Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone had this issue? (Dental problems) >

Has anyone had this issue? (Dental problems)

Has anyone had this issue? (Dental problems)

Old 03-24-2010, 06:30 AM

Just wanted to share my current issue and see if anyone else had experienced anything like it.

I'm 29 years old, had pretty good teeth most my life. I had a few cavities here and there as a child but middle school was the last time I had a cavity filled. I've been to the dentist off and on (always depending on dental insurance coverage) through my adult life and always had a clean check up. I floss EVERY day and brush twice a day as well.

I was at a local dentist about two years ago, got my teeth cleaned and everything was fine. They took the bite wing xrays and said I was good to go. I know I should have been in sooner than two years but life was busy and I kept putting it off. Finally I made an appointment for my oldest to get his first cleaning and check up, and made an appointment for myself as well. This is with the same dentist as two years before. The assistant cleaned my teeth, said everything looked fine except for one spot on one of my back teeth. Said it looked a little dark and wanted the dentist to look at it. The dentist looked and said it did look dark so we better get some xrays. They sent me back out to the waiting room to wait for the films to develope. The dentist called me back in about 10 minutes later and told me I had 13 cavities. 13 cavaties?!!! I told her I had never had that many in all my life, let alone at one time. She said, "Well I have people like this that come in and have a lot wrong at one time. I tell them, "Well you haven't been in to a dentist in 20 years so a lot of stuff can happen in that amount of time." There's a big difference in 20 years and 2 years though!

She wrote me up an estimate to get them all fixed and it was over $2,000. The company my husband has health insurance through doesn't offer dental so we'll be responsible for the whole amount. (Don't get me started on the health insurance crud though!)

Anyways, my husband and I are having a hard time swallowing that I got 13 cavities in 2 years. On the other hand I can't believe the dentist would lie to me, or not be skilled enough to diagnose properly. So we figured our only option was to get a second opinion from a different dentist. I have another appointment in a week and a half. I am hoping and praying he tells me good news.

Has anyone had something like this happen to them? Been fine most your life, then all of a sudden have it sound like your teeth are going to fall out in the next minute?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:33 AM

I would get a second opinion. This doesn't sound right to me. I am not usually skeptical either.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:36 AM

Have you had a child in the last 2 years, both my sister and mother had a baby drain their body of calcium and their teeth were effected severely by it. They both have false teeth now as a result of having a baby. I am fortunate that it didn't happen to me but have my fair share of fillings.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by sdparent
Have you had a child in the last 2 years, both my sister and mother had a baby drain their body of calcium and their teeth were effected severely by it. They both have false teeth now as a result of having a baby. I am fortunate that it didn't happen to me but have my fair share of fillings.
At my last appointment (2 years ago) I had already had two of my three children, and nursed both of them for a full year. My teeth were all fine at that point. Since that appointment I have had my third child. But I took a full spectrum prenatal the whole time I was pregnant and while I was nursing. I also drink milk and consume other dairy products like it's going out of style. If I'm not getting enough calcium, no one is.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:41 AM

I think so!
As a child I remember being told I had 12 cavities. They filled one or two at a time. After about 2-3 of those visits the dentist retired and closed his office. I went to a new dentist and no cavities. Wonder how many of those fillings were really needed???

Glad you are getting a second opinion!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:44 AM

Wow Rachel, that doesn't seem right. I agree that a 2nd opinion is needed here.

SDParent, I have not heard of that before, but I don't have children either. Maybe that could be the reason.

13 seems like so many in 2 years. I'm glad you're going for that 2nd opinion. If both dentists feel the same way, then OUCH - in the mouth and pocketbook!

There's a medical credit card called Care Credit. It's for dental and mecical bills. If you put more than $1,000 on it, you can pay it off in 12 months interest free. The dentist's office has applications and I've used this credit card several times.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:45 AM

I had 4 cavities after having been to teh dentist just 6 months before. It was after I had my second child. Little buggers leached all the calcium. :0)
Old 03-24-2010, 06:48 AM

I had dental problems after having babies. I didn't get cavities, but I had gum issues. I've found out after research that not only is it calcium loss during pregnancy and nursing, but the hormones of both cause your gums to swell and or recede. This causes cavities. I was lucky to avoid any cavities, but I've had to have some extra gum work done over the years ($$) and be super diligent about flossing. My gum problems are over now, but they lasted for years after my last child was born.

We've had issues with our dentist and we don't trust her at all. If she said I had 13 cavities, I'd be getting a second opinion too. But, there is reasoning behind why you'd have cavities and dental problems after having so many children in succession. I hope your second opinion is a better one.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:48 AM

One time, I had kinda an uncomfortable feeling on one side of my mouth, told the dentist so, and they did bitewings etc...everything looked "normal" they said. It had been 6-7 years w/o a checkup (groan...I know....) so I was surprised when I didn't have any cavities. Six months later, go back, get cleaned, everything "ok", six months later...when xrays are ok...three teeth all in a row, cavities! Like, the teeth infected each other. I was pissed. I thought the dentist did it on purpose to make more money. I know, that's kinda conspiracy theory-ish isn't it? To this day, I don't trust dentists. Because how do you prove anything different than what they said? I love my current dentist, I loved my previous dentist, but still...I'm like...I go from zero cavities to 5 or six?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2 Doods
I think so!
As a child I remember being told I had 12 cavities. They filled one or two at a time. After about 2-3 of those visits the dentist retired and closed his office. I went to a new dentist and no cavities. Wonder how many of those fillings were really needed???

Glad you are getting a second opinion!
I am so sorry this happened to you, but it gives me some hope for my case. Thank you for sharing!