Granite Composite Sink

Old 05-16-2012, 05:10 PM

I have stainless sink in my kitchen and I use bleach and anything on it. If I wash a chicken , you can bet there are germs on the sink from the water and chicken. It always shines.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 AM

Thanks for all the info. I have had stainless steel sinks in other houses and wanted something different. My cast iron sink has a beige/almond color coating. My granite countertop is a mixture of beige, browns. I love it and is so easy to take care of. The builder put this sink in when we built 8 years ago. I will try your suggestions for cleaning.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:12 AM

I have a granite composite sink and love it! I have had it for about 5 years now and no problems. They are very durable, not at all like a granite counter top. They can handle hot pans (up to 450 degrees, I think) being put in them with no water in the sink. Mine is black, doesn't scratch, I just clean it with dish soap or soft scrub and it looks like new again!
Old 05-17-2012, 04:18 AM

I have been professionally cleaning homes for many period's in my adult life. Right now I'm a teacher out of work and back to cleaning. It's not a bad job, but I do have to be careful as to not damage granite, marble etc. After doing some research I learned that both granite and marble are a natural derivative from limestone. Vinigar is a no no, windex or anything with alcohol is another no no. These chemicals will actually break down the stone in time. Yes, the company's do put a sealer on the granite or marble but it does wear thin in time. I personally would not get a sink that is a granite composite because the seal won't last very long and I don't think it would hold up very long. This is of course true if your kitchen is used. Some people have the most beautiful kitchen's and rarely cook in them. If this is the case a granite composite would be fine. Barkeeper's friend or soft scrub should clean the sink you have just fine. Grace
Old 05-17-2012, 04:57 AM

I have a white granite composite kitchen sink that I love. However, I would recommend going with one of the darker colors that are now available as I have found that tomato based products will stain. I am able to remove tomato stains by spraying the sink with Fantastic with Bleach and letting it sit, but if I had it to do over again, I would definitely go with a color other than white. Hope this helps !

Kathie
Nova Scotia
Canada
Old 05-17-2012, 05:14 AM

I have a granite sink in black & so far I am very happy with it. My old sink was white & it was getting so hard to keep white. It was a composite mix & yellowed from from wear & tear. I was constantly using Mr. Clean with bleach to keep it at least looking decent. I have only had my black sink for 3 months but so far it is no problem to clean or maintain. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:24 AM

I too have a granite composite sink in black and LOVE IT! I was worried about black showing water spots but just clean with soap and water and then use the granite cleaner and it looks brand new. I think the granite cleaner is a wax but I don't think I would get any other kind of sink again.
Good luck on your decision!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:49 AM

We had this in our last home (stainless sink, quartz counters). Loved the combo and it was so care free! Now I have stainless sink with Formica type top and tile edging. Would go back to quartz in a heartbeat.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:06 AM

stainless steel is and always will be my choice for kitchens........a good quality of course. All this fancy granite, which needs a lot of tlc is good for kitchens that are only there because they come with the house. My other wonder is the bathroom sink that looks like a salad bowl??????seems more time cleaning that than a regular sink.....unless of course if it only there for looks too!!!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:04 AM

Thanks again for the comments. I find the granite countertop I have the easiest thing to take care of, always looks good and I love it.