Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Does anyone else do this?

I don't count the stitches but I find myself counting the cut pieces for a quilt too many times. If I need 144 pieces, I may count my 12 per stack several times.

I also count everything. Yes, it is probably OCD, but it helps me when I am having an MRI, Catscan, I just start counting and it takes my mind off what is going on.
    Aronel aka Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
    I have had this annoying habit forever. When my first child was born, my landlady had a "spin -dryer" washer. You put the clothes in the washer, they wash, then you put them in a little cylindrical tube and it spins the water out, then you put the clothes back in the washer to rinse, and then back to the spin.. you get the picture? Well, I had to count the diapers into the washer, into the spin, into the washer, into the spin, and he had tender skin so I had an extra rinse for Dia-soft, so into the washer for that and into the spin. Then that wasn't enough, I had to count them as I hung them on the line to dry, and off to the basket, when done and then as I folded them, or piled up the Dexters,( shaped diaper). So, I often to this day catch myself counting something or other, but haven't started on the needle ups and downs, oh my!
    So, Kate's Nana, what causes a person to do this? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Oh, MY! You made yourself way more work than was necessary. I have had 4 of the spin-dryers and loved them. But you don't have to take the clothes out of the spinner to rinse them. While it is spinning at first, the wash water is spun out and goes back into the machine for the next load. Then you turn on the rinse water and turn the faucet so that it drains into the sink. When the rinse water runs clear, turn off the water and the clothes spin dry. Too often, I would leave the faucet over the machine too long while it was rinsing, and the wash tub got too full and the water ran down inside the agitator into the motor. Hence 4 machines!

And I am a counter, also. I don't count stitches, but I count people in church, chairs at a banquet, cups in a row, socks hanging on the line, houses on a block, crazy stuff like that.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I do this walking and exercising--can't have the left side doing more than the right--I haven't counted the needle going up and down though--hard to do when it is going so fast--I guess I do count when do the fix that makes like a little knot at end of a seam.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad I started this thread.. I knew I did it and thought it was just me that had developed an unusual habit.im normal yippee.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I worked with a woman who could count syllables. We could read several paragraphs to her and she would know exactly how many syllables were in the wording. Finally we got tired of checking her results which took forever and just called her "Rain Man". She said she didn't have to consciously count them, she just knew. Still amazes me!

..ok couldn't pass this one up........the only thing I count is money......and the number is always too low!!!!!

I'm so glad this topic came up. I thought I was goofy because I count so many things. It's nice to know that other people do this too! I'm not alone!!!!!

I started counting steps and other things as a kid, I thought it was just out of boredom, maybe not?? but now I don't feel so foolish since so many of you count also...
    Freedom to speak is a gift ;please don't take it from us..

I do count a lot of things, but not the needle.

Have done it a couple of times then I ask myself WHY! don't do it any more lol

Blog Entries
    I don't count, but, I write everything on my hand, leg, or the armchair rest, IN SHORTHAND! I took shorthand in school, but never used it in my work days, so I use it now.LOL

It is an OCD behavior.

I nearly always find myself counting stair steps. I have no idea why.

I don't count the needle...probably will now, but I do seem to always be counting in my head. What does this say about us counter!

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    I find I use counting to help me tackle the big jobs. When I look out at the deck with a freshly fallen 18" of snow I could get overwhelmed and not even want to start, but once I get out there I map out a section to estimate and challenge myself to clear it in, say, 30 shovelfulls. Before I know it, the job is done. I guess I started doing this in college when I'd come home for the weekend and have to shovel out the horse stall that my little sister had ignored all week.

Blog Entries
    I don't because I was taught along time ago that if you want to sew straight and have fewer mistakes, you don't watch the needle, watch the side of pressure foot and/or fabric to keep it right.
    Judy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2