Freshen and old trunk?

Old 12-19-2015, 08:10 AM

Default Freshen and old trunk?

I have a huge old trunk that would be perfect for storing my quilt creations. But it of course has an "old" smell. Doe anyone have a great idea as to how to freshen up the smell or remove the smell?
Old 12-19-2015, 08:47 AM

*** Some times just adding a open bar bar soap will work.
*** It works to keep you undies drawer smell fresh.
*** Also soap that is left unwrapped will harden and last longer when used for baths.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:01 AM

Put a box of baking soda in it for a month or two or leave it in there indefinitely(replace once in a while). Arm and Hammer has a box for the fridge that has cut outs in the sides of the box with fabric that holds the baking soda from falling from the box.
Or you could get some small cedar pieces to put in there.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:48 AM

Newspaper and charcoal if you can find the brickettes without lighter fluid.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:26 AM

Fresh ground coffee in a pan will absorb the old odor.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

I know my Great Aunt stored chicken feed in her husband's truck after he died, but I wouldn't store any quilts in a truck especially if there is an odor. There is a cause for the odor and until you can resolve that, I wouldn't store the quilts there.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:48 AM

Lots of great ideas, Thank y'all. I will give them a try.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:08 AM

sunshine! open it up and leave it outside for a day or so. or even open in the garage if outside isn't possible. Then close it up with crumpled newspapers in it and let it sit for a few more days. I did this with a horrible sewing machine case this past summer and it's good as new still all these months later!
Old 12-20-2015, 10:50 AM

I've been told that a trunk was often the only sturdy, close-able box people had. They were used to carry food to church dinners and family reunions. This caused insect problems, so people put moth balls or camphor inside. They had to take eating utensils, too. My mother's special childhood job was to tie a thread on each fork and spoon, to identify them after the meal.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I had a featherweight case that had the dreaded musty smell. Tried many suggestions for getting rid of it. Soap and laundry softener sheets were two of the worst recommendations, as they simply added cheap perfume overlays to the musty smell. Leaving it open outside in the sun for a day did nothing. What finally worked for me was placing a couple of Dr. Scholl's charcoal OdorEaters inside the case and leaving it closed for a month. Worked perfectly. After that I just kept one of the OdorEaters inside the case with the machine to add cushioning and make sure the musty odor wouldn't come back. It's been many years, and the case still smells fresh.

What I liked about the OdorEaters is that the charcoal is contained so I didn't have to worry about cleaning up spilled charcoal. Although you could use loose charcoal, there's the possibility of having to clean up a mess afterward. For a large trunk what I would do is go to a hardware store and ask for charcoal filter material (used in air cleaners, air conditioners, etc. to filter air and also to filter water). I think it is sold in rolls. This would probably be cheaper than OdorEaters and just as effective. My best guess is to leave the trunk closed up with the charcoal inside for at least 2 weeks.