Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone had this issue? (Dental problems) >

Has anyone had this issue? (Dental problems)

Has anyone had this issue? (Dental problems)

Old 03-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Google Goddess

I would get a second opinion. Also my friend went to the dentist and found out that she was drinking too much fruit juices and the acid was eating away her enamel on teeth and having cavities.

Her dentist told her to watch acid foods and drinks and to use Synsodine Enamel tooth paste.

Karen "Craftybear"
Old 03-24-2010, 04:15 PM

Wow--that sounds fishy. It makes no sense to me at all.

My mother-in-law paid $800 for a crown, only to find out it wasn't a full crown after all--another dentist told her she didn't have one. She called the one who charged her and asked about it and he immediately sent her a check for $800. Guilty, or what?

The same week she received a letter in the mail to verify how many times she had visited a PT. Some kind of audit. She was supposed to confirm going for eight visits--but she only went for three! I guess the PT had billed the insurance company for all eight! :shock:

So--based on what's happened to her--and my dwindling faith in "no one would ever lie about such a thing!!"--I'd definitely get a second opinion.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:32 PM

Wow, Sharon, that was good information- thank you for writing it all down. I had a lot of dental problems after having my first son. Two of my fillings even fell out when I was pregnant. (Which most likely was because I threw up every couple hours for months and couldn't put a toothbrush in my mouth for about 4 months. Pregnancy was not easy for me.) I had always heard about the calcium thing, though and assumed it was true.

Also, the antidepressant information was useful since I take one and did not realize that it could affect my teeth!

Rachel- I, too, would get a second opinion before getting that many fillings! You are doing the right thing! I hope you can get a good resolution to this issue. Teeth are important.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:09 PM

Eighty (80) percent of the American diet is acidic. Everything we drink except for water and milk is acidic enough to destroy tooth enamel. By the way this make a great science fair project. Put a tooth in cola for 2 weeks and it will be gone. Have to take photos daily to record and mount because by the time the science ffair come the evidence will be gone.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:58 PM

I had great teeth all during my youth and teenage years. I have always taken very good care of my teeth. When I had my daughter 14 years ago my gums started to bleed and I did have a tooth get a cavity and break off. I didn't even know the cavity was there or would have had it taken care of before it got so weak. I had my son 11 months ago and I can tell you being pregnant with him has done some major damage to my teeth. For some women pregnancy can really affect your teeth. I have had outstanding union dental benefits for the last ten years so it was a surprise to go in while I was pregnant and have nothing wrong and go back six months later (after I had him) to find that even though my teeth still look good, I had many cavities developing along the gum line. For your own piece of mind get the second opinion, however, it is entirely possible in two years to get 13 cavities, especially if you have had children in that time frame.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:44 AM

There is a reason they say go every six months I think. And yes babies can totally affect your teeth andthe saliva in your mouth which can cause more cavaties. I hadnt had any for 14 yrs and then after my second baby I had six in just six months. Flopped over and wanted to cry. DAMNED IT! And yeah no insurance or a cap on what they pay is horrible. I would get some fixed, pay for those and then go for the others. Problem with cavaties is if they are next to another tooth it can cause the other tooth to decay too.. so you may be stuck getting them done. Ask for volumne discounts from the dentist. He is going to vacation somewhere nice on this one.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:37 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've got an appointment on April 5th with another dentist so we shall see then.

I don't drink anything but water, milk and tea (no sugar). I very occasionally will have a latte (once, twice a month at most) but I don't remember the last time I had a coke or a cup of juice. My kids are deprived too. :) But that being said, my husband drinks nothing but cokes and has never had a cavity in his life, no lie.

Sharon, thank you for your info. I'm assuming the woman that cleaned my teeth was licensed in whatever way the state requires. I'm not questioning that in any way. I just called her an "assistant" for lack of a better word. The dentist I saw did not offer to show me the xrays, but I didn't ask either as I figured I wouldn't be able to tell one thing from another. When I did ask how this could happen, she didn't offer up any kind of explaination other than it had been so long since I was seen.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:42 AM

I'm with sdparent; My mom lost all of her top teeth after having 4 children, her teeth were fine before that. thank goodness I didn't inherit that trait, my daughter has the problem teeth though, ( sorry honey, it's your dad's fault, really).
Old 03-25-2010, 05:24 AM

Your issue is most dis-heartening. It makes me wonder, also. Getting a second opinion is definitely the thing to do.
I have not had that happen to me, but sometimes needing business will cause perfectly reputable business people to do dishonest things.
Marta.
GOOD LUCK with your 2nd opinion.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:01 AM

I'm very skeptical. Get a second opinion. Fluoride has made it difficult for dentists to make a decent living, and not all of them are honest. That's not to disparage any dentists out there, but in any profession there are good ones and bad ones.