Granite Composite Sink

Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 AM

Default Granite Composite Sink

I am in the market for a new kitchen sink. I have a cast iron one that I am so tired of because of the black marks from pans that I can not get rid of. It always looks bad. I am looking at a granite composite sink. Does anyone have one and how easy is it to take care of. It would be a light color, not black, because of the color of my granite countertops. Any info would be helpful.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

I have a stainless steel sink myself because I like to use comet and bleach to keep it germ free. I don't know if a light granite sink could take the abuse that mine does. If you gently use your kitchen sink then it would probably be fine. I know that I will be replacing the 10year light marble top and sink in my bathroom this year due to staining.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:08 AM

I know granite countertops need maintenance and wonder how a granite sink would hold up over years of use. We replaced our old sink and tile countertops last year with quartz countertops and a stainless steel sink. I really like a white sink but, as you noted, they do get marked up so stainless steel was a compromise. Quartz looks like granite but that wasn't why I chose it, it's maintenance free and the only cleaner I was told to use was Windex.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:24 AM

Have u tried "Bar Keepers Friend" or "Zud" liquid, I get it at Orchard...either of these will get rid of the black marks, the only thing I have found...
Old 05-16-2012, 06:24 AM

We had a custom made composit sink put in our main bathroom 2 years ago. I have not had a problem and it looks brand new. Do not use cleansers though, read the instructions on delivery for the type of cleaners to use.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

not to try to change your mind, but there are companies that put new coatings over cast iron sinks.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Cast iron would be better than anything else you could buy, Justr my opinion We replace a steel bathtub and have since regretted it a lot. I have had two stainless steel sinks and only use scrubbing bubbles spray on them. I am not afraid of germs as they do not grow on stainless steel.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

Are your granite countertops light or dark? If they are light, you might want to consider a dark sink for contrast. There seems to be quite a bit of information on the net if you Google. I found this discussion at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/home%20i...x3CQZH54JTWDZU
Old 05-16-2012, 03:25 PM

I'm another stainless steel sink fan. They clean up easily and beautifully.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:43 PM
BMP

I have an almond color cast iron sink, for the black marks I use the Glass top stove cleaner with one of those scrubbie pads, it works and doesnt scratch the surface. I had stainless steel for years and prefer the cast iron...never could keep up with the water marks on it which drove me nuts !!!