Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A Funny Holiday Memory You'll Never Forget! >

A Funny Holiday Memory You'll Never Forget!

A Funny Holiday Memory You'll Never Forget!

Old 11-24-2014, 03:59 PM

What fun these have been to read. I will keep reading them as long as more fun times keep being added!

One of my favorite Christmases took several years to finally get there.. We always let our kids write up their Christmas wish list. For years they had a bicycle listed right up on top of the list. But we had very little money, we were living on the GI Bill, I stayed home with the kids and my husband went to collage full time. Most gifts were socks, underwear, and jammies. Their big treat was they each got a bag of potato chips, something I never bought at the grocery store.

Every year when they opened their gifts they always asked if they got a bike... Their Dad always answered by asking them if they had looked in the garage.. They would jump up and fly out to the garage, but there never was a bike.. I would be so angry at him for doing that I could hardly finish Christmas Day. He was a great Dad, but he just always did that and every year they were disappointed and I was so mad I was nearly sick.

Then came the year that we finally could afford to buy them their bikes.. Same old story, gifts are opened and my son asks, no bike?? And my husband says "did you look in the garage?". No. No one even moved, finally he says, you really ought to go look, don't you think?? No. After a few more proddings our daughter gets up and slowly walks that way.. Her comment was " I know there is no bike, you just want me to go look".

She gets out there, opens up the big door, and let's out this big scream... Matt, come look.. He just looks at us like, yeah right, now she's in on the big joke! She came back in and tried to drag him out, yelling the whole way, Come look, come look!!

Finally, my DS drug himself out there and when he saw the bikes they were both started screaming and jumping like they had just been given a million dollars! It was the funniest thing ever. They ran around the house, they jumped up and down some more, they were so excited they forgot to get the bikes out and ride them.

While I've never thought it was funny to play tricks on kids, I have to admit that my husband set that Christmas up in a way neither of us could have managed if we had tried to do it on purpose. They still laugh about that Christmas!

Merry Christmas everyone, I wish you all a blessed day.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:28 PM

When my son was little, he would always tell his Dad what we'd gotten him for Christmas. The year he was six, I threatened him with life and limb if he told him again. Next morning at breakfast, he looked at my DH and said," I'm not telling you we got you some shirts so don't even ask me what your present is!" What do you do?? I still laugh about it!