got back my shoes were muddy so I carried him to the tub to rinse his paws off. Also use the hair dryer.

Yes he is spoiled!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:44 PM

My dh takes our dogs for walks sometimes. I don't like walking them because they pull, esp. the 70 pound lab. I'd like for them to go for more walks but without a better way (harness or pinch collar), it's not happening.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 PM

Hi Craftybear, yes, I walk my dog twice a day; I have a Greyhound,(used to have 2, other one was a retired champion); she never raced, she was too timid for the track. We only do 1 or 2 miles at a time, mostly because she had a stroke 3 years ago, and hasn't been the same since, poor baby.
You can train that little dog of yours to not pull; you need to keep some sort of snack, whatever he can't resist. very small peices. you start by letting him know you have the snack. once you have his attention... you reward him. then, as you walk, you keep him on whatever side you want to walk him on... make sure you have his attention, praise him, give him the snack immediately, as you start to walk, say his name, give him the snack, he'll make the connection pretty quick, if he pulls stop, have him sit, give the snack. always rewarding the good behavior. it doesn't happen over night, but it will happen, do that 1 or 2 times a day, every day. Before you know it your dog will walk so nice.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:55 PM

We walk the dogs (two beagles) as often as we can. Not every day, but usually 4 or 5 times a week. I always wonder what those other people do to their dogs so that they walk nicely beside them! We usually get about a mile in, and pull until the last little bit. We have them in harnesses, because the choke collars were giving them breathing problems. When I had boxers, they were more responsive to corrections when they pulled. The beagles just wonder why I pulled back. Oh and with the harness, one of the beagles thinks she's pulling a sled and does that strange hop pull thing. It's really funny to watch if you're not the one with the leash.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:01 PM

Oh, yeah! a Beagle's got places to go! I used to have a beagle hound mix, man I'm surprised that dog reccognized anyone! He never took his nose off the ground when he was off leash! I used the same training technique with him in the 70's my Lab in the 80's. A dog only wants to eat, and make the Alpha ( you) happy.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:06 PM

I read that you have to keep their heads up so they aren't sniffing the gound in order to have them
walk beside you.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:20 PM

DH walks our minature Goldendoodle twice a day and he is outside a lot too. We do not use a lease in our yard - he usually won't leave our sight and that is nice. But we do live in a very protected area - lots of woods and hardly any traffic. He does enjoy chasing squirrels in the woods.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:47 PM

No, but I should. We all need the exercise!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 03-26-2010, 03:44 PM

Up to 45 minutes in a fast stroll for one dog. Up to five minutes stroll for the other dog (carried the rest of the time).

Two Chihuahuas with leg problems. One recently post op.

Edit: Always leashed. This being a college area, there are a lot of off leash dogs who attack. At least I have control of mine. And, I'm obeying the law.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:16 PM

Our 3 get 3 walks per day. Dh does morning walk, usually 4 - 6 miles and the afternoon walk of about 2 miles. DDs get the evening walk of about 2 miles. I walk with whomever I want to and usually have the old man - our 15 yr old Husky. Dh has trained them so none pull but occasionally they do lag behind which is also annoying.