Got laid off today...

Old 09-28-2010, 06:01 PM

I was working there for 3 years and business just got really slow due to the economy, so I was the first of 3 people who were getting laid off. :( Didn't see it coming at all. Still in shock. Basically feels like my world has been shattered. I loved my job and couldn't see me working anywhere else. Timing is really bad money wise for me and my hubby right now. Not sure how we are going to get through this with having just bought a new car and are going on vacation for a week in 6 days. The good news is I am elligable for unemployment. But the thought of interviewing and sending off resumes again sickens me. Anyone else going or has gone through this before? How did you do it? :cry:
Old 09-28-2010, 06:09 PM

I'm sorry you are going through this. Good luck with finding a new job. I went back to work last year after 10 years and it was scary looking for a job. Don't get too discouraged, something good will turn up.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:13 PM

Been there done that...it's a miserable place to be.
Good luck.
Word of advice... relax and enjoy your vacation... then you can focus on your job search.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:20 PM

Sorry to hear about the loss of your job. Hopefully another position will open up to you that will be even better. Hang in there, it will get better! :)
Old 09-28-2010, 06:23 PM

So sorry to hear this. Chin up and face the world--another job will be there before you know it. Enjoy the vacation then look "pound the pavement".
Old 09-28-2010, 06:26 PM

Yes, I too have been there done that! For me, it ended up being a blessing, I landed a much better job! I agree with a previous poster, go enjoy your vacation. Start your resume tommorrow, get it ready and start you hunt when you come back from vacation all refreshed.
I know it's a scary time for you but use it as an opportunity to make a positive change.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:29 PM

So sorry this had to happen to you. My eldest DD's fiance just went back to work after 7 months on lay off...and he wasn't eligible for unemployment benefits either.

I agree with the others. Go on your vacation and enjoy yourself...then you will be fresh to start a job search. Having unemployment will give you a little breathing space to find something that you like and can see yourself doing for a long time.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:39 PM

thanks for all the positive responses. the good news is the vacation is already paid for. hubby is being very supportive! I am trying to think positive.. it's just so hard when your world is turned upside down.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

HUGS! Yes, it happened to me in July. Been hard, did find a part time job, for minimum wage!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by diogirl
thanks for all the positive responses. the good news is the vacation is already paid for. hubby is being very supportive! I am trying to think positive.. it's just so hard when your world is turned upside down.
Oh have been there and done that! Was sa single mother of two young children, bought a new truck and came in on a friday, at the end of the day, was laid off, thankfully was with a very supportive person, was only off work for two weeks, started a new job at $3.00 more an hour (but no benefits). Worked there for three years and then landed my current position which now I make $20 more an hour than I did at the place I was laid off.

Keep positive, go and enjoy your vacation, lean on DH for your support and then when you get back, you can hit the job market refreshed and relaxed (nothing states desperation more than stressed out). Not a good appearance when you are interviewing.

Good luck and know we here also can be supportive to you.