grandparents rights

Old 09-21-2010, 01:57 AM

This has got to be the news every grandparent does NOT want to hear --- I have 2 grandsons that have lived with me and their mother for most of their lives ( ages 6 and 4). She recently married, someone I consider a total bum, and now she informs me that the oldest is going to stay with his father - who I get along well with --- but her and the youngest are moving back to her new husband's town which is almost clear across the country.
I am on disability so the likelyhood of me ever travel there is slim and since he refuses to work and her work here (don't know that she will be able to find a job there) is the only income I don't see them ever having the money to come back.
There should be something a grandparent could do. Just yesterday the grandson told me "I want to live with you." And when his mother came to get him after work he put up a real fight to stay at Ma's (that is what he has always called me).
This news has me so upset all I have done since she told me yesterday about 1:30 pm is cry not only because I am going to miss the grandson and her - but am very concerned about what kind of a life they are going to have. My oldest daughter heard and saw the guy she married threaten her with a pick ax a couple of years ago - when any thing is said the reply is they were just joking.
It may take all of my disabilty excess for this month (I have a sash of some groceries and I just will have to cut back my going anywhere) to pay a lawyer to find out what I can do if anything.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:05 AM

I am so sorry, for you and for the children. I hope there is something that can be done. I am on disability, too, or I would help you out. My prayers are with you and them.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:10 AM

I feel for you..i don't know what i would do if my grandkids now moved away. I have heard that some states do have "grandparent's rights" laws. Maybe yours has something like that. I wish you the best with this very hard situation :cry:
Old 09-21-2010, 02:13 AM

I am hoping to get some things ready for a craft show - now I know wher all of that money will be going -- I do think my oldest daughter will help me make some things --- she is about as upset as I am
Thanks for your prayers - sometimes that is all that will work

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
I am so sorry, for you and for the children. I hope there is something that can be done. I am on disability, too, or I would help you out. My prayers are with you and them.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:23 AM

I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. We have grandkids who live in Western Australia and we live in Brisbane on the east coast. There is no animosity involved but we don't see them a lot.
I know here there is such a thing as grandparents rights. I told a friend who was being denied access to one of her grand children, she saw a solicitor and now sees her granddaughter. I wish you well.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:21 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I'm so sorry. What a hard, hard situation!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:30 AM

As grandparents, we really don't have rights, and I've never understood the reasoning for that. Some of these children have spent as much or more time with us as with their parents. The father in this case does have rights. He can fight letting her take his child out of the state they live in. The state where the divorce takes place has jurisdiction over the child. Normally the courts go with the mom, if her new husband HAS to move because of a job transfer. This doesn"T seem to apply to your situation. Whatever is your daughter thinking??? No job, refuses to work, leaving one child behind, and quitting her job????? She is not thinking straight! If she isn"T listening to reason, talk to the fahter, get him to help fight this. Doesn't she realize what this is going to do to both kids? And if that person even thought of raising a pick ax to her , even in a joking manner, she should be scared to death of him. For hersellf and her child! If she can find a job, wil he be watching the child while she is gone. Too many horror stories about step-dads that can't control their temper while watching the kids. God be with all of you!!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:40 AM

In some states, grandparents do have rights. This sounds like you need to find some legal help for sure. If you look in the phone book, they usually have some kind of "legal aid" where you pay a small fee and they can help you pick out an attorney that has experience in that particular field, then maybe you could see him/her and see if they would take the case pro bono. I do hope you get to keep the boy or boys, if the one doesn't want to live with his dad. As far as your daughter is concerned though, there's not a thing you can do about it. She's an adult, and even if she's heard things about this guy, it's not going to change anything, but she'll find out how "good" her life will be.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if you could contact Legal Aid in your area??
My heart truly goes out to you. This is a really sad story.
PS I think first visits to any lawyer are free.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:48 AM

Hi - I am sorry this is happening to you but as far as grandparents rights I don't hold out much hope. Your DD has a right to marry anyone she wants and move anywhere she wants. I don't think any court will allow a 6 year old to decide who he wants to live with.
You may get the court to agree you have a right to see them, but there is the problem of getting back and forth.