Does anyone else do this?

Old 07-16-2015, 08:19 AM

Oooopps! I thought it was just me that did that.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:28 AM

I used to tend to count things by sevens. Finally traced it back to when i used to set the table and there were 7 place settings.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:17 AM

I don't count, but I break down words into 3 letter increments, like quilting board would be qui lti ngb oar d, and just keep going with more words! What does that make me?! An idiot probably!
Old 07-16-2015, 12:01 PM

Counting is often a way to manage anxiety. It keeps the mind occupied thereby warding off other thoughts.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:49 PM

Ahhhh....OCD creepin' in. I count everything!!! until I catch myself and then I move on. I have certain routines, like putting on underarm deodorant, that require a certain number of steps...I guess b.o disappears after 7 strokes of deodorant. I don't know why 7, but it's not 6 and it's not 8, it's 7. I have other OCD symptoms....but I do my best to ignore them without stressing over them.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:42 PM

I don't count the stitches but I find myself counting the cut pieces for a quilt too many times. If I need 144 pieces, I may count my 12 per stack several times.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:46 PM

I also count everything. Yes, it is probably OCD, but it helps me when I am having an MRI, Catscan, I just start counting and it takes my mind off what is going on.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
I have had this annoying habit forever. When my first child was born, my landlady had a "spin -dryer" washer. You put the clothes in the washer, they wash, then you put them in a little cylindrical tube and it spins the water out, then you put the clothes back in the washer to rinse, and then back to the spin.. you get the picture? Well, I had to count the diapers into the washer, into the spin, into the washer, into the spin, and he had tender skin so I had an extra rinse for Dia-soft, so into the washer for that and into the spin. Then that wasn't enough, I had to count them as I hung them on the line to dry, and off to the basket, when done and then as I folded them, or piled up the Dexters,( shaped diaper). So, I often to this day catch myself counting something or other, but haven't started on the needle ups and downs, oh my!
So, Kate's Nana, what causes a person to do this? Inquiring minds want to know.
Oh, MY! You made yourself way more work than was necessary. I have had 4 of the spin-dryers and loved them. But you don't have to take the clothes out of the spinner to rinse them. While it is spinning at first, the wash water is spun out and goes back into the machine for the next load. Then you turn on the rinse water and turn the faucet so that it drains into the sink. When the rinse water runs clear, turn off the water and the clothes spin dry. Too often, I would leave the faucet over the machine too long while it was rinsing, and the wash tub got too full and the water ran down inside the agitator into the motor. Hence 4 machines!

And I am a counter, also. I don't count stitches, but I count people in church, chairs at a banquet, cups in a row, socks hanging on the line, houses on a block, crazy stuff like that.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:49 PM

I do this walking and exercising--can't have the left side doing more than the right--I haven't counted the needle going up and down though--hard to do when it is going so fast--I guess I do count when do the fix that makes like a little knot at end of a seam.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:57 PM

I'm glad I started this thread.. I knew I did it and thought it was just me that had developed an unusual habit.im normal yippee.