Girl hunters

Old 12-06-2010, 01:24 AM

Two of my grand daughters got deers this year - all on same day as dad!!!

The oldest grand daughter - Em got hers first she is 14!! she was accompanied by her step dad - (more like dad than stepdad) He has taught the girls everything they know about outdoor stuff. He treats her just like his own - of course it helps that she likes to do fence mending and feeding livestock lol

Then Cassidy age 8 went out with dad and she got one - it was so funny to hear her tell it lol she apparently shot it in the leg but it wasnt running - her dad shot it again "to put it out of misery" - She was still very happy and we accredited the kill to her.

Not to outdone Dad had to get one too but his was last and the smallest of the bunch lol

Deer sausage and jerky for winter - also deer steaks!!! pretty cheap eating for them - glad they like it - my daughter makes it into all kinds of things - uses the ground up deer aliong with hamburger to make chili taco and even hamburger helper!!!

I am so glad the grand kids enjoy doing the outside stuff and arent always sitting in fromt of computer or gaming systems!!!
When not hunting they are tending to cows and their horses. Its nothing for them to saddle up on a nice day and go on trail rides as a family - I am proud of them - my other daughter and her two children often participate also. the youngest who is under two usually stays with us though - he loves to be around horses though - they have a little minature pony and cart - he gets to ride in their front yard in the cart - glad to see them all together and enjoying the outdoors!!! I dont get in on it but enjoy watching from the front porch in my chair lol
Old 12-06-2010, 03:21 AM
Banned

I am a woman and my dad took me hunting. I loved spending time with him so I am very happy for thr girls.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

I think its wonderful!. We were raised in a hunting family!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:43 AM

I don't hunt, but I live in the country and understand hunting and hunters. (Plus I would like fewer deer eating my garden!) However, I always wonder, when you kill the deer, and you are happy you got it, is there any moment, however small, when you feel regret that you caused it to die? I never hear hunters talk about this if they do. I figure I might get a better chance at an answer with "lady hunters" than with the hunters I know who are all men.

Please don't get me wrong, I am NOT against hunting, I just feel that if I did it, there would be a moment when I saw the deer as a beautiful, living creature and feel regret that I had to kill it.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:48 AM

I dislike hunting all the way around, and I wonder what did that POOR animal ever do to deserve getting shot, left in pain till they were killed/killed outright. Which was here first? The animals were, we as humans ran off the natural preditors and now have an over population of certain animals.
Just so we humans could build houses in woods etc.
Sad really.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:22 AM

Just about a week ago this happened while a man was out hunting with his two YOUNG kids. He took his 7 and I believe the article in the paper said 10 year old out to hunt. The 7 year old is now DEAD! He was shot by his older brother as he ran into the line of fire while brother was trying to bag that all important deer.
The younger one had shot at an animal with a pellet gun and missed. The older brother had a shotgun.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:32 AM

When I hunt there may be a second of simpathy for the deer, but then I remember that if populations are not controlled that these same animals will suffer from starvation, the preditor population will increase, bringing danger not only to the deer but children and pets as well. There is greater chance of the deer being hit by cars along roadways as their population increases. Unless you are vegan, what did the cattle (beef) chicken, pork (pig) fish or anyother meat that you buy in the store ever do to deserve ending up on your plate.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I grew up around hunting and I was taught to respect firearms and the rules even though I did not hunt as a young girl because I had the young girl brain to think how sad and awful. As I matured I realized that responsible hunting was needed in rural areas. The animals would over populate, be diseased and starve. Hunting is very controlled in the hunting season. It's not an all out go kill what you can. Young children without proper firearm safety and hunter education should never be in a hunting situation and never would be allowed to hunt without knowing in a legal hunting camp.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:45 AM

Grats on the new hunters! I didn't grow up doing that, but I do enjoy it and support other hunters.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 AM

That is so cool that their stepdad is doing stuff with the girls. It sounds like he did the smart thing and take them out one at a time at their ages. Hopefully they had or will have a gun safety class. Its good to have a respect for what a gun can do and to learn that you don't kill to kill for fun but rather for food. I feel responsible hunting is more humane than leaving something overpopulate, get deseases and die slowly not to mention other animals getting sick from eating the deseased animal.